aldenite

pull over safely

I have a 2012. The 'secret' is to maximize the amount of time in EV mode. I am very aware of how much I can get out of the car in electric mode. That is why I am sure that it was not acting right when I got it back the last time.

Actually, the secret is to MINIMIZE the time spent in EV. Do not encourage EV during most acceleration or driving over 40 mph. EV is less efficient than the ICE then. Only coax EV when the HVB SOC is over 1/2 or you're nearing home.

Considering you say you get 50 MPG in the 12, you are doing it right. :) What Lolder is saying is most likely what you are actually doing too. Its what I did in the 10 myself. I used a lot of EV In Crystal Lake, where I could regain most energy used by regen braking and very little ICE to recharge. For the most part, accelerating in EV only is wasteful, use the ICE for that, then coast in EV, and it sounds like that is what you are doing.

This may apply to the 2012 and earlier FFHs, but I have to disagree with the Professor when it comes to the 2013-14. I get my maximum mileage at highway speeds only when I have a higher percentage of EV time. Before the PCM update, the ICE would never shut off at my normal highway speed. I think this is a major factor for my increased MPGs, especially when going downhill.

It does, since it is how I drove the ppp TCH and 2010, it was a new learning curve in the new Fusion, but not a very long one, a few trips to get the hang of it is all it takes to transition to the way it works. The more EV you get out of the 13+ FFH the better your overall MPG is. Battery management is key to the 13+. In the prior years your pack is rarely over 50%(according to dash), and the EV is used mostly for cruising and low speed coasting. Above 45 MPH though there was no EV, all ICE. As previously pointed out, you never use EV to accelerate the 2010-12, but the 13+ EV acceleration is possible depending on EV+ and SOC. The OP knows how to drive one if she can get 50 MPG in one. :)

The efficiency balancing point between EV and ICE is clearly different from 2010-12 to 2013 +. The LiIon HVB is more powerful, less lossy and can handle more acceleration. If the 2.0 L ICE can be run with more load in the low brake specific fuel consumption ( BSFC ) zone, the equation of when EV use is desireable changes. All things considered, if you look at the fuel report sites, the Gen 2 FFH's seem to get about 4 mpg better than Gen 1's. That's pretty much attributable to the lower weight and air drag Cd. That's the main factor in the Prius-FFH mpg difference also. The Ford's have more power to weight than the Prii so you can lead-foot it more and make the difference greater. They're all good designs with slightly different aims.

Here's a fuel map of the 2 nd and 3 rd Gen Prii on the same chart which is a little confusuing.

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/File:Toyota_2zrfxe_1.8l_prius_bsfc1.jpg

All the Atkinson cycle ICE's try to run in those low BSFC contours around 220-230 g/Kwh. Look how the bigger Gen 3 Prius, the 2ZX-FXE, has a huge 230 g/Kwh zone and a 220 g/Kwh zone that's bigger than the 1NZ-FXE Gen 2 230 g/kwh one. Now that's a 4-5% improvement in mileage which is huge. Ford fuel maps should have the similar shapes but I haven't seen one.

Edited by lolder

Yesterday I receive the "Pull Over Safely" message immediately after starting my vehicle. It happened twice.

The first time, I shut the vehicle off and restarted it and everything was fine

The second time I had to restart the car 4 times in order to get the message to go away.

I have not restarted the car since then. If it happens again I will send a VHR to see if that tells me anything.

Anyway, it seems that every other person to receive this message got it while driving. Has anyone got it immediately after starting the car like I have? Could it be battery related? I'm driving a 2013 on the original 12v battery. Have others with 2013's replaced their batteries yet?

Could it be battery related? I'm driving a 2013 on the original 12v battery. Have others with 2013's replaced their batteries yet?

Yes, many 2013 owners have had there batteries replaced under warranty. I think there are multiple threads where this is discussed.

My plan is to replace my battery every two years like clockwork, at my own expense. I do not want to take a chance on experiencing any of the multitude of bad issues which can happen in an FFH when the battery is not at full capacity.

The heat here in the desert won't allow normal 12V batteries to last more than about 2-3 years anyways.

Yes, many 2013 owners have had there batteries replaced under warranty. I think there are multiple threads where this is discussed.

Yes sorry. I meant to ask those 2013 who weren't having the BS Message issues. I haven't had any of those issues, just this pull over safely one. I know the batteries are weak from all of those threads, so I was curious if others who haven't had specific battery problems have had to replace their batteries within 3 years. In my previous cars, I've been able to get 4-5 years out of a battery.

I was just in for the 50k mile oil change last month and they said the battery tested good, but based on some other peoples experiences, I'm not sure I should trust that.

I did not receive the message for any the half dozen or so trips I took yesterday, so I guess I'll just keep monitoring it for a while before doing anything.

It's most likely the 12 vdc battery. Take it to the dealer. If you can change the battery yourself, that might be a quicker, simpler first step. Checking the battery does not insure that you wont have this problem. It's a "flukey" system.

It was just part of their checklist for "The Works" oil change package. You're right it probably wasn't a very thorough test.

I have not had any issues since that one day, so I'm content to ignore the issue for the time being.