Sign in to follow this  
Gary Hall

Can I add a subwoofer to a 2014 Titanium?

In a non-hybrid you could add any needed batteries and up the output of the alternator to support the extra load. You can't do that in a hybrid. Well, at least not the FFH. :)

2400 watts at 12 volts is 200 amps. The battery in an FFH would last about 30 seconds with that kind of load on it.

If that! I can't even listen to Sirius XM for more than 15 seconds before the battery saver kicks in. The 12 volt batteries in these hybrids really suck! :(

You can put what ever you want in the car, but I can understand why Crutchfield says they cant, Limits their liability. If they install something that can draw more amps than the charging system can maintain and blows a module, then they can be liable for repairs. Its the CYA answer. The Fusion Hybrid system is carefully designed for efficiency and weight, and since the 12V battery does not need to provide high amps for starting, it has a low CCA, and is basically used to turn on the system relays, and let the DC/DC converter provide the needed current for the car. This converter would be powering your amps, and you draw too many you could damage it, and it is a Very expensive repair. If you add capacitors and a second battery and a way to protect the DC/DC converter, you could put any system you want in it, but at what cost, that is up to your pocketbook.

I know this is off topic, but I think they have that fixed now. I have sat in my car listing to the radio/usb/sat for over an hour with no battery saver message. We should do a compairsion to see if your battery and mine are the same.

I had the reprogramming done that supposedly fixed this issue. No dice. Anyway, my battery model is: BXT 99R 390.

Just think, in 10 years These will be the batteries she will be needing! :) Loud systems are nice, but man do they ever take a toll on your hearing. Still trying to answer the ringing in my ears. LOL What you also have to consider is the added weight of additional batteries, they will directly affect the gas mileage. With some owners still having battery saver errors with short trips, trying to charge 2 batteries could put too much of a strain on the DC/DC charger. Curious as to what the current capacity is on the charger.

It's not the size of the 12 v battery that's the problem, it's the DC to DC converter. A Ford document about adding electrical components to FFH's that were to be used in police work said that steady electrical load in some curcumstances was nearly 100 amps and that the DC to DC converter was 120 amps. In Florida people have been shot for having boom-boom cars. You should re-evaluate your priorities.

The DC to DC converter in the FFH is an integral part of the system. It is also water cooled by the electronics cooling system. It would be difficult to get into the high voltage system and add a compatible higher capacity converter. Adding another battery in parallel is the easiest solution if you could find a place for it.

Politically, I don't believe your vehicle audio system should be heard outside of the vehicle which most boomers are. PERIOD.

There's nothing different about the hybrid entertainment system except the FFH has a noise canceling system that uses the system even when it's off. It also obviously doesn't cancel audio that originates in the system but if it senses a louder noise than expected that might complicate the effort. They already probably have a subwoofer but I don't know if it's indididually powered or has active feedback correction that would complicate just tapping off the subwoofer drive into the add on subwoofer system. If the subwoofer is unpowered, you might try to just piggyback on it's low inpedance input and just hook up the power supply directly to the present battery. If it doesn't work, the battery will run down and you'll get a alarm. I wouldn't put the battery paralleling system in. The DC to DC converter system carefully analyzes the battery and if it sees a different battery impedance it might sense a fault. The Ford hybrids are very finicky about the 12 v battery. I don't think there's any room in the engine compartment for another battery. I assume the 2013+ FFH's have the battery up front like the Gen 1's, Prii do not, it's in the trunk and when the battery fails, you cant open the trunk and you have to crawl into it from the back seat to get the hatch open.

Bass takes A LOT of power current sometimes for seconds at a time instead of higher frequency transients that last for milliseconds. The bass peaks are less but as you know need a lot more RMS.

I've been an audiophile for 60 years and currently have a 5.1 home entertainment system with a medium priced Polk subwoofer. I am very pleased with it as it reproduces the cannon fire in "Master and Commander" very well. I have participated in the quest for good bass since the days of Acoustic Research AR 1s, 2s, 3s etc. Bach organ music requires it. Good luck.

Edited by lolder