Ryan Goodlett

Hybrid Wheels - going to aftermarket

I really like the ACE Convex wheel that Steeda sells. Plan on getting the 20x8.5 with 245/35/20 tires. Not to concerned about LRR availability. I have a few questions that maybe you guys have the answers to.

1. Is there any track (L - R) measurement difference that would affect the offset compared to the regular FF? The standard offset I see is 38mm for the FF.

2. How do you guys go about measuring for offset correctly? Any tips?

2. Can you lower a fusion with this wheel set up? I see on another forum that they recommend the HR springs for the FFH, but haven't seen anyone actually post that the combination of 245/35/20 and HR springs (or any other springs for that matter) works for them or that they tried it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

Ryan a great source to help you figure this out would be the Tire Rack website . They have that information on their website and it takes away all the guessing. Have fun. :)

Today we have over a foot of new snow on the ground and so lowering our cars is not something one considers if winter driven. I had my Passat wagon lowered using Eibachs and it looked great, but the speed bumps they have out there are crazy. My valance was rubber but I still did get a tear in it.

The wheels would be enough methinks. The car is already pretty low, but your call. Slamming still lives so....

Edited by inco

Inco....I think it may be low enough as well. Just wanted to ask what people experiences are. I don't have any snow or "winter weather" down here in Houston. In the rare case that we did, all hell breaks loose and they close everything down.

Hybridbear.... Not sure what I am going to do with the wheels. I plan on actually buying my car in the next week or so. Since I work at a dealership, the wheels may go in the take off pile or I may choose to keep them or I may sell them. Haven't made up my mind yet and the boss lady hasn't given me an ultimatum either. :)

You would not want to drive a lowered car on some of the roads I take today, you would have your bumpers ripped off! One road is so bad that I am surprised cars haven't been launched into the snow piles on the side. I cant wait to see what will happen during spring thaw, especially if it thaws and then a hard freeze again, kiss that road goodbye, its already falling apart, I think it would disintegrate. I'm afraid my thin tires on the 18's would take a hit, can't imagine the thin sidewalls on the 20's holding up to this.

Acdii,

I've got a feeling that I wont be lowering it and I appreciate your input. We have our share of potholes here in Houston, just not so much weather related.

Acdii,

I've got a feeling that I wont be lowering it and I appreciate your input. We have our share of potholes here in Houston, just not so much weather related.

Well, we dont have potholes, yet, we have bumps, and I don't mean a raised crack, I mean bumps, some are 4" or more. Makes for a very...interesting, ride. Come spring though, or a thaw and refreeze, those "bumps" will become potholes for sure. I'm surprised the plows haven't ripped the roads to shreds yet.

Well, we dont have potholes, yet, we have bumps, and I don't mean a raised crack, I mean bumps, some are 4" or more. Makes for a very...interesting, ride. Come spring though, or a thaw and refreeze, those "bumps" will become potholes for sure. I'm surprised the plows haven't ripped the roads to shreds yet.

There is one bump in Palatine on 14 that has risen to at least 2 ft at the bump crest. It's spans across two lanes and is about two car lengths long.

Speaking of potholes and bumps, when I was in Minneapolis recently, there were two good things about the extreme cold weather relating to this issue (road surface)

Half of the year in MN is spent repairing roads, especially freeways/highways. Seriously. If it is possible to repair roads it is being done.

Mpls city streets are incredibly patched and bumpy. During the time I was there, with temps rarely above zero day after day, the potholes and cracks were generally frozen over with ice and snow, plus, the car tires were anything but flexible, so the road surface was not as noticeable. However, starting out from a cold start the tires felt less than round for a while. I know I'm preaching to the choir here for many, but for anyone in a very cold state there is another issue too. Slush, snow and ice tend to pack in around the wheel wells, frequently, and having a car lowered would not be helpful I bet.

Just some mostly tongue in check thoughts. Hey, it's cold here too. It's after 10:00 and we haven't broken 50 yet!

Hey, it's cold here too. It's after 10:00 and we haven't broken 50 yet!

I feel really sorry for you ;) I can proudly say that we have past the zero degree marker and are on a steady climb to some really cozy 10*.

There is one bump in Palatine on 14 that has risen to at least 2 ft at the bump crest. It's spans across two lanes and is about two car lengths long.

Where I live the issue is often at corners, where drivers continue to drive off the paved surface, and create large holes, which are seemingly never filled.

I feel really sorry for you ;) I can proudly say that we have past the zero degree marker and are on a steady climb to some really cozy 10*.

I'm sorry, I can't help myself sometimes. Just ask my long-suffering wife!

DSC07155

I ended up going with the Ace Alloy 20 x 8.5 in hyper silver. Had them on for a few weeks and I am very happy. The only thing that I had issues with were lug nuts. These wheels required new lug nuts all the way around because the hole is too small. Got the Gorilla spline locks.

I have it on the list. Right now I am researching different tints and brands specifically for the Houston weather.

I didn't much thought into the tint, dropped it off at my dealer and said, Tint it. They did, looks good, and I am happy with it. :)

I didn't much thought into the tint, dropped it off at my dealer and said, Tint it. They did, looks good, and I am happy with it. :)

So did I (@ the same dealer) and they used top of the line tint.

I'm also happy with it the only thing is the small line without tint around the top of the window.