hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Powertrain Technical Analysis with Torque Pro & a ScanGauge

The car returns a number between 0 and 255 for HVB temperature So it can only return 256 different values. That results in the quantization that you are observing. The 9/5 = 1.8 comes from the conversion from Celcius to Fahrenheit. The conversion formula to Fahrenheit is:

A*(9/5)-58,

where A ranges from 0 to 255.

I have measured the circumference of the 17" tires using the same technique.

Wheel rpm = 13.438 x mph. So the tire circumference is 78.58312.

The 18" tires are 80.869965/78.58312 = 1.029 times larger than the 17" tires.

But note that this measurement is done with the car's weight on the wheels. The circumference would measure larger if the full weight of the car were not pressing down on the wheels.

Edited by larryh

When the FFH does the "laggy empower gauge" (described here) the ICE is working as an air compressor like when using engine braking when descending a mountain. This is very inefficient when the car does this. When this happens the ICE is consuming 1-2 kW of mechanical power @ ~900 RPM due to it having negative torque of 10-20 Nm. In most of my observations where this has happened the car is thus driving using power from the HVB. It must take extra power out of the HVB to overcome the resistance of the ICE.

I'd like to try to figure out what causes the FFH to behave this way at times to be able to stop it. In a number of my observations this behavior continues for more than 10 seconds which consumes a fair bit of power from the HVB.

I think the explanation for this can be found in the following patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US6600980.

This invention provides a strategy and system for a hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) that is not equipped with a hydraulic torque converter wherein a generator motor is utilized to maintain engine rotational velocity during up-shifting of the vehicle transmission in situations where the throttle of the engine is released. This invention can reduce undesirable torque reversals during up-shifting of the vehicle transmission in such situations where the throttle of the engine is released.

The engine appears to be directly connected to the wheels via the planetary gear system. When turning off the engine, the planetary gear system must up-shift to a lower gear ratio between the engine and the wheels so the engine can stop (when the engine is stopped, the final gear ratio is 0). If the ICE stops too fast, before the up-shift occurs, it will cause undesirable negative torque at the wheels, slowing the car down. The generator is used to maintain the engine rpm until the up-shift can occur.

But according to the patent, this occurs for only a second or so. So I'm not exactly sure what is going on.

Edited by larryh

When the FFH does the "laggy empower gauge" (described here) the ICE is working as an air compressor like when using engine braking when descending a mountain. This is very inefficient when the car does this. When this happens the ICE is consuming 1-2 kW of mechanical power @ ~900 RPM due to it having negative torque of 10-20 Nm. In most of my observations where this has happened the car is thus driving using power from the HVB. It must take extra power out of the HVB to overcome the resistance of the ICE.

I'd like to try to figure out what causes the FFH to behave this way at times to be able to stop it. In a number of my observations this behavior continues for more than 10 seconds which consumes a fair bit of power from the HVB.

I think when the ICE is braking downhill there is no energy coming out of the ( full ) HVB. The traction motor provides the electricity to operate the generator's coupling of the wheels to the ICE. Whenever the ICE stops or starts, the EV system puts appropriate transients into the mix so nothing is felt in the drive train. Ford has been the master at this. When the ICE starts, it is motorized to it's scheduled operating RPM and then the spark and fuel injectors are activated. As the ICE torque goes from negative to positive, the system produces smooth torque at the wheels. They may even reduce compression via valve and throttle manipulation while the ICE is spinning up to operating rpm to minimize vibration. They ramp the fuel flow up and down to make it easier to smooth.

I noticed that when going down hill (with down hill assist) the ICE spins up and turns into a compressor to help slow it down. The instant is pegged at 60 all white while the battery has the up arrow designating charging.

Edited by acdii

The ICE is on going downhill without the HVB being full? Interesting I never had that happen I usually hit the downhills assist button to maintain the speed.

I edited my post, That was with the down hill assist on.

It sounds like the down hill assist does automatically what the 2010-12 Gen 1 FFH brake pedal does when the HVB is full.

Edited by lolder

Driving a lot in mountain country I find this discussion most interesting, but I've got some bonehead questions. How do I tell whether my ICE is running or not? What screen configuration should I be watching? I can detect some changes in powertrain noise, but I've no idea what I'm hearing.

I've usually got my cruise control set near the posted speed limit, so accelerating doesn't seem to be much of an option.

Perhaps there's some part of the owner's manual that I need to study more.

Is there another pump for the heater core? If not, does the ICE pump run on heater demand when the ICE is off?

For the Fusion Energi, there is a separate pump for the coolant loop that includes the heating element. That pump runs independently of the main coolant loop pump. The main coolant loop pump only runs when the ICE is on. See page 98 of the following document:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM1303_HEV.pdf

I have tracked the SOC of the 12 V battery each morning for over a month now for the FFE. The min was 55% and the max was 84%. The average SOC is 69%. I have never seen a battery saver message (except when the car failed to charge the 12 V battery when the car was on and plugged into the charger, but the charger was turned off).

Edited by larryh