aldenite

pull over safely

On November 13, 2013 I was on my way to work. I was in EV mode when suddenly there was a loud 'ding, ding, ding' and a red 'pull over safely' message on the dashboard. Talk about an adrenaline moment while I frantically looked for a safe place to pull over. My husband came and I was able to restart it and have him follow me to the dealer. They got an EEC test code P0456 and replaced canister. All seemed well except for poor gas mileage for several months.

January 20,2014 I am again on my way to work in the dark when the 'ding, ding, ding' started. Another adrenaline rush. Another trip to the dealer. This time they kept it for a week and weren't able to find anything. Ford told them to reprogram the PCM snd give it back to me. I drove it home and had trouble getting it to drop into electric mode, even at a stop sign. When it DID drop into electric mode, it had no power and immediately the gas engine started again even if I had my foot off the gas. I drove it several more times with similar problems.

Finally I called Ford customer service and was given a case number. A regional customer service rep has called me several times. He keeps telling me that they can't recreate the problem and that I can't PROVE that it will quit again. He wants me to take it back again. I drive to work early in the morning on rural roads with NO SHOULDER and blowing/drifting snow. Pull over safely doesn't work well when there is no safe spot to stop. It is not safe to drive a car that dies randomly.

I want to know if it is an official Ford policy to repeatedly give unsafe cars back to customers because they are unable to diagnose the problem. Where I work we don't expect customers to diagnose their own problems. If technical support can't diagnose the problem it is escalated to development. We don't just abandon the customer. Does Ford think it is okay to deal with a SAFETY failure by dumping the unfixed car back on the customer???

Looks like you live near me. Is your dealer Harvard or one of the others?

... Finally I called Ford customer service and was given a case number. A regional customer service rep has called me several times. He keeps telling me that they can't recreate the problem and that I can't PROVE that it will quit again. He wants me to take it back again. I drive to work early in the morning on rural roads with NO SHOULDER and blowing/drifting snow. Pull over safely doesn't work well when there is no safe spot to stop. It is not safe to drive a car that dies randomly. ...

Hi aldenite,

Let me take a look at your case and see what I can do to help. PM me your case number and/or VIN and I'll look into it.

Ashley

Did they do a baseline comparison against another known good working car? If not then they really didn't look at it to see if there is a problem. The trouble they have now is if a code isn't thrown, they cant touch the car. If the car still does not go into EV after driving for 10 miles, there is something wrong, even if no codes are being set. I can't speak for that dealer(I know who you are referring to), but at least my dealer will listen to a problem and that is where they will focus on it. I may be able to help with my dealer if you want, PM me if interested and I will see what I can do, they aren't very far from you. If you bring it in with it fully warmed up, and its not going into EV for very long with a full battery, then take him on a short trip to show exactly what your complaint is.

Kim is the Ford rep on the forum... Oh Kim... This looks like a hot one. Perhaps you would be kind enough to assist this member.

Welcome! I hope you get it solved.

Thanks for the mention, Sleddog. It looks like Ashley already has it covered. :)

Kim

The sad thing is that I absolutely LOVED the car. I was averaging 50mpg and raved about it to everyone.

If you were able to average 50mpg in a 2012 FFH (my average in the 2010 FFH was 39.8mpg) then you definitely have the knack of knowing how to get the most out of it. If you got a 2014 or 2015 model you may average 55mpg.

After this morning I can clearly understand your fear. There would be nothing worse than having the car die on one of these country roads and getting stuck on the road, especially in total white out and getting hit. First hand experience this morning, thankfully my wife and I are OK, but some of the other drivers are not. Still cant get the smell of airbags out of my nose.

That doesn't sound good at all

Thankfully it wasnt the Fusion, or it may have been serious for us too.

What is your battery level on that car? I wonder if they did a load test on the pack. The 12 is no different than the 10 I had, and even in really cold temps it worked in EV if I turned off the heat.