Hybrider

Warning: Dealers may add extra accesories on factory orders before delivery

I just wanted to warn people about my experience with my dealer yesterday upon delivery of my new FFH SE, that in my mind was less than scrupulous. So now I think I understand why it is a very good idea to work out the OTD (out-the-door) price from the get go, upon the placing the initial order.

I have ordered many cars from the factory before, both Fords and Chevys, but I have never had an experience with a dealership before like the one I just had, upon delivery of my new 2014 FFH SE. What the dealer did was add on options before delivery that were invasive options and would not be very easy to undo, like adding tinted windows (even if it is expected in a super hot SW desert climate) and wiring in a active alarm system in my dash.

I did not want any "Protection" packages, and I definitely did not want the tinted windows because I consider it to be a safety hazard, impacting my outside visibility, and since Ford already installs the factory tint on the windows already.

So apparently I should have worked out the OTD pricing at the very beginning to eliminate the possibility of the dealer adding on options I did not want, and ones which I definitely did not expect to have to pay for.

On the tinted windows, I did manage to talk them down from $1000 to $250, but I shouldn't have even had to pay that since I did not order that. And on the alarm system, I told the finance guy I would rather pay the $300 for the alarm system than have his team put their grubby paws on my precious car again for them to rip it out from under the dash.

Just had to rant, and hopefully help out anyone else that will be placing a factory order in the future.

I don't recall tinted windows and the alarm system (other than what's already integrated as anti-theft) being factory options... did you have a Vehicle Order Confirmation (VOC) from when you placed the retail order and were these identified there?

I would have walked on that. That is a bait and switch tactic, and as far as I know illegal in most states.

I really dont know which is worse, having a car with issues(you already have the car), or searching and trying to find exactly what you want and then having to get the best deal you can on it. Been through the first one, sucked, add on the second on top of that and super suck. Now have to go through the second one all over again. Oy my HEAD!

I had my dealer tint my car for the same reason, they are the only ones I trust with my cars, which is HUGE for me, I trust no one.

UPDATE on my saga with my dealer: Just a quick note first, to clarify my poor choice of words that I used in my first post, such as "options". These were dealer-installed after-market accessories, not factory options, that the dealer had installed without my permission.

Now for the update: The dealer sent me their standard short, dealer-sponsored, pre-Ford_survey survey via email, and I gave them the worst possible rating that was available, with comments as to why. Shortly after I submitted that dealer-sponsored survey, the dealer contacted me to let me know that, because of my input, they immediately changed their policy, so that any future special order vehicles that were delivered to them would _not_ have the standard protection, tint, and alarms installed, the ones they were used to installing on every car they receive, at least until the buyer approves them.

I said, "That is great for the next guy, but what about me?" They said they would be happy to remove the tint and alarm and refund my money. I said, "No way, I don't want anyone ripping anything out of my car, but I still want my money back in order for me to be an almost-satisfied customer."

They conceded some and said they would return almost all of my money that I paid in my one moment of weakness I had while I was in the back room with the finance guy purchasing my brand new car. But in order for the dealer to give me my money back, they said I would have to decline the cheesy warranties that went along with those accessories, such as the warranty that will pay for stain removals on the fabric, vinyl, or paint. I said, "Fine."

So all in all, I ended getting the tint, protection, and active theft alarm for a really, really good price. Given the choice, I wouldn't have opted to purchase those dealer-installed accessories, but I do kind of like having them anyways. My car looks way cooler and sportier with the tint. :)