Riggo

Heated & Cooled Seats

I just wanted to say that so far I'm really liking these seats. They are much more comfortable than the regular Titanium seats.
The heated/cooled seats are the "sport performance seats." They have the same look as the non-heated/cooled seats but a fair amount more padding in them, and more side bolstering. I'm not sure if this is a change to all Titanium seats in the 2014 model, or just how the heated/cooled sport performance seats are made.
I used the cooled option for the first time today on high (it was around 55F out but my car had been sitting in the sun for a while and the cabin was pretty hot). It didn't take long before I felt like I was sitting on an ice bucket. The cooled seats do a really good job.
It's also interesting to note that these seats have a very quiet fan in them to blow the air through the seat, you can feel the a/c air lightly coming through the perforated parts of the seat. However, even when using the heated seat option the fan comes on. You can definitely hear the fan when they are on but it's not at all bothersome to me.

Edited by Riggo

Nothing like getting cold air blown up your backside! I know the ones in the F150 blew COLD air, you would get really uncomfortable in them after a while when on high.

I have to wonder if the fan is for moving seat air or if it is for a peltier cooler/heater heatsink? I can just hear the fan running when the seat heater/cooler is running. I don't feel any air moving out of the seats at all just warm/cool. A peltier makes sense because you can run the seat cooler with out the A/C pump being on.

Yeah Toz, I suppose that does make sense.

I have the heated seats, but I am not a big fan of them. I think cooled seats would be very cool (no pun intended!), but I guess I'll have to wait until my next car to find out.

I have the heated seats, but I am not a big fan of them. I think cooled seats would be very cool (no pun intended!), but I guess I'll have to wait until my next car to find out.

You mean your next FFH ;)

Um... could that be because you are in south Florida? ;)

Believe it or not, we actually get temps in the 40's sometimes. When it gets cold like that, I put the seat heaters on, but it takes long enough to heat that I think my own body heat would have heated up the seats almost as much. And when the heater is on high, it's actually too hot. To put it another way, I only like my buns toasted when I'm eating a BBQ burger!

why are there so few of these cars in dealer inventories? Very few have the heated steering wheel or cooled seats. Another option hardly ever seen in cars on the lot: inflatable rear belts.

These are new options for the 2014 model year and I'm guessing options that not a lot of people would get. I love the heated and cooled seats though. The added padding alone is worth it. On the regular Titanium seats I felt like I was sitting on a park bench.

Edited by Riggo

For some odd reason cooled seats make me feel like I wet myself. I really dont need my butt cooled off, but the lower and upper back being cooled off would be so much better, something these dont seem to do very well.

I haven’t even owned mine for 24 hours yet ;) But the cooled seats are awesome here in the south georgia sunshine. I have them set to come on with the remote start and will let the seats cool down BEFORE I sit in them. I’ll turn them off when I actually get in. They do indeed make you feel like you sat in something wet...

For some odd reason cooled seats make me feel like I wet myself. I really dont need my butt cooled off, but the lower and upper back being cooled off would be so much better, something these dont seem to do very well.

The cooling is only affects your butt, Even the 2013 MKZ and 2010 F150 is the same way only the butt portion is cooled. Never driven other cars with the feature so can't comment on them. Though I do wish it would cool your back also annoying to have a cool butt and hot back...

Edited by taullinis

The cooling is only affects your butt, Even the 2013 MKZ and 2010 F150 is the same way only the butt portion is cooled. Never driven other cars with the feature so can't comment on them. Though I do wish it would cool your back also annoying to have a cool butt and hot back...

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. Both front seat upper and lower cushions are cooled in the MKZ. Granted, the bottom cushion gets a bit cooler than the upper cushion. If you don't believe me, recline the seat all the way back, turn on the seat a/c to high, and listen. :)

Edited by SteveB_TX

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. Both front seat upper and lower cushions are cooled in the MKZ. Granted, the bottom cushion gets a bit cooler than the upper cushion. If you don't believe me, recline the seat all the way back, turn on the seat a/c to high, and listen. :)

Agreed. My 2014 titanium with cooled seats most definitely cools your back.

If you don't believe me, recline the seat all the way back, turn on the seat a/c to high, and listen. :)

I wonder how you came to that idea / solution ;)

The 2012 F150 cooled back and butt nicely, the Flex though took a long time before it started cooling, and even though it did have back cooling, it didn't work very well. Verdict is still out on the MKT, only had a couple days warm enough to try it and it didn't seem to cool. The heaters on the HyTi though are great. They get very warm, in fact if left on high too long it will feel like my butt is on fire, but feels so good on my back.

The 2012 F150 cooled back and butt nicely, the Flex though took a long time before it started cooling, and even though it did have back cooling, it didn't work very well. Verdict is still out on the MKT, only had a couple days warm enough to try it and it didn't seem to cool. The heaters on the HyTi though are great. They get very warm, in fact if left on high too long it will feel like my butt is on fire, but feels so good on my back.

Your butt is either too cold or too hot! Make up your mind already! ;)

So driving into work today I turned the cooled seats on to see if I could notice them getting cool on the back and will admit i was wrong about them and they do (Though my butt still felt like an ice-cube by the time I noticed). Also as far as the MKZ I have only used them 1 time from the passenger seat and didn't have the on long just playing with it (The MKZ is my dads so I am not in it often). So probably just didn't give it time for the back to cool down a noticeable amount. It does seem to put cool air out of all the perforated portions of the seat.

Your butt is either too cold or too hot! Make up your mind already! ;)

< not a cold ass, or a hot ass, just a big ol Smartass. :)