Ryan Goodlett

Keyless Entry works...sometimes

So I lock my car using the touch of the handle. Sometimes I am gone for 30 minutes and other times 12 hours. When I come back, I grab the handle of the car with the key in my pocket and the car doesn't unlock. Take the key out of my pocket (didn't hit any buttons), pulled the handle and still nothing hoping for a range issue or line of sight issue (which there really shouldn't be one anyways).

I have found that touching the key code on the driver door and getting it to light up red with the numbers seems to wake up the car and the system comes back to life and works as intended.

All of the buttons on both keys work just fine as I can click the unlock button and the doors unlock immediately. I am only having issues with the keyless entry.

2014 Hy Ti FFH with all options but the adaptive cruise.

Thanks,

When you touch the inside of the door handle the car sends out a low frequency signal that the IA key receives and responds to which tells the car it's okay to unlock the door. There have been reports of problems with this handshake by several people. Have your dealer test the system. I think the fix was to replace the security radio assembly in the car.

Sounds like a module issue. Maybe your hands are too dry. :) When you wash the car with your key in the pocket, and spray the door handles the locks will cycle. See what happens when you do this.

So I lock my car using the touch of the handle. Sometimes I am gone for 30 minutes and other times 12 hours. When I come back, I grab the handle of the car with the key in my pocket and the car doesn't unlock. Take the key out of my pocket (didn't hit any buttons), pulled the handle and still nothing hoping for a range issue or line of sight issue (which there really shouldn't be one anyways). ...

Ryan,

Let me lend a hand with this. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look at some options for you.

Ashley

Our 2014 is also doing this... it's going to the dealer for this, and a laundry list of other issues.

The problem with this particular issue is that it's so random, I expect the dealer won't be able to replicate it (and therefor not fix anything). We'll see.

Yep. Count me in as having the same problem. I now just touch the rear drivers side door handle to unlock the car when it happens, which is pretty frequently.

Sometimes when it happens and after I unlock the car with the rear door handle, I'll sit in the front seat and the horn will honk twice as if the key is out of range. The same way It honks if you have the car on and start walking away with the key in your pocket.

Edited by Riggo

Yep. Count me in as having the same problem. I now just touch the rear drivers side door handle to unlock the car when it happens, which is pretty frequently.

Sometimes when it happens and after I unlock the car with the rear door handle, I'll sit in the front seat and the horn will honk twice as if the key is out of range. The same way It honks if you have the car on and start walking away with the key in your pocket.

I have had the same issue a few times but not often enough to be able to take it in. Today I had the honking issue as well.

I will keep an eye on this thread.

Sounds like the receiver in the drivers door is bad.

I'll have to check with my ford dealer on my next oil change because I'm having the same issue.

Picked up our's from the dealer on Saturday. The service notes said that they were unable to replicate this problem, so no action was performed.

If the small group of us in this forum is having this problem, odds are it has to be fairly wide-spread. Maybe if we make enough noise Ford will recognize the issue at put out a TSB?

Yeah, if they have to replicate the problem I'll probably never get it fixed. It doesn't happen all of the time.

I also hear a very small rattle from the door area where the keypad is, I wonder if that is related. Up until the last time it happened to me touching the keypad solved the problem. The last time it happened I wanted to open the back door first and it would not unlock at all. I had to get the key out of my pocket.

I notice as I am writing this that FordService is reading this topic hopefully she can help us with this problem. I intend to talk to my dealer service department to see what they will do as I have not taken my car to them yet.

James

Hi everyone,

If you're having trouble with your keyless entry function, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Ashley

My module was replaced for the touchpad, It will unlock correctly but wont lock. It sometimes will, but most times wont, even after letting all the lights turn off.

Hi everyone,

If you're having trouble with your keyless entry function, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Ashley

Thanks Ashley, I feel like I need to give my dealer a chance to fix it before I have you get involved. If they can not fix the issue then I will PM you.

James

My module was replaced for the touchpad, It will unlock correctly but wont lock. It sometimes will, but most times wont, even after letting all the lights turn off.

I have been hearing a little rattle from my left shoulder area of the car, I have been wondering if there is a lose wire for the touchpad that maybe effecting this.

Thanks Ashley, I feel like I need to give my dealer a chance to fix it before I have you get involved. If they can not fix the issue then I will PM you.

James

You should get Ashley involved from the beginning. This will help insure that the dealer does it right. Her purpose in being on this Forum is for exactly the situation you're in, not for cleaning up messes after dealers screw up. She can do that too, but it's much nicer to get her involved from day one.

You should get Ashley involved from the beginning. This will help insure that the dealer does it right. Her purpose in being on this Forum is for exactly the situation you're in, not for cleaning up messes after dealers screw up. She can do that too, but it's much nicer to get her involved from day one.

If jpgale's dealer has previously failed to fix the problem or is not responsive, then I agree that it would be time to get Ashley involved. If the service department has not been informed of the problem yet, then in my opinion jpgale's approach is the correct one and will lead to a better working relationship with the service department. Give the dealer's service department a fair chance to fix the problem before going over their head. Establishing a good working relationship from the beginning with your service department is very important. Only my opinion.

If jpgale's dealer has previously failed to fix the problem or is not responsive, then I agree that it would be time to get Ashley involved. If the service department has not been informed of the problem yet, then in my opinion jpgale's approach is the correct one and will lead to a better working relationship with the service department. Give the dealer's service department a fair chance to fix the problem before going over their head. Establishing a good working relationship from the beginning with your service department is very important. Only my opinion.

I don't know about this. Do we have reason to believe that getting Ashley involved leads to a bad relationship between customer and dealer? I'd like to hear her thoughts on it.

I don't know about this. Do we have reason to believe that getting Ashley involved leads to a bad relationship between customer and dealer? I'd like to hear her thoughts on it.

That is a fair question.

But, if I were to place myself in the shoes of the service manager I would be asking the following question: "Sheesh, the customer has not even contacted us about this problem or scheduled a service appointment and now I have a corporate service representative contacting me about this customer's probem?"

Without question there are times when it is necessary to go outside of channels and appeal to the next higher level in the escalation process. But in my humble opinion that should happen after you have given the service department a fair chance to resolve your problem.

Edited by Texasota

That is a fair question.

But, if I were to place myself in the shoes of the service manager I would be asking the following question: "Sheesh, the customer has not even contacted us about this problem or scheduled a service appointment and now I have a corporate service representative contacting me about this customer's probem?"

Without question there are times when it is necessary to go outside of channels and appeal to the next higher level in the escalation process. But in my humble opinion that should happen after you have given the service department a fair chance to resolve your problem.

This is my thoughts exactly, I feel that going above my dealer before they have even had a chance to take a look at the problem would be rude to the service department, at the end of the day they should have a chance to delight me. I also have another trick up my sleve, the father of a colleague of mine is one of the service techs at my local dealer so I am going to make sure I have some inside knowledge before I go.

I will let you all know the result, and if the problem is not fixed to my satisfaction I will involve Ashley. However as it only happens once a week, I have no idea how they can fix what they can't do.

James

Great question,

I can tell you from experience that having a Ford rep here in the forum make the first contact through FMC 360 (the system they use) is perceived by the dealer to be the abrasive approach. Let me give you some background on the FMC 360 program. It was formerly called CUDL (pronounced Cuddle) and its primary use was to resolve customer complaint when they (dealer and customer) had exhausted all resources at a dealer leading them to call Ford. It was Fords way to manage problems and issues kind of like the BBB, but from an internal standpoint (remember all dealers are independent franchises). CUDL produced a lot of good thing for customers and was a place for dealers and FoMoCo to find common ground in settling problems that were outside the norm. FMC 360 is a much more advanced site that allows better information flow and quicker resolutions. Since Ford has been making a positive effort to reach out to consumers online, like ourselves, they have taken FMC 360 under their wing using it in a manner that CUDL couldn't be used. FMC 360 is reviewed daily via emails by GMs, Directors, and Managers at dealerships as the "claims" are submitted. When Ford submits a claim from the site here, they use mileage, VIN and customer complaint. Then the dealer gets a FMC 360 notification stating that there is a customer or potential customer of theirs has a problem. How would you like to find out your customer has a problem for the first time via email? Kind of like your GF breaking up with you via text and now you have to fix it, but where do you start?. It takes the relationship completely out of the equation. There is pressure for a dealer to keep the FMC 360 slate clean. While it is there to remedy problems, many of the problems we are experiencing can be remedied just the same by us driving into the dealership on our own. As it sits right now, the Ford reps on here are scheduling appointments with a viewing window that allows them to review your specific issue and see the resolution as the dealer is required to respond. While this is good in several aspects, just think about you trying to do your job and someone is watching over your shoulder and then asking you to report on what you find and how you resolved it. I know I wouldn't want to work in this manner.

Some things I have read on here that could use the structure of FMC360.....Engine issues, transmission issues, major electrical issues, multiple failures of a part

Some things that I have read on here that don't need FMC 360....

This thread about the keyless entry not working sometimes, minor first time repairs, squeaky trunks, rattles,etc.

We forget that our vehicles primary goal is to take us from point A to point B. The rest is just convenience and luxury. The Ford reps on here are doing a great job and serve us in an awesome way, but we too can serve ourselves by making a phone call and setting up and appt. or driving into the service lane and building a relationship while explaining how important your cars issue(s) are and getting the almighty feedback. To summarize, there is noting but upside in making your visit with the dealer in person.

Hey everyone,

Ryan is right and offers a very good high-level overview of the flow of info. There are a couple things missing here, though. Once a case is created, it goes to, and is worked by, a customer service manager. These CSMs are assigned by region, and continuously work with a constant set of dealers. Our goal is not to be a replacement to customers visiting their dealer (we encourage it).

Our CSMs have a great working relationship (and are on a first name basis) with the service managers/dealers. The main objective is to partner with them to help ensure diagnosis of concerns for a quick resolution.

Having our structure in place is not only good for tracking engine, transmission, and major electric issues. Customer satisfaction is our goal across the board and, if we see something that looks as if it could be trending, it’s a priority for us to ensure it’s documented and addressed.

Hope that helps!

Ashley

I have been down this path twice. However it was my dealer who got the CSM involved. The first issue was with a 2012 F150 with Ecoboost. I would not get good MPG no matter how I drove it, and at the first visit I was informed by Ford, not the dealer, that I need to run Premium fuel in the truck in order to see good MPG. I had already factored in the addition gearing for max tow, and had the 20's swapped out with 18's, so with everything lined up getting 18 MPG was not an unrealistic number to achieve running 87 Octane. However due to the fact that they said it required premium fuel which directly contradicted what the owners manual clearly stated, the dealer setup a call with a CSM. They heard my complaint and made up for it with an extended warranty(there was also two other issues that were known problems with no fix in sight). They did work with me and while running premium did gain expected MPG, the difference in fuel costs worked out to costing me more overall.

The second time was well documented here last year with the Blue Devil, and I was basically told by CSM to go pound sand. That left me with not wanting anything more to do with Ford, but looking at other manufacturers cars, nothing compared to what they have to offer, so I took a second chance and am quite pleased with it, which also clearly shows that the first car Was defective!

Still peeved at Ford over that and hope I never have to deal with CSM again.