r.furborough

My Wife calls it a 'Grinding Noise'

Had a chance to look into the 'noise' issue this weekend and found that the transmission is also noisey when the vehicle is stationary.

With the vehicle stopped, the hand brake applied, I started the car, placed it in neutral and pressed the accelerator to the floor to start the ICE. Here is what I heard

http://www.www.littlecreek-va.com/temp/FFH Transmission Noise.mp3

The noise appears loudest at the back of the engine infrom of the firewall, this is where the recording was made. The engine starts at about 10 seconds and you can hear a knock in the background of the normal engine noise.

Unfortunately, the engine cannot be revved in this mode, so I was unable to reproduce the noise I normally hear.

Anyone care to see if their car can reproduce this.

Bob

In neutral you are not engaging the generator motor or traction motor at all. It would be nice to have video to go with the audio to see where the microphone was during the different sections of the audio. It doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard from my car.

I'm away from my list of TSBs and my tablet won't load the mp3. Is this the sound the TSB refers to from an extra bolt wedged between the body and transmission? It's quite old, around 6 to 8 months ago. The extra bolts just sit there and telegraph weird noises to the interior.