hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Powertrain Technical Analysis with Torque Pro & a ScanGauge

Very nice post. Is the transmission/battery 95% storage efficiency just the HVB in/out efficiency or the total gen-charg-discharge-motor loss? I guess it's just the HVB. With 5% for each the gen and motor that would be a total of 15-20% including the gears. The Gen 1 FFH was rumored to have a total EV loss of about 30%. More total EV efficiency raises the balance point speed between EV and ICE. The low BSFC zone in the FFH is probably 1500-2500 rpm..

Hybridbear, I just want to express my thanks for the impressive analysis you are doing on how our FFH's work and what it takes to optimizetheir performance.

We only acquired our 2014 FFHSE on Christmas Eve last, and my wife and I both continue to to drive just as we did with our ICE predecessors, but I truly value a source of better understanding this fascinating new machine.

Please continue to share the results of your interesting efforts.

Another fact is an Atkinson cycle ICE with lower BSFC can be used at near wide open throttle most of the time. By the way, in post #1, Fig.3 above, the solid upper lines is where the engines actually run almost all the time. When less power is needed, they go into EV mode. They never run at less than 1000-1100 prm. They only get off the line and out of the low BSFC zones briefly when the power demands change. That's why it's important to have a steady foot on the pedal.

Edited by lolder

Like many of our members, I am very interested but I lack some of the technical background. Can you elaborate on BSFC and add it to the acronym list? Also, I'd love to learn more about Adkison ICE vs traditional (and I'd be happy to google these if it's any trouble at all)

Like many of our members, I am very interested but I lack some of the technical background. Can you elaborate on BSFC and add it to the acronym list? Also, I'd love to learn more about Adkison ICE vs traditional (and I'd be happy to google these if it's any trouble at all)

BSFC is Brake Specific Fuel Consumption and is a measure of the efficiency of ICE's and a way to compare them. It may be expressed as grams of fuel per kilowatt-hour or other dimensions. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_specific_fuel_consumption.

The Prius fuel map graph figure 3 in post #1 is a quick study. The solid curvey lines denote engine operating zones with the BSFC labeled. The lowest are the best and are 220-230 g/kwh. The vertical axis is torque which equates with throttle plate oprning in a gas engine and the horizontal axis is rpm. The curvey dotted lines are power output which is the product of torque X RPM. It is desired to run the engine only in the shaded zones ON the upper solid line which is about full throttle ( plate opening ). Throttle plate position is not a function of your foot on the go pedal but is controlled by the computer. When you call for more power, the RPM is increased and a transient burst of EV power is added for quicker response. The upper left corner of the solid lines is the minimum power at which the engines are run and this is about 10 KW or 13 hp. That's why the EV cycles at lower speeds. When the HVB SOC gets low in EV, the ICE starts and generator load to raise the SOC is added to the power required to move the car so that the operating point of the ICE is on that solid line in a low BSFC zone.

The Atkinson cycle is a slightly different cycle from the Otto thermal operation of a gasoline ICE. It is arount 8% more efficient. The theory is that the compression stroke is shorter than the power stroke which yields greater thermal ( fuel efficiency ). The first Atkinson engines of over 100 years ago had a second rotating shaft that was connected to an articulating connecting rod to accomplish this feat. They were never practical. The modern Atkinson's which are used in most hybrids are pseudo-Atkinsons as they accomplish the same thermal cycle by closing the intake valve much later in the compression stroke. That's why the intakes are noisy as charge is blown back into the intake manifold and that creates the "growl". Atkinsons have less torque and power per cubic inch than Otto's ( most other cars ) but in a hybrid that is assisted by the electric motors so it's a complementary, co-operative marriage.

Hybrid ICE's are always run at high throttle ( plate ) settings and low rpm just shy of the "bucking" that you could get in too high a gear with manual transmissions. See here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle

Edited by lolder

ICE Operation Observations

Unfortunately I don't have a BSFC graph for the FFH 2.0L engine. However, based on my observations of hp and LOD readings on my ScanGauge I have a pretty good idea where it is...When the FFH SGII output shows 33-42 HP (24.6-31.3) I have observed a LOD of 95+. This is typically a 2 bar acceleration on the Empower screen. The FFH acceleration coach considers this to be efficient and returns the maximum score on the acceleration coach bar. If I accelerate more slowly, I only see LOD numbers in the low seventies to low eighties. When accelerating harder than this I still see a high nineties LOD but the ICE is too far off to the right on the graph and is out of the most efficient range. This leads me to believe that the peak BSFC region for the Ford 2.0L Atkinson-cycle engine is somewhere around 20-35 kW of power. I have asked Ashley a few BSFC related questions and have been told that this info is proprietary and that Ford will not share that info with me.

I think you can create a chart very similar to a BSFC chart using the OBD II data from the FFH, but it will take a lot of work. I am not expert on internal combustion engines, but from what I have read, the OBD II Absolute Load data, which measures volumetric efficiency (air flow into the engine), is linearly correlated with brake torque. So using this, Engine RPM, and fuel consumption rate OBD II data, you could synthesize a chart very similar to a BSCF chart. Unfortunately, the different measurements are not synchronized. They are read at different times up to a second or more apart. A lot can change in one second. So it will take a lot of work to make the necessary corrections for this issue and you won't get a complete map since the engine will not operate in all regions during normal operation. You can see a plot of Absolute Load vs. Engine RPM for a 30 mile drive on highways for my FFE here: "http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1880-obd-ii-data-for-ice/?p=12267".

Edited by larryh

Seeing that leads me to believe the real issue I had with the first car was the fact it never warmed up in my daily driving, even with both grills covered up. The only time I saw it get low 40 was when the service manager had been driving it back and forth on 14 for 4 hours. I would drive all the way to work and had very little heat. Even with the covers when I was in city traffic the temps would drop to 125*. Even driving in Florida in 70* temps it couldn't get 40. I haven't measured the temps on the one I have now, but I can tell you it doesn't have that issue, I have heat, and good gas mileage. It was 16* this morning and I managed to get 40 MPG.

You better practice a bit more. It was 12* over here and I got 43 this morning.

I have hilly terrain, and 55MPH roads, so getting what I get is right about what I expect. If it were all driving in 45MPH roads and mostly flat like CC drives on, I can see those numbers too! :)

Your biggest gain is from starting out slow, where right out of my driveway I am doing 55 MPH, and continue at that speed for a good 20 miles with stops and turns and acceleration back to 55. No real Hybrid roads until I get into CL, thats where I gain back some of the lost MPG. Terrain and speed have huge impacts on the cars.

When the ICE is off, the generator is not doing much at all except freewheeling when the car is in motion hence the low inverter temperature. When the ICE is on, it's doing a lot of things. It starts the ICE, charges the HVB, sometimes even partially powers the motor but above all controls the ICE RPM in conjunction with the computer to yield the power you are requesting with your foot. When you call for 30 hp worth of power, the system will operate the ICE at the RPM on the solid line of the figure 3 fuel map to yield that power ( kilowatts ). Remember the throttle is open almost all the way all the time so that's not how the RPM is controlled. It's controlled by the torgue load of the drivetrain, controlled by the generator, and the fuel injection. When the SOC is low, the system will add some more power to charge the HVB. That's usually observed by just a little more RPM.

Edited by lolder