r.furborough

My Wife calls it a 'Grinding Noise'

but I do find it quite strange that no one else has reported this or a similar noises that are apparently normal in this type of vehicle.

Is this noise loud enough that you could record it with your phone? If so then you could post/refernce it here and others can see if it sounds familiar..

One other thing that wasn't mentioned, the noise cancellation. There is a chance you are hearing this kick in, I notice it every once in a while at certain times a low rumble.

I am wondering about a noise I am hearing in mine now. I dont know if its a bearing or a tire. I can feel it in the brake pedal too, sort of like a thumping grinding noise. It goes in Wednesday to have it checked out. It is most noticeable on a smooth road. The car is so quiet that even the slightest noise can be heard.

jeff-h: will certainly try to record the noise - it seems to come from the footwell area, more from the drivers side than the passenger, it's also one of those noises that your not quite sure how much you hear and how much is felt. BTW, I don't know how close we are to each other, I am in Norfolk, VA.

I am way up in Stafford County but will be in VA Beach this Saturday to run on Sunday morning, send me a PM if you want to get together for a few minutes on Saturday midday.

I'm betting on the ANC being the culprit. There are times where I hear it kick on when a truck or other loud vehicle goes by if I am at a stop light. Sounds like a low growl. Do you know if yours has the chamber on the intake tube?

There are no exterior belts or pulleys on the FFH. Everything is driven electrically now, and the battery is charged via a DC/DC converter. What you are hearing is most likely the startup sequence of the ICE. It does make a funky sound when started. The MG spins up the ICE, and once up to speed, the injectors and spark fire off the keep it running then MG switches from Motor to Generator. Sometimes when mine fires off it sounds like a can of rocks shaken quickly.