hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Powertrain Technical Analysis with Torque Pro & a ScanGauge

If the cooling system is always circulating, then how is the temp regulated?

@HB very nice stuff you are finding / writing here.

Now imagine that the computer got messed up during the initial "break in" or other reasons and the usable SOC (operating point) isn't were it should for some of the underperforming cars out there.

This could explain why the 100% SOC reset has helped in most cases to improve FE resetting all mapping tables and making the system aware of its real capabilities.

Good point. If the set base values are off from the beginning, it can cascade as time goes on. If the computer determines a full charge is only 40%, and discharge is only 30%, then you only have 10% efficiency of the battery. It does figure into the BD, because I rarely ever saw a charge above 60% while driving, while this one I can get a near full charge.

I think you can create a chart very similar to a BSFC chart using the OBD II data from the FFH, but it will take a lot of work. I am not expert on internal combustion engines, but from what I have read, the OBD II Absolute Load data, which measures volumetric efficiency (air flow into the engine), is linearly correlated with brake torque. So using this, Engine RPM, and fuel consumption rate OBD II data, you could synthesize a chart very similar to a BSCF chart. Unfortunately, the different measurements are not synchronized. They are read at different times up to a second or more apart. A lot can change in one second. So it will take a lot of work to make the necessary corrections for this issue and you won't get a complete map since the engine will not operate in all regions during normal operation. You can see a plot of Absolute Load vs. Engine RPM for a 30 mile drive on highways for my FFE here: "http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1880-obd-ii-data-for-ice/?p=12267".

I previously mentioned that it might be possible to create an Engine Map from the OBD II data recorded by Torque. I attempted to do that for my Fusion Energi here:

"http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1880-obd-ii-data-for-ice/?p=12414"

Since during normal operation the ICE only operates in a limited range of RPMs and Loads, I can only get a rough picture of what the actual map looks like.

I previously mentioned that it might be possible to create an Engine Map from the OBD II data recorded by Torque. I attempted to do that for my Fusion Energi here:

"http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1880-obd-ii-data-for-ice/?p=12414"

Since during normal operation the ICE only operates in a limited range of RPMs and Loads, I can only get a rough picture of what the actual map looks like.

I updated the Engine Map in the post at: "http://www.fordfusio...or-ice/?p=12414".

I had assumed that Absolute Load was linearly correlated with Torque as I had read in various articles. That turns out not to be the case. I updated the map to correct for this non-linearity.

Edited by larryh

For the Energi, the equation is

RPMs = -139.65 * mph.

The final drive ratio for the FFH is 2.57. For the FFE, it is 2.91. The tire size for the hybridbear's FFH is 18" and for the FFE it is 17". The tire diameters are 26.33 and 25.86 respectively, Thus the generator/motor/ICE must spin (2.91/2.57) * (26.33/25.86) = 1.15 times faster on the Energi than the Hybrid. Given hybridbear's computation, the comparable one for the Energi can be derived as follows:

RPMs = -120 * 1.15 * mph = -138 * mph.

That's close to the actual measurement. The generator/motor is rotating at 10.4 times the speed of the wheels, and each RPM of the wheels corresponds to 0.0745 mph.

Edited by larryh