I discovered a crack in my moon roof yesterday. It runs across the entire glass, looking a bit like Charlie Brown's shirt. But, before I get this glass replaced, I wanted to run it by the 12,000 members-strong Forum to see if this has been experienced by any other 2013-14 FFH owners. My assumption is that this was probably caused by our lovely Houston roads, happily flowing traffic, courteous drivers and random @^%!#&^$!! (stuff) kicked up by others' tires. But there is no obvious chip or starting point for the crack, so I can't rule out the possibility of a design or quality issue. Thus, I post.

Any others?

I discovered a crack in my moon roof yesterday. It runs across the entire glass, looking a bit like Charlie Brown's shirt. But, before I get this glass replaced, I wanted to run it by the 12,000 members-strong Forum to see if this has been experienced by any other 2013-14 FFH owners. My assumption is that this was probably caused by our lovely Houston roads, happily flowing traffic, courteous drivers and random @^%!#&^$!! (stuff) kicked up by others' tires. But there is no obvious chip or starting point for the crack, so I can't rule out the possibility of a design or quality issue. Thus, I post.

Any others?

In this weather not many pay attention to the moonroof. But now....everyone is running out to their cars and checking. None on either of my cars.

Edited by hermans

Any others?

keybman,

Let me lend you a hand. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can best assist.

Ashley

In this weather not many pay attention to the moonroof. But now....everyone is running out to their cars and checking. None on either of my cars.

Since I am either garaged at home or at work, and the weather here in Houston has been colder than usual, but nothing like the rest of the country, my assumption is that weather is not the culprit. You are right, though, as I had not looked up at the moon roof in several weeks.

keybman,

Let me lend you a hand. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can best assist.

Ashley

Thank you, Ashley. Didn't expect your response, but appreciate you stepping forward. :)

Given the cold weather the northern states and Canada have been enjoying (I jest :yahoo: ) it would not surprise me that this could happen. No flex in cold weather, but it could just as easily been a stone that hit and even in slightly cold temperatures, could cause a crack. Now Houston, well it comes as a surprise that cold weather even happens there... :) Will be interesting if Ashley can do something here. Maybe a few windshields need special attention also....anyone?

Edited by inco

I've had a similar experience that I'd like to share FWIW, although it was not with a FFH. The summer of 2007 I was driving my 2003 Toyota Camry SE on a stretch of I-5 with no overpasses or significant traffic when I heard a very loud "Crack!" Sliding back the moonroof shade revealed a large crack such as you describe in the moonroof glass. I'll not dwell on the ensuing nightmare involving gradually deteriorating moonroof. duct tape, etc.

I subsequently took the car to a Medford, OR Toyota dealer, fully expecting to be told, "It's out of warranty and it's glass -- call your insurance company." A call from the dealer to some higher authority resulted in an appointment for the dealer to replace the moonroof, which was performed at no cost.

I'll be interested to see how your FFH situation works out. Incidentally, we ordered our current FFH without a moonroof.

UPDATE:

The area Ford Service rep contacted me and asked me to drive 25 miles to the local dealer to "take some pictures". I did and they noted that there was no impact point, just the long crack with no point of origin. Then they called the next day and asked me to drive to the dealer again for "more pictures" that the engineering team was requesting. I did, and then got a call the next day asking me to drive to the dealer AGAIN - this time to "open and close" the moon roof to check whether it was missing the track. And then, I got a call from the dealer today telling me basically nothing that we didn't know before - no idea of origin or cause, but that it was not covered under warranty.

So, at this point, I am dealing with my insurance company to get it replaced, but sure wish I hadn't had the "Ping-Pong" treatment by Ford for the last week. 3 trips to the dealer at their request, and no results, no helpful information, just extra mileage on my vehicle at my expense, along with a cracked piece of glass over my head all week.

Makes me question whether I should have posted anything publically asking about others' shared experiences. <sigh>

UPDATE:

The area Ford Service rep contacted me and asked me to drive 25 miles to the local dealer to "take some pictures". I did and they noted that there was no impact point, just the long crack with no point of origin. Then they called the next day and asked me to drive to the dealer again for "more pictures" that the engineering team was requesting. I did, and then got a call the next day asking me to drive to the dealer AGAIN - this time to "open and close" the moon roof to check whether it was missing the track. And then, I got a call from the dealer today telling me basically nothing that we didn't know before - no idea of origin or cause, but that it was not covered under warranty.

So, at this point, I am dealing with my insurance company to get it replaced, but sure wish I hadn't had the "Ping-Pong" treatment by Ford for the last week. 3 trips to the dealer at their request, and no results, no helpful information, just extra mileage on my vehicle at my expense, along with a cracked piece of glass over my head all week.

Makes me question whether I should have posted anything publically asking about others' shared experiences. <sigh>

Ashley wasn't able to do anything for you?! I'm surprised.

I wouldn't have been as willing to spend my time and gas money traveling to and from the dealer without some sort of compensation.

I agree, HB. I left a message for Ashley to see if there is any additional remedy going forward.

I finally received the answer from Ford this afternoon after numerous attempts to reach the CSM. Even though 3 different technicians found NO impact point, NO origin point or cause for the crack, it was still deemed to be "non-warrantable". Apparently, DESPITE what the service dept techs had said verbally upon inspection, the engineering consensus was that this was due to road hazard.

No recourse. No compensation for multiple trips to the dealer at their request. Nada. Nothing. Done deal.

And it only took 27 days to tell me this.

Sorry to hear that they found no cause. I imagine, if there was an impact point, that would be something that your insurance might have covered for you?

After all the testing that I assume is done to cars prior to things being approved for production, Ford has determined that the car had to have been 'wrenched' or 'twisted' enough for the crack to occur. No other likely explanation other than a road hazard to explain it.

As for the time and gas you used trying to be helpful, I would be approaching your dealer for a free oil change or something, so they can hopefully retain you as a customer. A good will gesture is a 'good' thing. :) Thanks for the update.

I finally received the answer from Ford this afternoon after numerous attempts to reach the CSM. Even though 3 different technicians found NO impact point, NO origin point or cause for the crack, it was still deemed to be "non-warrantable". Apparently, DESPITE what the service dept techs had said verbally upon inspection, the engineering consensus was that this was due to road hazard.

No recourse. No compensation for multiple trips to the dealer at their request. Nada. Nothing. Done deal.

And it only took 27 days to tell me this.

Sorry to hear this...I agree with inco, hopefully you'll get some compensation from the dealer. Or perhaps the dealer could fix this for you our of their "Customer Satisfaction" budget.

You could have Insurance cover it, then Insurance will go back to Ford and try to recover the costs.

UPDATED UPDATE: I received a call this morning from the dealership (PF), saying that they were going to cover the glass under warranty after all. :drop: They have ordered the glass, it will be in tomorrow, and they will replace it on Thursday.

Totally unexpected, and not solicited by me, but I am very grateful. Don't know if this is a result of the Customer Satisfaction program HB referred to, a change of heart, or a reexamination of the case, but I am certainly satisfied.

I already love the car. Now I am growing a strong affection for the dealership, Thank you, Planet Ford! :love_shower: And thank you, Forum members for your input - much appreciated.

I am told that it was the dealership that took the initiative to resolve this so positively. But, without Ashley taking the time to respond to my general inquiry in this forum, and then following up with the area CSM, this result would not have occurred.

In this world, it is often possible in our jobs to just dial it in. So, I am VERY appreciative when individuals, especially those in a customer service position, choose to take a step forward and offer their help. Those kind of people are my heroes.

It's very heartwarming to have these kind of things happen. In our cold and indifferent world (much to our own fault) it is really nice to have a company care. I certainly would favour that dealership and reward them by sharing my experience, as you have. Gee, I'm getting weepy, I better stop. :sneaking: Happy Easter.

I am told that it was the dealership that took the initiative to resolve this so positively. But, without Ashley taking the time to respond to my general inquiry in this forum, and then following up with the area CSM, this result would not have occurred.

In this world, it is often possible in our jobs to just dial it in. So, I am VERY appreciative when individuals, especially those in a customer service position, choose to take a step forward and offer their help. Those kind of people are my heroes.

Thank you so much, keybman. You've made my day. I'm glad everything worked out for you!

Ashley

Hello , I'm from Brazil and I own a 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Ecoboost , I have problem in sunroof, the glass cracked from one end to another for no apparent reason , there is no point of impact , I'm two months trying to get Ford make the exchange under warranty. Unfortunately here in Brazil Ford does not have the same respect they have with the customer first World Countries. I'm sorry for spelling errors.

Edited by Toniolo

Hello , I'm from Brazil and I own a 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Ecoboost , I have problem in sunroof, the glass cracked from one end to another for no apparent reason , there is no point of impact , I'm two months trying to get Ford make the exchange under warranty. Unfortunately here in Brazil Ford does not have the same respect they have with the customer first World Countries. I'm sorry for spelling errors.

Hi Toniolo,

I recommend reaching out to Ford Brazil's Customer Relationship Center at 0800 703 3673.

Meagan

Ugh, this just adds another reason to my general hatred for moonroofs, especially in other cars where they're forced into option packages. If I hadn't bought a pre-owned FFH, I definitely would have omitted the moonroof.

Hope you get it fixed without too much difficulty. Try to see if it can be done cheaply without claiming insurance otherwise it'll show up on the record and affect the resale value (even though the chances of the next owner using it are slim).

Hi all,

Heard this on the local news and thought I would share this information as a follow-up:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/money/how-to-prevent-car-sunroofs-from-shattering-spontaneously/34342698

For those preferring not to use the link, here are the important parts:

1) Multiple factors involved in sun/moon roof incidents in recent model years

2) Main issue involves the use of thinner materials

3) Car makers are under federal pressure to produce better fuel mileage

4) With thinner materials, and thinner metal, you get more movement

2 suggestions for prevention from this article:

1) When it's really hot, leave the shade to the sunroof open so that heat doesn't build up, putting additional pressure on the glass

2) Get the sunroof tinted on the inside to prevent glass showerage if it does break (factory tint will not likely help)

Edited by keybman