hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Powertrain Technical Analysis with Torque Pro & a ScanGauge

Thanks to the goofy HVAC behavior documented in this post I was able to test this over the weekend. I saw the ICE coolant pump PID reporting 1200-1500 RPM and correspondingly the HVAC system was blowing warm air out the vents. It was very strange to have the A/C on and set to 73 F and then get the ICE coolant pump circulating hot coolant through the heater core so that the car would blow hot air out the vents while continuing to pull electricity out of the HVB to power the A/C compressor...what a strange design!

What was the outside temp? Lot's of systems leave the AC on and mix it with heat when the overall command is for heat. This is to de-humidify. I think the 2010-12s leave the AC on into ambient temperatures in the 40's at least I usually push it off then but frequently the windows start to fog so I turn the AC on again. If your system was calling for cold and added heat, I'll have to think about that one.

I use the 4-55 AC method. 4 windows down @ 55 MPH. Love it. I determined that in this case, driving with the windows down and sunroof vented uses less fuel than window sup and AC running. Quite the opposite of other cars.

Driving the same road every day gives you an idea of what kind of MPG you get. When there was a stretch of warm days last year, I drove one day with AC on, the next off with the windows cracked an inch in the back and the sunroof vented, did much better the second day. Driving with them all the way down though doesn't do as well, but it SURE felt good!

FORScan provides access to hundreds of PIDs. You can download it from forscan.org.

You should be measuring the 12 V battery level when there is no load on the battery, about 20 minutes after the car is turned off and all the doors are closed. The voltage should be at least 12.6 V.

A more complete list of PIDs is here, but you have to translate the X-Gauge codes: "http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6503-scangauge-ii-x-gauge-codes/?p=50199". See the following thread: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2757-obd2-%E2%80%93-elm-327-%E2%80%93-torque/

The lists are missing the headers, which are needed to specify the module containing the PIDs.

Edited by larryh

In my 2010, the 12 vdc static voltage is frequently a few tenths of a volt below what the specific gravity would correlate to. That's 20 %! The voltage /SG relationship is for a battery under no load and recovered from charging. I think the larger electrical residual loads in these cars are causing these lower voltages. The batteries usually pass load tests. There have been a LOT of bad OEM 12 vdc batteries in all the FFH model years. I've experienced the terminal voltage drop in my sailboat that had 660 ampere hours of 12 vdc batteries when there was maybe a 0.1 amp residual load..

Edited by lolder

Speaking of batteries, what would be a good battery to use in my trailer for running lights, and inverter, and chargers? Going to have a solar panel for keeping it charged up when not connected to the car.

At heavy load the ICE is direct coupled to the driveline, so the MG would be ineffective.

The definition of "heavy load" is important. Going up long hills in the western US at high speeds will exhaust the available EV assist and the car will revert to what the ICE can provide. During full throttle acceleration from a stop, all sorts of modes come into play. If output power from the generator becomes available as the result of it's managing the eCVT, it will assist the HVB with additional power to the motor. These relationships change from moment to moment. Look at this Gen 1 Prius simulator. Ford is similar. http://www.wind.sannet.ne.jp/m_matsu/prius/ThsSimu/index_i18n.html?Language=en?Country=US

Put a check in the Driving Mode box and select D. Operate the Accel or Brake sliders and watch all the complicated things that happen with RPM and energy flow arrows.

There are 4 stages to how the drivetrain works. First stage is pure electric, where, the traction motor supplies all propulsion. The second stage is mixed ICE/traction motor, where power is applied from both EV and ICE. Third is ICE assist, where the traction motor is propelling the car consuming energy from generator that the ICE is spinning. Fourth stage with where the ICE is locked to the main output shaft and providing all the power needed to propel the car. This last stage is the most efficient under heavy load since it would quickly drain the batteries and cause them to over heat.

Watch the battery symbols while driving, you can tell each stage by the up and down arrows. The most efficient stage is where the ICE is providing just enough generator energy to propel the car and not charge the battery and not consume energy from the HVB. This is where there are no arrows present in that display.

BTW you don't need max HP to climb a grade, just enough torque to maintain speed. The ICE alone has plenty to provide with some reserve to climb any grade.

FORScan provides the 12 V battery SOC, voltage, amps, and the DC2DC converter High Voltage Power and Low Voltage Power.

The BdyCM (BCM) provides the 12 V battery measurements:

BAT_CURRENT Vehicle Battery - Current
BAT_ST_CHRG Vehicle Battery - State of Charge
V_BATT_BCM Battery Voltage

The DCDC provides the power measurements (multiply current by voltage to get power in watts):

High Voltage side

ConvHiCurre DC/DC Converter High Voltage (HV) Current - Measured
HEV_Hi_VOL Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) High Voltage Bus - Measured

Low Voltage side

ConvLoCurre DC/DC Converter Low Voltage (LV) current
ECU_Pow_Supp Module Supply Voltage

I'm not sure that the Load Shed Control DTC is very useful. I think that is more informational than indicating there is a problem. I see it all the time.

It would be nice if you could record data while the car was off--but the ECU needs to be running to read any PIDs.

Edited by larryh