Charrua

1 year fuel mileage history

Please post your 1 year fuel history if you have one. It might be interesting if any conclusions can be drawn.

One thing I'm concluding from my history is that what I thought was better gas mileage due to getting past my break in miles and finally learning how to drive a hybrid to maximize fuel efficiency, was nothing more than seasonal temperature changes.

I'm not complaining though. 40 MPG average for the year is not 47, but it's darn better than the 24 MPG I was getting in my Jetta for the previous 10 years.

Fuelly+1+year+history.JPG

Here is the month-by-month for the 2013 Hybrid. Note how great things were after break-in (I drive about 3,000 per month so by March that was done) but before the weather turned (somewhat, as compared to really cold places) cold ... Summer heat will also put a damper on things, but my morning commute starts before 6am so normally only needed AC on the afternoon drives.

FFH_MPG_By_Month_2013_zpsf3a4e64d.jpg

Here is my month to month, I've got 20,000 miles this year.

I've also totally blocked up the grille for winter driving, but I haven't noticed any change in mileage.

If I drive under 45 mph in 15 to 25 degree weather it takes about 25 miles to come up to temperature.

If I hit the highway right away it comes up to temperature in about 3 miles.

fuly.jpg

Edited by Kaleido

I stopped recording once I was satisfied that it was getting the expected MPG. So I dont have a chart for more than a few months.

Here is my month to month, I've got 20,000 miles this year.

I've also totally blocked up the grille for winter driving, but I haven't noticed any change in mileage.

If I drive under 45 mph in 15 to 25 degree weather it takes about 25 miles to come up to temperature.

If I hit the highway right away it comes up to temperature in about 3 miles.

fuly.jpg

I find it interesting that your chart is very similar to mine. What it tells me is that the software update and the break-in miles had very little effect on cold weather MPG's.

Screenshot2014-02-03123844_zpsfdb0bfcf.p

Here are the stats from the old black FFH. I excluded our two road trips because they aren't representative of our normal driving. You can find the info on the retired black FFH, including the data from the road trips, by viewing my Fuelly profile. Our MPGs went up and down with the temps. The hottest months (July & September in the strange summer we had) were lower than the previous and subsequent months. We often only had one fill up per month for the data.

Edited by hybridbear

Here is my chart. To me, I can see the clear delineation between the 1st 1350 miles of break-in/winter blend/learning FFH (Jan-Feb), regular city commute (Mar-Jul), vacation mileage (Aug), and then alternate highway commute (Sep-Dec). Should be interesting to see how the early months of 2014 compare to last year, since I am back to my regular commute. Comparing Jan14 to Jan13, there is a 4-5 MPG increase this year, despite some actual sub-freezing temperature days here in Houston. This also reiterates to me 2 key factors to diminishing MPG - Speed and cold/hot outside temps

post-11178-0-89449600-1391571980_thumb.jpg

(1st time to attach a pic...sorry it's small...a left click on the pic will bring it to full size...I'll do better next time)

Edited by keybman

Just for comparison's sake...

For the period that the chart covers, if I eliminate the "break-in" and the "vacation" miles, the MPG is as follows:

48.6 MPG - all commutes combined

49.3 - regular city commute

47.6 - highway commute