acdii

I Know I found a replacement

It took me a while to make a decision. I could go several ways to replace the Flex, one would be to just buy another new one, easier said than done, I only have a 30 day window once the check is cut in order to recoup the tax and license on the car, so ordering the exact car, is out. Finding exactly what I want in a 2013, not happening, though incentives and financing are great, 3K cash and 0 for 72 months on a 2013 is just unreal, finding a 2013 with what I want, not found. I could go to a 2014, incentives are not as good, but there was a price drop on the car, so incentive wise they are about equal, but financing is at 1.9 for 72, which is still not bad. However, after taking a huge hit on depreciation so fast, I decided I really dont want to go new. I only did it before because of the increased rollover cost of what I traded in.

I could go to the extreme opposite and find a used somethingorother under 12K which I could pay off in under 2 years, but considering ME, I doubt I could find something I could live with for 2 years. I considered a Diesel Excursion, which would be a blast since I love diesels, and it would be like driving my old F350 again, then I remembered just how much work it was to keep that truck road worthy, and the cost of fuel and maintenance, and it would not be worth it, the fuel cost and oil change alone would offset any savings.

So I decided to look for used Flex, and could not find a direct replacement and found a few MKT that have what I want and are in the same price range as the Flex for the same year. Well I found an exact match to what I want, it has the tow package, ACC, BLIS, 40/40 buckets for the second row, and center console, in an Ecoboost model. It's 100 miles from here, and since I really dont want to hassle with another dealer who I dont know their practices, and waste a trip if they are one of "those", I asked my dealer if they can procure it for me. They are working on it now. If all goes as planned, i am hoping it will be here when the insurance check has been delivered and lien has been released. Most likely it will be financed from the same bank so the GAP can be done while I am getting the new loan so no overlap.

I found a 2013 Lincoln MKT in Champagne CC, with Ecoboost, Elite package, 32K miles, Tow package, ACC, and refrigerated center console. the second row seats are heated and cooled. The price difference between this one and a 2012 with 10K miles, no center console and no tow package is $2k, the 2012 I have as a backup is a certified pre-owned so it should come with a 100K Lincoln warranty. I can have a tow package minus sway control added, but cant add the center console nor the MLT and heated steering wheel the 13 has, nor the integrated remote start.

Tough choices to make, one I was hoping not having to need to do again for quite a few years, but hopefully this will be the right one. The upside is, I really wanted an MKT to replace the BD Fusion, but the Flex was a great car to replace it with, and I am hoping I can have the same feeling with the replacement of the Flex. I have to admit though, the MKT is one nice riding car, better than the Flex and quieter. When I road tested a 2010 last year I was easily able to get 24 MPG in it mixed city highway.

One thing I haven't decided on, length of term. I can do a 60 or a 72 month. If I do 72 month, I can take the difference between what I have been paying and the new payment and apply it to my credit cards, then when they are completely paid off, apply the balance to the car payment and pay it off sooner. I still have to run the numbers and see, but I could possibly do this and pay it off in 5 years instead of 6. I was looking for something I could pay off in 4 years, but that just wont happen, there is not much out there in that price range with what I want/need that isnt loaded up with miles. There was one that just made it, but had 97K miles on it.

Edited by acdii

I think I remember you describing a long trip in the FFH with 4 people. Could you get by with the FFH as your main ride and get a small, economical, and low cost car for your second car? Something along the lines of a Focus? This could save you a ton of money on initial cost and a lot on financing costs.

Edited by Texasota

I need the Flex for getting horse food and bedding at least once a month. I tried doing it with 2 cars, and it was just way too much. I also plan to get a trailer for hauling my planes and getting building material. A car wouldnt be able to pull it nor my horse trailer.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Well I should hear tomorrow if the deal works. The dealer who has the car is going to sell it to my dealer, and my dealer will mark it up a few hundred and sell it to me. Insurance check should be cut by Thursday, then the paperwork for Gap can be processed, and by Saturday I should be tooling around in a nice MKT. Best part, the price came down $2K.

Sounds like a nice replacement. You get to maintain the utility of the Flex while picking up a few nice upgrades. Good luck with the transaction and post pictures when you get it!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

'nough said.

The deal fell thru I assume

Yep, they made a deal with my dealer and reneged on it, claiming they had another deal, yet the car is still listed.

However where one deal went south, and even better one came North. Same car options, without the Champagne paint and inflatable belts, but with only 18K miles instead of 31K... Papers are signed, driver is on his way to pick it up and Saturday I will have a new ride. What a relief too!

I found out yesterday that the deal for the first one was in Limbo, and I did a nationwide search and located another one with the same options I was looking for. Of all the ones out there, a total of 5 are across the country. So I emailed the link to my dealer and they called first thing this morning and was told they weren't interested, and he was going to keep trying the first dealer. Later on this afternoon the second dealer called and said they would do it, and we locked in the deal. Talk about a giddy feeling!

Everything is locked in, so once the check is cut for the other car, I am all set to take it home, hoping by tomorrow I have a copy of the check, so all can clear on Saturday. At this point a few days I can deal with, I found and will have the exact car I wanted.

Oh, and its Tuxedo Black too.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=570326068&listingId=600243480

I dont know how long the above link will last, but you can see if for at least another day.

The Window sticker

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=2LMHJ5AT7DBL54527

1222092997.jpg

Heres the one that fell through.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=126101886&tracktype=usedcc

The depreciation hit on this is over, it is at a stable price now. If you look at a year older MKT with similar options and higher miles the pricing is still up in the low 30's upper 20's. Since like the Flex I plan to keep it a long time, not concerned over depreciation. Good example, a 2011 with 59K selling for $33K with no options other than the tow package. There are some 2012 models still listed for over 42K. From what i can tell, they drop value the first year and hit a level that they pretty much stay at. 2010 models are still listing in the 20's. So not concerned over depreciation on this one, not like the Flex, 13K in 10 months. Since this one is far lower per month than the Flex and also a year fewer payments, the difference in payment will be split between CC to pay off ,then once those are paid, the balance will go towards this cars payment and decrease the number of months. I should have it paid off 6-8 months sooner.

Thanks, I think.

IF its anything like the Flex, I should easily get 21 MPG or better due to a lower COD. When one door closes, another one opens. :) At least I wont need to buy another bottle of touchup paint since its the same color as the Flex and HyTi.

As fr the wheels, they a polished Aluminum, the Fusion wheels are painted. They do look similar though.