Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Accelerating quickly vs slow acceleration?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rocky

rocky

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

Just got my ffh SE 2014 today. Was always confused when reading the Prius forums about the topic. Wanted to see what my fellow fusioners had to say about this.

Which is best for saving fuel and improving mpg on a highway? Which is best for loca-city driving? Is there even a difference of city vs highway depending on the way you accelerate?
  • Wingmn likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Somewhere I have a thread on acceleration on the Fusion. What I do is start out slightly in EV when the battery charge is high enough and when ICE kicks on keep it at 2 bars on Empower, sometimes up to 3 bars, but keeping it at or around the 2 bar mark seems to work best.  That equates to about 2KW of power. It takes a very light touch to do this, but after practice it comes easy.

What I find doesnt work too well is granny driving it, seems that it wastes fuel driving like this.  Get up to speed as quick as you can, by keeping it around the 2 KW and back off as you approach it and then feather the pedal lightly to keep it there. Works pretty good.

• ptjones, GrySql and rjent like this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#3 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

Ditto on the explaination!
However I would add one point about accelerating. Yes keeping it at two bars is a good start I actually look at the arrows. Whenever possible I accelerate as fast as the arrow is still pointing up.
A little bit too much to start with I just lighten the load on the throttle to have the arrow pointing up.
  • GrySql likes this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 656 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Two Bar method is what I used for my record run and it is easy to use. :)

Paul

• GrySql likes this

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#5 OFFLINE   rocky

rocky

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

When you folks say 2 bars, what display setting are you referring to?

#6 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Empower display, first one up from the MyView. 

• ptjones likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#7 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Just got my ffh SE 2014 today. Was always confused when reading the Prius forums about the topic. Wanted to see what my fellow fusioners had to say about this.

Which is best for saving fuel and improving mpg on a highway? Which is best for loca-city driving? Is there even a difference of city vs highway depending on the way you accelerate?

Check out this thread: http://fordfusionhyb...onomy-tip-list/

It explains what trial and error has found to be the best. I'm planning to create a BSFC map for the FFH as well based on data I log with Torque to try to further expand this knowledge.

Somewhere I have a thread on acceleration on the Fusion. What I do is start out slightly in EV when the battery charge is high enough and when ICE kicks on keep it at 2 bars on Empower, sometimes up to 3 bars, but keeping it at or around the 2 bar mark seems to work best.  That equates to about 2KW of power. It takes a very light touch to do this, but after practice it comes easy.

What I find doesnt work too well is granny driving it, seems that it wastes fuel driving like this.  Get up to speed as quick as you can, by keeping it around the 2 KW and back off as you approach it and then feather the pedal lightly to keep it there. Works pretty good.

With the instant MPG gauge turned on, each bar on that screen is approximately 10 kW. I need to further test this to get an accurate measurement when running in EV mode and when running with the ICE on.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#8 OFFLINE   rjent

rjent

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 343 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Bronco II, F series PU, Black on Black Titanium Hybrid

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

I completely agree with this.  Don't baby it when leaving a stop light/sign, but don't push it either.  Get to the middle of the intersection in EV then transition to ICE and accelerate.  I also try to keep the battery charge at 50 percent.  If you do the ICE does more "pushing" than "charging" which IMHO is more effecient.

Just my .02

• acdii, B25Nut, ptjones and 2 others like this

#9 OFFLINE   HybridDragon

HybridDragon

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 27 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:FFH Titanium - Guard/Ceramic (Built 6 Aug 2014)
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

I have been driving my 2015 FFH Titanium for about 4 days now

I am obviously no 'old hand' like some of the forum participants, but I find the suggestions here very useful

I have found that when I 'baby' the acceleration when the ICE kicks in, I get a lot more "RRRRRRRRR" noise from the engine. If I press more firmly, without trying to drag race anyone, I get less noise and a more pleasing noise, if that makes sense. So I agree 'Granny" driving is out.

I have not been watching the screen to see how many bars I am running, but I will now and figure out where it operates best for me as far as noise and performance.

• corncobs likes this

#10 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,785 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:09 PM

Watch how much power the cruise control uses when you accelerate when you select resume. That's probably the best compromise.

• hybridbear, corncobs and Vlad Soare like this

#11 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

Watch how much power the cruise control uses when you accelerate when you select resume. That's probably the best compromise.

ECC is a very good coach!

As long the arrow is pointing up indicating that the HVB is charging you get the best of both worlds. Good acceleration and good FE.
  • hybridbear likes this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#12 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

Which is best for saving fuel and improving mpg on a highway? 

Unless you are a person who lets fuel mileage obsession take over your life, then the most important factor is SLOW DOWN, within reason.

It takes more fuel to go faster and to accelerate faster.

The other biggie is learning to anticipate stops and slow downs so you can slow down gradually without completely stopping.

Other than that, just drive the car and enjoy it.

Edited by Easy Rider, 06 September 2014 - 10:43 AM.

• Hybrider and RLMeadors like this

#13 OFFLINE   RLMeadors

RLMeadors

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 13 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

Unless you are a person who lets fuel mileage obsession take over your life, then the most important factor is SLOW DOWN, within reason.

It takes more fuel to go faster and to accelerate faster.

The other biggie is learning to anticipate stops and slow downs so you can slow down gradually without completely stopping.

Other than that, just drive the car and enjoy it.

I've had my 2014 FFH Titanium for 3 months now.  I live in the metro Atlanta area... and since I prefer not to be honked at, driving slow is not a very practical option a lot of the time. ;)  However, I have found the tips here on MPG to be extremely helpful.  Trying to get the best MPG is kind of a fun game for me.  I don't compromise my speed too much but have found that I can get pretty good MPG using the techniques found here.  Really happy with this car... And like you said, Easy Rider, it's just a really enjoyable car to drive.  That's the most important part as far as I'm concerned!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·