Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Fusion Hybrid Transmission Leaking

Transmission Hybrid

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 410 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

I'll do it right now. Thanks!

I got your PM and sent you a response, Kcouture25; thanks for reaching out! :)

Crystal

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

Changed my oil yesterday and was curious what I'd see when I dropped the large cover underneath the engine compartment. I had previously noticed some evidence of fluid leakage around the transmission case halves during the previous oil change. Not that I thought it would get better, but I don't think it was significantly worse. Snapped a few pics. I was thinking of re-torquing the bolts, but was unable to easily find the specs, so I simply took a 13mm hand wrench to each of the three bolts you can see here. I wasn't concerned about over-torquing, since I couldn't get much leverage, but I was surprised that I was able to snug them just a hair tighter.

I have almost 30K on the car now. I'm assuming this would fall under the 5 year/60K drivetrain warranty, so I plan to keep an eye on it. If it seems to be mitigated by snugging the bolts, I may not worry about taking it to a dealer, since it's even chances they'll muck this up (or something else) one way or another.

Attached Files

244968.png

#63 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 994 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

Changed my oil yesterday and was curious what I'd see when I dropped the large cover underneath the engine compartment.

In your second picture it almost looks like the leaking is occuring around the head of the bold where it mates to the aluminum transmission case. There appears to be oil clinging at that location which is at a higher elevation that the seal between the two halves of the transmission case. Does not seem like oil would have migrated from the seal (between the halves) to the bolt head.

Edited by Texasota, 23 November 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

I was thinking of re-torquing the bolts, but was unable to easily find the specs, so I simply took a 13mm hand wrench to each of the three bolts you can see here. I wasn't concerned about over-torquing, since I couldn't get much leverage, but I was surprised that I was able to snug them just a hair tighter.

The 7 bolts that attach the HF-35 CVT to the engine are: Torque: 35 lb.ft (48 Nm)

==

CVTbolts_zpsc93ed87e.png

=====

The 21 Case Cover bolts are: Torque: 18 lb.ft (25 Nm)

-

Install the transmission case end cover assembly and the bolts.
Torque: 18 lb.ft (25 Nm)

HF35casecover_zps9c87b655.png

Edited by GrySql, 23 November 2014 - 03:35 PM.

• smr2112 and hybridbear like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#65 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:39 PM

Changed my oil yesterday and was curious what I'd see when I dropped the large cover underneath the engine compartment. I had previously noticed some evidence of fluid leakage around the transmission case halves during the previous oil change. Not that I thought it would get better, but I don't think it was significantly worse. Snapped a few pics. I was thinking of re-torquing the bolts, but was unable to easily find the specs, so I simply took a 13mm hand wrench to each of the three bolts you can see here. I wasn't concerned about over-torquing, since I couldn't get much leverage, but I was surprised that I was able to snug them just a hair tighter.

I have almost 30K on the car now. I'm assuming this would fall under the 5 year/60K drivetrain warranty, so I plan to keep an eye on it. If it seems to be mitigated by snugging the bolts, I may not worry about taking it to a dealer, since it's even chances they'll muck this up (or something else) one way or another.

Your pictures look similar to the leaking we had on the white FFH. The dealer claimed that this was "seepage" and not a leak and thus would not be covered under the TSB.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#66 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

Your pictures look similar to the leaking we had on the white FFH. The dealer claimed that this was "seepage" and not a leak and thus would not be covered under the TSB.

The amount of fluid that has accumulated on the engine cover looks more than seepage, Dealers say some interesting things. 

That engine cover will absorb the fluid and eventually be destroyed and need replacement if the leaks are not fixed.

Hopefully, now that the bolts are tighter there may be less 'seepage'.

The Time Machine....

#67 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 249 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

Your pictures look similar to the leaking we had on the white FFH. The dealer claimed that this was "seepage" and not a leak and thus would not be covered under the TSB

That picture does not look like a seep, it looks like a leak. If there's oil drops hanging off the case, that's a leak. If the car did not have the lower engine cover, then the oil would have dripped on the ground, which would be a leak. 

Since the transmission does not have a dipstick, you have to check the oil level through a plug on the drivers side of the transmission case. Thats not something that everyone will do including a full serve gas station or even a dealer. So if your transmission is leaking, you probably don't know how much fluid is in it. I would get it repaired a.s.a.p.

Edited by billford, 23 November 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#68 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

That picture does not look like a seep, it looks like a leak. If the car did not have the lower engine cover, then the oil would have dripped on the ground, which would be a leak. 

Since the transmission does not have a dipstick, you have to check the oil level through a plug on the drivers side of the transmission case. Thats not something that everyone will do including a full serve gas station. So if your transmission is leaking, you probably don't know how much fluid is in it. I would get it repaired a.s.a.p.

+1

The transmission fluid should be even with the bottom of the oil leveling plug hole.

The Mityvac MITMV6412 ATF Refill System is used to add fluid to the HF-35, so it's a Dealer fix only. 

Edited by GrySql, 23 November 2014 - 06:26 PM.

The Time Machine....

#69 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

The amount of fluid that has accumulated on the engine cover looks more than seepage, Dealers say some interesting things. 

That engine cover will absorb the fluid and eventually be destroyed and need replacement if the leaks are not fixed.

Hopefully, now that the bolts are tighter there may be less 'seepage'.

That picture does not look like a seep, it looks like a leak. If there's oil drops hanging off the case, that's a leak. If the car did not have the lower engine cover, then the oil would have dripped on the ground, which would be a leak. 

Since the transmission does not have a dipstick, you have to check the oil level through a plug on the drivers side of the transmission case. That's not something that everyone will do including a full serve gas station or even a dealer. So if your transmission is leaking, you probably don't know how much fluid is in it. I would get it repaired a.s.a.p.

I agree. I will never return to that dealer for sales or service. I asked if they checked the fluid level. They said that there was no need since the leak was so slow that it would take a long time before low fluid became an issue. Some dealers are truly incompetent...

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#70 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:16 PM

I'll get it checked out sometime soon, probably in conjunction with a couple recalls. I honestly believe the amount of fluid lost is negligible. We'll see. Maybe I can get a service appointment aligned with my holiday leave in December. Hard to go without a car...

244968.png

#71 OFFLINE   Barneybusa

Barneybusa

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

Ditto. Went to change engine oil when prompted by alert. Pulled the FRP skid plate and voila! Oil seeping from transaxle case. At 8300 miles, this Ford leaks more tranny fluid than my 2002 Taurus.

#72 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 410 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

Ditto. Went to change engine oil when prompted by alert. Pulled the FRP skid plate and voila! Oil seeping from transaxle case. At 8300 miles, this Ford leaks more tranny fluid than my 2002 Taurus.

Have you spoken to your dealer about this? I'll be happy to check into some options, if you'd like. :)

Meagan

#73 OFFLINE   SpenceJT

SpenceJT

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi LE

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

Took mine 2013 (purchased used, in late June with just over 8K miles) for (my) first oil change at 10,500 miles, and my mechanic reported that I have a "leaking transaxle in the hybrid drive case".

If this is actually a component of the Hybrid drive-train, it should be covered under the 100K mile warranty yes?  Does anyone know how long a repair (at my authorized dealer) take?  Is this something where I'll need to arrange time off?  drop off for half of a day? or something that I can have done while I wait?

Regards,

Spence

#74 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

Took mine 2013 (purchased used, in late June with just over 8K miles) for (my) first oil change at 10,500 miles, and my mechanic reported that I have a "leaking transaxle in the hybrid drive case".

If this is actually a component of the Hybrid drive-train, it should be covered under the 100K mile warranty yes?  Does anyone know how long a repair (at my authorized dealer) take?  Is this something where I'll need to arrange time off?  drop off for half of a day? or something that I can have done while I wait?

Regards,

Spence

You can read the experiences of others in this thread. It appears that the repair is not something that can be completed while you wait. You can try contacting a variety of dealers to ask for a loaner vehicle while your car is serviced. It should be covered under the 8/100 warranty.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#75 OFFLINE   smr2112

smr2112

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 511 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

Just found out I have this issue TSB 14-0085 on my 13 Fusion Hybrid @ 16000 miles.  Found during a normal oil change.

Dealer needs car for 3 days or so like the others.  Would not normally see this very slow leak because of the covering

under the car not letting it out.

Curious if anybody who has had this was OK afterwards?  Seems to be straightforward to fix.  Sill server woman/person

service person can't tell me a thing about it at all, not at all technical.  I totally trust the mechanic, but trust people in

these forums more !

Anybody who had this give an update?

2013 FFH Hybrid Titanium 900A / Sterling Grey / Driver Assist / Park Assist / Adapt. Cruise / Moonroof / Navigation -- Took delivery 04/16/13

194152.png

#76 OFFLINE   lsherlockl

lsherlockl

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 73 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

Don't want to bring up an older topic, but I experienced the same issue on my 2014 FFH over the summer. Same sort of thing could see a stain on the bottom cover, and  could see a drip or two of reddish fluid on the bottom of the transmission. took it in they were like yup, we will get the parts and fix it up ~3 days but mine was longer as the mechanic working on mine had a death in the family. Turns out just anybody cant walk into the middle of a torn apart tyranny and put it back together :P  Also to note was under the bumper to bumper warranty at this point. has been 6 months and changed my oil again, checked out the transmission no leaks or drips that I could find so far so good!

• hybridbear likes this

#77 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

Don't want to bring up an older topic

Resurrecting an older topic is better than starting a new one about the same subject!

• jbomb likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#78 OFFLINE   lkatze2

lkatze2

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 37 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

Well, I just found out I have the notorius ecvt/transaxle leak. I bought the car used from a Ford dealer. This was my first oil change since owning the car. After dropping the wind/water shield, I immediatly noticed oil seepage from the transaxle halves, but I was not exactly sure where the seepage was coming from. I completely cleaned the entire area so that I can monitor where exactly it is coming from. Being a certified ASE tech, it appears to be coming from the trans. halves. Btw, it was built 9/2013, with only 20,000 miles. I guess, after my next oil change I will be taking a visit to the dealer after confirming the exact location of the leak. I hope I dont get the runaround. Being a mechanic for over 30 years, any type of oil leakage on a low mile vehicle, whether it be seepage or drips is unacceptable.

#79 OFFLINE   ceilidhdog

ceilidhdog

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 103 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid, 2010 Escape Hybrid

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:34 PM

I have been telling myself how lucky I am that this hasn't happened to our 2013 FFH SE.  That was until this morning, when I took it to my dealer for an oil change, tire rotation, and any maintenance needed at 25,000 miles.  The technician told me there's a transmission leak, and they had to add 1.5 quarts of transmission fluid.  They can't get the car in for repair until Monday, and the work will take "at least two days."  So a road trip to Iowa that we had planned for Tuesday is indefinitely postponed.

Coincidentally, I had run a Vehicle Health Report on Sept. 19.  Everything, including the Engine, Transmission & Emissions, was fine.  Why wouldn't a transmission leak, and the accompanying low fluid level, have shown up in the VHR?  Does the VHR really tell us anything? 

278093.png

680465.png

#80 OFFLINE   smr2112

smr2112

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 511 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:03 PM

They owe you a loaner car for sure, will likely take a week to get parts and fix.
Drive the loaner car across the country!

Easy fix really and if done right, should not have an issue again.

2013 FFH Hybrid Titanium 900A / Sterling Grey / Driver Assist / Park Assist / Adapt. Cruise / Moonroof / Navigation -- Took delivery 04/16/13

194152.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·