gotrojans

Check Engine Light Turns on - I can't drive.

When I turn on or start the engine, the check engine light turns on, and I can't drive the car. I turn off the car (reboot if you will), and the engine light clears. This happens to me intermittently.

I have a 2013 Fusion Hybrid that I purchase last July.

I have brought it in, and the dealer doesn't see any record events or codes associated with the check engine light. I've checked the DTC myself and I don't see anything.

Anyone else experiencing this? Suggestions?

Thanks

Ron

Edited by gotrojans

My suggestion is that if this happens again, do not turn the key to the off position.

With the key still on, send a Vehicle Health Report directly from your car to Ford Support.

You will need to have registered your car at http://support.ford.com// and have a cell phone setup for the Ford Sync system to call out.

See the Fusion's Owner's Manual on page 326 for more info on how to send the VHR.

(Note: the OM is somewhat outdated, SYNCMyRide.com is now the Ford support link I posted above.)

By sending a VHR while the key is still on any Codes will be captured at the Ford Support website and available to you and the Dealer for 30 days.

You can log-on to the Ford website and view the VHR, hopefully any Check Engine Light codes are present.

I usually print out the VHR (if there are codes) so I have it to show the Dealer.

Edited by GrySql

I've tried this before, but in the past, I get the message that the car hasn't been running long enough. Therefore, VHR won't run.

While the majority of times are associated with starting in the morning, it does happen once in a while when starting after a trip to the store or similar situation.

I'll remember to try the VHR.

Thanks

Ron

I forgot to welcome you to the FFH Forum, Welcome!

I believe the ICE has to run for 2 minutes before it will send a VHR. You can force it to run by lightly pressing the gas pedal with the car in Park.

(BTW, one of my daughters was a 2-time All American in Womens VB at USC - Go Trojans!)

Edited by GrySql

I forgot to welcome you to the FFH Forum, Welcome!

I believe the ICE has to run for 2 minutes before it will send a VHR. You can force it to run by lightly pressing the gas pedal with the car in Park.

(BTW, one of my daughters was a 2-time All American in Womens VB at USC - Go Trojans!)

The ICE has to run to do a VHR or just the car has to be on for at least 2 minutes?

When I turn on or start the engine, the check engine light turns on, and I can't drive the car. I turn off the car (reboot if you will), and the engine light clears. This happens to me intermittently.

I have a 2013 Fusion Hybrid that I purchase last July.

I have brought it in, and the dealer doesn't see any record events or codes associated with the check engine light. I've checked the DTC myself and I don't see anything.

Anyone else experiencing this? Suggestions?

Thanks

Ron

Does the left display say "Ready to Drive" when this happens? Are you getting the little green car w/ arrows symbol on the dash when this happens? Do any other messages appear on the left side screen? Have you checked Engineering Test Mode for stored codes? It sounds to me like the car isn't actually turning on and going in to "Ready to Drive" mode. The CEL stays on if you failed to turn the key enough to "crank" and start the car. The car is not actually on in this situation.

The ICE has to run to do a VHR or just the car has to be on for at least 2 minutes?

I thought it was at least 1 minute, which I experienced when sitting in the garage and trying to get the phones connected and run the VHR for the first time... it may be 2 minutes but I thought it was 1 minute, either way it can't be done immediately so have patience, grasshopper.

I thought it was at least 1 minute, which I experienced when sitting in the garage and trying to get the phones connected and run the VHR for the first time... it may be 2 minutes but I thought it was 1 minute, either way it can't be done immediately so have patience, grasshopper.

It is one minute in Run mode. The ICE does not have to start. I assume the time is to allow all of the modules to finish startup so they will respond when they are asked for their status.

Our cars it seems need a pair of boots. Especially the MFT. Boot and Reboot.

It happened again today at 4.30PM. I tried forcing the VHR to run but without any luck. I waited over 5 minutes.

Yes. I have checked the DTC codes and nothing is recorded. Similarly, the dealer didn't find any error codes during the last service.

Does the "Ready to Drive" indicates display? I'll have to remember to look for this.

The dealer seems to be casual with this. Do I have any options? Better business bureau? Lemon laws?

Thanks

Ron

Possibly, but I have to rely on the technicians at the Ford dealer to think out of the box.

Ron

Possibly, but I have to rely on the technicians at the Ford dealer to think out of the box.

Ron

yeah, good luck with that, if it isnt approved by Ford, forgetaboutit

If it's a keyed ignition, the most likely culprit is you didn't turn the key far enough into the spring loaded start position. In early 2010 FFH's, the only indicator that the car was "on" was a small green car in the lower right corner of the dash and the absence of the check engine light, These were frequently obscured by the steering wheel but all the rest of the display looks normal. The car is not "on". A software update added a large green car for three seconds on the left of the display with a "ready to drive" banner. The 2013 + should have something similar.

Edited by lolder

If it's a keyed ignition, the most likely culprit is you didn't turn the key far enough into the spring loaded start position. In early 2010 FFH's, the only indicator that the car was "on" was a small green car in the lower right corner of the dash and the absence of the check engine light, These were frequently obscured by the steering wheel but all the rest of the display looks normal. The car is not "on". A software update added a large green car for three seconds on the left of the display with a "ready to drive" banner. The 2013 + should have something similar.

This is exactly what I guessed above.

When I turn on the car, I turn to the end every time. Even if I don't, the ignition switch should be sensitive enough. When the check engine light turns on, I don't change my hand motion when I attempt to turn off and then turn on the ignition switch.

When I turn on the car, I turn to the end every time. Even if I don't, the ignition switch should be sensitive enough. When the check engine light turns on, I don't change my hand motion when I attempt to turn off and then turn on the ignition switch.

Have you checked to see if the "ready to drive" green car symbol is on when this happens?

Well. the car is not "starting" or "on" if the green icon is not on and the CEL is. Maybe it's something simple like as ignition switch or relay.