acdii

I Know I found a replacement

There is a 1000 HP Mustang on my dealers floor, roped off to keep people from touching it. Supercharged 5.0 Coyote. It belongs to a friend of the owner who had it shipped from Vegas where it was modified. ts a real shame how Ford puts the Flex at the back row and doesnt market it, there is nothing else like it in the market.

Unfortunately, the way Ford is treating the Flex, is one reason Mercury is gone, and Lincoln is struggling. I would have thought they would have learned their lesson about ignoring car lines/models when Ford almost went under a few years back. They put so much time, effort, and cash into trying to beat and/or keep up with Chevy and Dodge trucks and SUVs, everything else was ignored. Another example is the Ranger. I loved my Ranger, but did not want a newer model because Ford had stopped development of it, and was not going to replace it with a modern version. Sound familiar? I just hope I didn't make a HUGE mistake taking Fords word that they would do all that was needed to make Lincoln survive. I do not want to own an orphaned vehicle. I feel sorry for those that bought Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, Saturns (well, maybe not Saturns :) ), etc. just before GM cut those makes.

The Explorer is not a true 7 passenger vehicle, well, not unless one person is really skinny, that middle position in the second row is only a foot wide between seat belts. The Edge is the same, only a 4 passenger instead of 5. The Flex is the only true 7 passenger one they have. The Explorer is also an off road type vehicle, the Flex is not. I can't look at the Flex as being in the same category as either of the other two. It is much more car like than either of the two "SUV" you mention.

When you do a search on some car sites for a certain category, like 6 or 7 passenger Wagons, only 3 show up, the Flex, MKT and a Mercedes. Ford could make a lot more sales if they get rid of that horrible marketing team they have now and get one that showcases the cars instead of trying to entertain with silly stupid commercials. There are a lot of people shopping for something exactly like the Flex and would never buy an Explorer, but they wont buy the Flex because they don't know anything about it, so instead they go to other car companies instead, like Nissan for the Pathfinder, or Toyota for the Sequoia or 4 Runner. I have had a few people ask me about it, and they all say, wow, wish I knew about it.

That means one thing, FAIL on Fords part.

I disagree that they are the same seat. My wife fit comfortably between 2 car seats in the Flex, In both the Edge and Explorer her butt covered both seat belts. The Flex is also a more expensive vehicle than the Edge, the one I had listed at $50k, an Edge is $40K. So why wouldn't they want to promote it? Ford could sell a lot more Fusions too if they would advertise the features of the car, and that is where they are failing. Toyota has commercials showing the safety features, Ford doesn't, and Ford has some features in the Fusion that only higher end cars have, yet you wouldnt know that by watching their commercials.

You are sliding down a very slippery slope here. Take it from someone who has been married to the same woman for 40 years....don't go there.

See, You don't know my wife like I do. I Like big butts and I cannot Lie! She knows she's chubby and she knows I wont lie about it, and I love her just the way she is, and she knows it too. To me she is the most beautiful woman in the world, inside and out.

Finally got a trailer, was going to get this same trailer with the Flex, but I think the MKT makes it look better.

10270315_704120149630122_710551892262909

10153792_704120146296789_625217700906566

Looks like you have a lot of gas there - I suppose it's propane. Nice looking combo though for when you are horsing around! :)

1000 gallon Propane tank, we dont have natural gas here yet. We go through 3 fills a year. The tank only holds 800 gallons though. I spent the day putting a tile floor in it. I have to decide if I want to use Herculiner for the ramp or textured floor paint. I was going to tile it, but decided it might be too slick if it got wet.

Well the Explorer second row seat is exactly the same as the Flex and MKT, as in you can bolt one into the other. So if you can't fit in the middle of the Explorer, you can't fit in the middle of the Flex.

This has been bugging me since you posted this. I stopped by the dealer last night who has 4 Flex and several Explorers, so grabbed a tape measure and found a Flex with the bench seat and measured. First thing I noticed, the Explorer seats have the belt buckle in pockets in the seat, the Flex has them on a tether.

They are not the same, the Explorer measured 8 1/2" between buckles, the Flex measured 10 1/2" between buckles. Visually they are quite different as well, you can tell there is more room in the middle on the Flex after looking at them side by side. I had left my phone in the car and was pressed for time or I would have taken pics too, but it eased my mind, and that is all that matters. I knew they were different, just not by how much.

They have different padding and trim, but the frame is all exactly the same. Measure them down at the bottom where they attach to the floor. It will be exactly the same.

That wasn't what I was referring to, I was referring to the fact that the Explorer and Edge second row has such a small middle section that wouldn't work for us, but the Flex does. It all boils down to why we went with the Flex over the Edge and Explorer, because of the second row seats being too tight in them. Doesn't matter if they all bolt in the same, it matters that the actual usable portion of the seats are different.

2" difference between the buckles isn't usable room? The buckles themselves are 2" further apart in the Flex than in the Explorer, regardless of the tether. That 2" makes all the difference for having someone use the middle seat position. Thats what I am referring to and why the Explorer and Edge wouldn't work for us.

I know that, but the person in the middle wont be sitting ON the buckles! :) Shoot I dont know of anyone who would be able to sit there, no one I know has a 9" butt. At least in the Flex my wife was ale to strap in comfortably and not be sitting with the buckle under her right cheek. That would get painful after a while.

Now that I have had time with the T, I am beginning to think I should have gone with a Flex, though had I done so, I would not have found one in time to replace it, and would have lost the tax refund.

A few things that bug me about the T.

Lack of cubbies. It has this shelf at the front of the console, underneath. Can't really use it, everything there tends to fly off on the gentlest of turns.

No place to stick my iphone other than in the console or a cupholder(see previous).

No cupholders in the front doors(what were they thinking?), so no place to put an extra water bottle or two.

Lack of storage room in front of second row seats due to the flow through console(didn't realize it took up so much room), so neither of my tool boxes fit like they did in the Flex.

Lack of headroom in the third row. This I knew about, just not to the actual extent. My daughter can't sit back there in her booster without hitting her head. She barely fits correctly without the booster, but is almost there.

Not as tall as the Flex, so I hit my head getting in if I have a hat on since I can't see the door frame. I have done this a few times and it really hurts my neck when it happens.

Overall it's a nice car, has lots of nice features, but it's not a Flex. I like it, but I don't love it like I did the Flex. In this one I am afraid to get it dirty, treat it with kid gloves, while the Flex, I just drove it and enjoyed it. I would consider selling it, but I just don't want to go through the hassle of finding the RIGHT Flex.

One other thing I noticed, the Flex felt faster and felt like it handled a trailer much better. The thing is I pulled a much larger and heavier trailer with the Flex one time, so I really have nothing else to compare it to. I guess I just need more seat time in it to better enjoy it. It is a classy looking car, drives well, gets good gas mileage, but it is just not as Cool and unique as the Flex, and it looks like a hearse, not a casket, I think driving a casket is more badass than a hearse.

Edited by acdii