Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Fusion Hybrid Powertrain Technical Analysis with Torque Pro & a ScanGauge

Fusion Hybrid powertrain Torque Pro ScanGauge XGauge

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

I've got a question related to the original topic from hybridbear. We've got a 7 month old Fusion Hybrid SE with 11,000 miles and a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with 120,000 miles. While the OP seems to be drawing similarities between the Fusion and Prius, I've found the Fusion and Camry to behave considerably differently. Is this really the case? No Prius experience here but I'd expect the Prius and Camry to be similar.

No Scan Gauge, but my observation of the Fusion operation is in agreement -- the ICE tends to either work hard or is off, maintaining most efficient operation (I'd presume). It is constantly cycling on and off, indicating either EV operation or low MPG. Speed limits (and my driving) rarely exceeds 65 MPH. The ICE is aggressive at cold start, charging the battery and quickly warming up to allow EV operation even in cold weather.

The Camry ICE seems more willing to run at different torque settings, even at lower speeds (<40) which allow EV operation. You have to work at getting it to cycle. It really seems to just want to use the battery for load balancing. The MPG gauge will easily maintain about 40 MPG constantly with a steady cruise, something the Fusion just will not do naturally. In freezing weather, it often refuses to enter EV mode at all. I wonder if this might have something to do with the NiMH battery limitations compared to the Li-ion in the Fusion? The NiMH batteries tend to lose capacity over time at a faster rate, yet fuel consumption doesn't seem to go up. The Fusion seems to have a larger battery reliance (although as you post, it, too, uses very little of its capacity) which might not bode well at 150,000 miles or more.

(As an aside, we are getting 5-10 MPG better with the Fusion, plus it's a much nicer car in just about every respect.) 

There are a lot of differences in the programming. The Prius & Camry are very similar. Toyota, Ford & Honda have all taken difference approaches to the programming of their hybrids. All achieve roughly the same gas mileage. Time will tell which system is the best.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fusion Hybrid, powertrain, Torque Pro, ScanGauge, XGauge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·