ptek

Hybrid battery reconditioning service

Can you manually trigger a reconditioning event? Ever since our 2010 FFH sat 6 months waiting for a Takata air bag, it has not behaved normally. It stays fully charged and only discharges down to 1/2 charge when driving at highway speeds for 30 miles or so. Back to street speeds it fully charges up again. EV light will only light when fully warmed up, sitting at a redlight with foot on brake. Engine starts immediately when brake is released.

Every cell in the HVB is apparently monitored for conformity with all the rest. If I read the pdf correctly it appears the trigger point for reconditioning is a cell voltage difference of 0.075 V. in the LiIon HVB's.

@Iolder, I know it's been a long time, but do you have a link to the PDF you mention?

Sadly no. My car about two years ago had three overnight events where the HVB showed very low in the morning. It operated normally but the upper limit of EV power available inched down and the max EV speed reduced to about 35 mph. I attributed that to shorted cells that reduced battery voltage slightly. That has a direct effect on maximum EV speed. It would go just as far on EV as previously but obvioiusly had less power. This is different from what you people are reporting but it may be differing degrees. My car continued to charge 1/2 way as usual. It didn't do a reconditioning after these events which had occurred about every 8K miles. The car has been passed on to my grandson last year and apparently is still operating as when I had it.