DAS_FFH

poor gas tank utilization

You need the buffer for a reserve and to keep the fuel pump cool. . I would never allow mine to go below 1/4 tank.

I spend too much time in gas stations! My Ford Fusion Hybrid has a 13.5 gallon tank but seems to only use about 11 gallons of it. If I go past 0 miles to empty I may pump in 11 gallons of gas; normally just going to about empty I will pump in around 10 gallons. I spoke to a mechanic at my local Ford dealer and he said that you will never be able to use all of the gas in the tank. I can see having a buffer so that you don’t run out of gas immediately when miles to empty goes to zero but a 2.5 gallon buffer seem awfully large.

How many miles/tank fills are on your car? I was able to put 13 gallons in the hybrid on several occasions and the highest was 13.2 which was cutting it a bit close. However when the car was new the estimation was way on the conservative side since there was not an ample history built up.

Edited by jeff_h

I try to get within 10mi of 0 before filling up. I'm usually able to put 13 gallons in - which usually gets me around 500 miles before the next fillup. (New England winter is around 480 mi.) I don't have a complaint - other than how hard it is to pump beyond the 10th gallon. Clicks galore.

There is a simpler way to find out the tank capacity. First take a few tanks and average out the actual MPG, miles vs gallons. Now fill the tank, and multiply the MPG by 12. Forget what your DTE displays, drive it the number of miles your MPG *12 comes to, then fill the tank. If you put in less than 12 gallons, some digit is out of place.

If you do this a few times, your DTE will become closer to the real tank volume and not what it currently reads for those using less than 11 gallons.

Now if you run out of gas before your calculated DTE is reached, you do have an issue, or you were driving it to waste gas, and not driving it like you have been. Using 12 and not 13 is the safer method, as you are more likely to not run out of gas and have a potential issue down the line. Going to 12.5 is also an option, but I would keep it under 13 for safety.

On my car I should be able to drive 480 miles on 12 gallons, with a 60 mile buffer to dry tank. Based on 40 MPG average this time of year. Until temps are steadily above 50*. After that I should be up around 42 MPG consistent.

Accept it. It's still taking you 400 - 500 miles. That's about 7 hours of turnpike driving which is longer than most vehicles. More fuel is more weight which is less mpg. Many of the original 18-20 hour non-stop flights of 15-20 years ago now have a stop as it's cheaper not to carry all that fuel the first half of the flight.

Car companies are on a huge campaign to lower vehicle weight because it affects mpg. The Gen 1 FFH went 600-700 miles on it's 17.5 gal tank. That's far more than a mid-size family sedan is expected to go. They've saved probably 30 lbs. in the Gen 2 with the smaller tank for almost zero cost. That's the Ford goofiness.

Actually it does. A Prius weighs about 3000 lbs, about 20% lighter than an FFH. It gets 20 % better mileage. The X Prize for a 4 seat car that got more than 100 mpg was awarded to a one- off vehicle that weighed 800 lbs.