madmax87

2013 Fusion Hybrid Transmission Leaking

Love the car. Took it in for my 2nd free oil change (8200 miles on car) and they called and said during their inspection, they found the transmission to be leaking. They said the case is basically 2 pieces and the seal between the 2 is leaking. 2-3 days estimated to fix. I really hate the idea that they have to pull the transmission to repair. On a positive side, at least I can say they actually did do the inspection.

Searching the forums, I really don't see any leaking transmission issues discussed. Is this the 1st you guys have heard of?

First I recall. How involved is the repair? There is no real transmission...the ICE and two electric motors are connected through a planetary gear set (the "transmission"). I would want to ask them how much they have to take apart to replace this seal. It sounds like it could be a very complicated repair. I hope this dealer has experience with hybrids and can do it right.

The manuals are pretty good, so any experienced mechanic who knows how to read the manual, and has the proper tools should have no problem taking it apart and resealing it. Rebuilding it though would be a different case, I would much rather they replace it with one from the assembly line, than rebuild it with new and worn parts.

Love the car. Took it in for my 2nd free oil change (8200 miles on car) and they called and said during their inspection, they found the transmission to be leaking. They said the case is basically 2 pieces and the seal between the 2 is leaking. 2-3 days estimated to fix. I really hate the idea that they have to pull the transmission to repair. On a positive side, at least I can say they actually did do the inspection. ...

madmax87,

Let me lend a hand. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, and dealer info. I'll look into this for you.

Ashley

The manuals are pretty good, so any experienced mechanic who knows how to read the manual, and has the proper tools should have no problem taking it apart and resealing it. Rebuilding it though would be a different case, I would much rather they replace it with one from the assembly line, than rebuild it with new and worn parts.

Why would they rebuild it with worn parts? ;)

Why would they rebuild it with worn parts? ;)

I used to rebuild transmissions. Not all hard parts are replaced, so there are still some worn parts in it. Clutch plates, gearsets, one way rollers, if they are within specs, they are put back in. While the eCVT may not have that many parts in it, for a car still under factory warranty that has to have its transmission rebuilt, I would prefer all the parts be replaced, not just the damaged or unusually worn ones.

I used to rebuild transmissions. Not all hard parts are replaced, so there are still some worn parts in it. Clutch plates, gearsets, one way rollers, if they are within specs, they are put back in. While the eCVT may not have that many parts in it, for a car still under factory warranty that has to have its transmission rebuilt, I would prefer all the parts be replaced, not just the damaged or unusually worn ones.

You completely missed the sarcasm! :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with the tranny except for a small leak. It doesn't even drip on the ground so I'm hoping the seal is not a big deal to replace.

You completely missed the sarcasm! :)

DOH, guess I didn't drink enough yet.

Coffee that is, too early in the morning for the good stuff.

DOH, guess I didn't drink enough yet.

Coffee that is, too early in the morning for the good stuff.

Tsk, tsk, you of all people Mr. S. For shame, for shame. :victory:

Well got the car back and so far no issues. Of course I didn't know I had an issue to begin with.

Do you have a report on what work was actually done? Methinks that would be an interesting read. :)

I just had the same thing happen on my 2013 ford fusion hybrid se. I took it in to the dealer for an oil change at 9000 and they called back to tell me that my transmission is leaking and they wont be able to look at it for another week. I am taking the car back on thursday and will see what happens. The part that concerns me is that the dealer is unsure of how to fix it. I dont want this to be an ongoing problem where i need to come back several times. I am really happy with the car but not sure what to make of a transmission leak at 9K. This sucks!!!!!!

This is two cars in three months with the same issue which is a small fraction of the fleet. There should be NONE. Cars seldom leak anymore and sealing design is well uhderstood. Removing the tramsmission to repair a case seal is a big job and I'll bet no dealer has done it on a hybrid. If I was Ford, I'd put a new transmission in and look at the old one to find the defect so they could stop the costly warranty problem.

I just had the same thing happen on my 2013 ford fusion hybrid se. I took it in to the dealer for an oil change at 9000 and they called back to tell me that my transmission is leaking and they wont be able to look at it for another week. I am taking the car back on thursday and will see what happens. The part that concerns me is that the dealer is unsure of how to fix it. I dont want this to be an ongoing problem where i need to come back several times. I am really happy with the car but not sure what to make of a transmission leak at 9K. This sucks!!!!!!

I would suggest contacting Ashley from Ford Service. You can find her username earlier in this thread. She will be able to help resolve things more quickly.

stijojo,

PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can best assist.

Ashley

Thank you Ashley for helping me figure this out i have sent you the requested info. And rest of you i will keep posted on what i find out. I will be taking it in on Thursday 3rd at 8AM.

This is what it said on my invoice from the dealership:

Customer States veh is leaking transmission fluid confirmed concern. Found that trany fluid was leaking from one of the lower trany case half bolts. Removed bolt and cleaned up bolt and hole. Put silicone in hole and reinstalled bolt. Test drove and rechecked for leak. All ok.

I am not so sure about this fix when i talked to the service rep he told me " we patched it" and will keep an eye on the leak next time i come in if it still going on then they will take it all apart and reseal whole transmission. This dosnt build confidence with me at all but they said it was a Ford approved fix. If you are a ford mechanic i would love to hear your thoughts on the fix. I will keep an eye on it and document their comunications because i didnot realize silicon patch is a approved fix.

Thats what happened so far i will keep you guys posted and would love to get some imput on the whole situation.

I just took my 2014 Hybrid in to get an oil change today, and they saw the same problem (transmission fluid trailing down the seam on the bottom). First change at 10,500 miles.

Going to call my dealer on Monday, but going to send over a PM to you if you don't mind Ashley!

I just took my 2014 Hybrid in to get an oil change today, and they saw the same problem (transmission fluid trailing down the seam on the bottom). First change at 10,500 miles.

Going to call my dealer on Monday, but going to send over a PM to you if you don't mind Ashley!

mook663,

I'll keep an eye out for your PM!

Ashley

If the silicone seal works, it's certainly preferable to taking the transmission out and taking it apart even under warranty. Just keep an eye on it and check for any spots under the car. It's not an automatic transmission fluid, it's just a gearbox oil and losing a few ounces probably wouldn't damage anything.

Copy of previous post by MSC928

----------------------------------------

Good Morning,

The spec of the oil is:

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-10-QLVC

Capacity 5,4Liter (5.71 qt.), but why do you want to check the oil level? Normally, the transmission does not consume any oil, except it is leaking. Ford recommend to change the transmission fluid every 240.000 Km (150.000 Miles) only (see owner manual page 435). Transmission oil level check is only recommended, if the transmission is not working properly (see owner manual page 257).

But be aware: Transmission fluid should be checked by an authorized dealer. If required, fluid

should be added by an authorized dealer.

-----------------------------------------------------

I believe it is pretty much regular automatic transmission fluid even though there are no clutches in the "transmission". That stuff will leak if anything will leak. Shouldn't happen of course.

Follow up on my transmission leak. My dealer found a few bolts that needed a half to 3/4 turn to tighten up, cleaned it up, and test drove it for a bit. Seems to be fixed.

Just have to keep an eye on it!

41,000 miles on my April 2013 Hybrid. Took in today for oil change. Dealer said leaking transmission oil on case. Nothing hitting the driveway yet. Dealer wants it for 3 days or so. Will put me in a rental. I have Platinum extended warranty with $100 deductible. I may get my $1850 bucks worth from the extended warranty. I too am wary of having a transmission pulled.... don't want new problems to pop up. I guess I'm thinking back to when I pulled motors and transmissions and had extra hardware after re-installing. Anyone know of a TSB on the leak? I'll take in next Tuesday for the work to be done. Other than this leak and my front power windows not auto up all the time, great car.