Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Fusion Hybrid Transmission Leaking

Transmission Hybrid

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,813 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

If  the silicone seal works, it's certainly preferable to taking the transmission out and taking it apart even under warranty. Just keep an eye on it and check for any spots under the car. It's not an automatic transmission fluid, it's just a gearbox oil and losing a few ounces probably wouldn't damage anything.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   gemdc

gemdc

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 74 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Platinum White, Dune
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

Copy of previous post by MSC928

----------------------------------------

Good Morning,

The spec of the oil is:

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-10-QLVC

Capacity 5,4Liter (5.71 qt.), but why do you want to check the oil level? Normally, the transmission does not consume any oil, except it is leaking. Ford recommend to change the transmission fluid every 240.000 Km (150.000 Miles) only (see owner manual page 435). Transmission oil level check is only recommended, if the transmission is not working properly (see owner manual page 257).

But be aware: Transmission fluid should be checked by an authorized dealer. If required, fluid

should be added by an authorized dealer.

-----------------------------------------------------

I believe it is pretty much regular automatic transmission fluid even though there are no clutches in the "transmission".  That stuff will leak if anything will leak.  Shouldn't happen of course.

243968.png

(for comparison, my previous vehicle)

168733.png

#23 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

Sounds to me that one of the bolts wasn't properly torqued during assembly. 

• hybridbear likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#24 OFFLINE   mook663

mook663

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

Follow up on my transmission leak. My dealer found a few bolts that needed a half to 3/4 turn to tighten up, cleaned it up, and test drove it for a bit. Seems to be fixed. 

Just have to keep an eye on it!

#25 OFFLINE   RobertIverson

RobertIverson

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid SE w/505a

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

41,000 miles on my April 2013 Hybrid. Took in today for oil change. Dealer said leaking transmission oil on case. Nothing hitting the driveway yet. Dealer wants it for 3 days or so. Will put me in a rental. I have Platinum extended warranty with $100 deductible. I may get my $1850 bucks worth from the extended warranty. I too am wary of having a transmission pulled.... don't want new problems to pop up. I guess I'm thinking back to when I pulled motors and transmissions and had extra hardware after re-installing. Anyone know of a TSB on the leak? I'll take in next Tuesday for the work to be done. Other than this leak and my front power windows not auto up all the time, great car.

#26 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 239 posts
  • Current Vehicle:None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:08 AM

A TSB came out a few days ago for a trans leak for cars built Dec 1 2013 or earlier. The trans needs to be removed and case halves disassembled. Not everything in the trans has to come apart. 

My car was built in early November 2013. I have no leaks so far.

• GrySql likes this

#27 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

So cars built after December that have leaking transmissions aren't under this TSB? Strange, seems like those who posted so far have later built cars. 

Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

A TSB came out a few days ago for a trans leak for cars built Dec 1 2013 or earlier. The trans needs to be removed and case halves disassembled. Not everything in the trans has to come apart. 

Mine is that old and when we had it up on the rack to change the oil a few weeks ago I had fluid on the eCVT housing.

After a thorough inspection it turned out the oil filter had a very small weep at the gasket that was flowing back to the trans.

Cleaned it all up, replaced the oil and filter and so far so good.

• hybridbear likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#29 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Can you post a copy of this TSB please?

I did an oil change on our car yesterday and discovered that the eCVT is leaking. Nothing will reach the ground due to the aerodynamic cover, but there was a big stain on the aerodynamic cover from the leak and I could see fluid leaking out from at least 3 of the bolts underneath the car.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#30 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 239 posts
  • Current Vehicle:None

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

The TSB number is 14-0085.

While the transmission is out and apart to fix the leak, it may be a good idea to pay a little extra and get the internal trans filter replaced and clean the magnet. I don't know how much more work it is, but with the new fluid,  might as well get the filter replaced at the same time...

#31 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

While the transmission is out and apart to fix the leak, it may be a good idea to pay a little extra and get the internal trans filter replaced and clean the magnet. I don't know how much more work it is, but with the new fluid,  might as well get the filter replaced at the same time...

Thanks. I did a Google search for this TSB number and found that Jeff_h had posted it at the Energi Forum. Perhaps he can here too.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#32 OFFLINE   inco

inco

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 215 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

I wonder if Ford might not replace the filter as part of the process. It would make sense to do that now or to at least cover the costs of the labour if an owner asks.

Drive fuelishly  - not foolishly

#33 OFFLINE   expresspotato

expresspotato

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 218 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid with > 8 problems & 20 dealer visits

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

Holy sh*t wow these car's build quality does suck... Hoping this isn't visit number 18 to my dealer in the first two years I've owned the car.

Wow I just really can't believe this, leaking transmission and its the eCVT? Odds are if I let them do it they're just going to make it worse some how which is what happened on repairs 4, 7, 9 and 12 :sneaking:

I like Ford because they're American, but between this TSB and the Escape's what 11 recalls now or something Mulally needs to do a better job.

Edited by expresspotato, 23 June 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Thanks. I did a Google search for this TSB number and found that Jeff_h had posted it at the Energi Forum. Perhaps he can here too.

Okey doke

Attached Files

• hybridbear and Joe Sofia Sr. like this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#35 OFFLINE   Fj55toyota

Fj55toyota

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Ti

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

First post but have looked here for lots of stuff.  So car goes in for 3rd oil change and they find the leak that I never saw.  We leave the car at the dealer since it is easier then picking up while parts are ordered.  The next week the wife picks the car up after the work is done. Next day drives to work and it is making noise.  They find a rock that got on the left front rotor.  They give her the car and said good to go.  Then returns 20 minutes later cause it is making all kinds of noise now.  And now we have a new transmission.  Reports go like this;

Oil leaking check and advise

Verified concern found trans fluid leaking added trans oil dye and looked on OASIS found TSB-14-0085 removed TCM drained coolant, remove axle shafts, and ball joints transmission resealed case and re  Must be more but thats all on the sheet.

Car goes back and we get this:

Trans leak between case halves and trans noisy. When engine is running with stethascope very noise at rear cover pulled trans and took bell housing off took rear cover off had metal debrise at bearings.  And now we have a new transmission in the car.

Hope anyone elses repairs go better but we had no noise before it was worked on.

• GrySql likes this

#36 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

First post but have looked here for lots of stuff.  So car goes in for 3rd oil change and they find the leak that I never saw.  We leave the car at the dealer since it is easier then picking up while parts are ordered.  The next week the wife picks the car up after the work is done. Next day drives to work and it is making noise.  They find a rock that got on the left front rotor.  They give her the car and said good to go.  Then returns 20 minutes later cause it is making all kinds of noise now.  And now we have a new transmission.  Reports go like this;
Oil leaking check and advise
      Verified concern found trans fluid leaking added trans oil dye and looked on OASIS found TSB-14-0085 removed TCM drained coolant, remove axle shafts, and ball joints transmission resealed case and re  Must be more but thats all on the sheet.
Car goes back and we get this:
      Trans leak between case halves and trans noisy. When engine is running with stethascope very noise at rear cover pulled trans and took bell housing off took rear cover off had metal debrise at bearings.  And now we have a new transmission in the car.
Hope anyone elses repairs go better but we had no noise before it was worked on.

At least you now have a car with no issues. It could've been worse.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#37 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,813 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Worries about taking the transmission apart to fix the oil leak of some cars confirmed !

• acdii and hybridbear like this

#38 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed that my car remains perfect for the next 150K  miles. So far no leaks found(at least I HOPE they have looked).

Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   cngrevolution

cngrevolution

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:12 AM

very interesting. A friend of mine had a cmax energi which had leaking on the trans. I now have a brand new 2013 Lincoln mkz hybrid (dealer owner demo) i did the first oil change myself to check things out and look around and guess what? I have a leak too! its on the trans and a huge stain on the cover that is under the engine. mine was built in june of 13.

#40 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

I scheduled my appt with the dealer yesterday to address a bunch of issues and I referenced the TSB number (14-0085) listed above. The Service Advisor said that this is not a valid Ford TSB and they will not necessarily be able to fix it. He said that this TSB is just "some junk that circulates on the internet" and that is "is not legitimate". I don't have very high expectations that the dealer will do a good job fixing the car.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·