madmax87

2013 Fusion Hybrid Transmission Leaking

A TSB came out a few days ago for a trans leak for cars built Dec 1 2013 or earlier. The trans needs to be removed and case halves disassembled. Not everything in the trans has to come apart.

My car was built in early November 2013. I have no leaks so far.

So cars built after December that have leaking transmissions aren't under this TSB? Strange, seems like those who posted so far have later built cars.

A TSB came out a few days ago for a trans leak for cars built Dec 1 2013 or earlier. The trans needs to be removed and case halves disassembled. Not everything in the trans has to come apart.

Mine is that old and when we had it up on the rack to change the oil a few weeks ago I had fluid on the eCVT housing.

After a thorough inspection it turned out the oil filter had a very small weep at the gasket that was flowing back to the trans.

Cleaned it all up, replaced the oil and filter and so far so good.

Can you post a copy of this TSB please?

I did an oil change on our car yesterday and discovered that the eCVT is leaking. Nothing will reach the ground due to the aerodynamic cover, but there was a big stain on the aerodynamic cover from the leak and I could see fluid leaking out from at least 3 of the bolts underneath the car.

The TSB number is 14-0085.

While the transmission is out and apart to fix the leak, it may be a good idea to pay a little extra and get the internal trans filter replaced and clean the magnet. I don't know how much more work it is, but with the new fluid, might as well get the filter replaced at the same time...

While the transmission is out and apart to fix the leak, it may be a good idea to pay a little extra and get the internal trans filter replaced and clean the magnet. I don't know how much more work it is, but with the new fluid, might as well get the filter replaced at the same time...

Thanks. I did a Google search for this TSB number and found that Jeff_h had posted it at the Energi Forum. Perhaps he can here too.

I wonder if Ford might not replace the filter as part of the process. It would make sense to do that now or to at least cover the costs of the labour if an owner asks.

Holy sh*t wow these car's build quality does suck... Hoping this isn't visit number 18 to my dealer in the first two years I've owned the car.

Wow I just really can't believe this, leaking transmission and its the eCVT? Odds are if I let them do it they're just going to make it worse some how which is what happened on repairs 4, 7, 9 and 12 :sneaking:

I like Ford because they're American, but between this TSB and the Escape's what 11 recalls now or something Mulally needs to do a better job.

Edited by expresspotato

First post but have looked here for lots of stuff. So car goes in for 3rd oil change and they find the leak that I never saw. We leave the car at the dealer since it is easier then picking up while parts are ordered. The next week the wife picks the car up after the work is done. Next day drives to work and it is making noise. They find a rock that got on the left front rotor. They give her the car and said good to go. Then returns 20 minutes later cause it is making all kinds of noise now. And now we have a new transmission. Reports go like this;

Oil leaking check and advise

Verified concern found trans fluid leaking added trans oil dye and looked on OASIS found TSB-14-0085 removed TCM drained coolant, remove axle shafts, and ball joints transmission resealed case and re Must be more but thats all on the sheet.

Car goes back and we get this:

Trans leak between case halves and trans noisy. When engine is running with stethascope very noise at rear cover pulled trans and took bell housing off took rear cover off had metal debrise at bearings. And now we have a new transmission in the car.

Hope anyone elses repairs go better but we had no noise before it was worked on.

First post but have looked here for lots of stuff. So car goes in for 3rd oil change and they find the leak that I never saw. We leave the car at the dealer since it is easier then picking up while parts are ordered. The next week the wife picks the car up after the work is done. Next day drives to work and it is making noise. They find a rock that got on the left front rotor. They give her the car and said good to go. Then returns 20 minutes later cause it is making all kinds of noise now. And now we have a new transmission. Reports go like this;

Oil leaking check and advise

Verified concern found trans fluid leaking added trans oil dye and looked on OASIS found TSB-14-0085 removed TCM drained coolant, remove axle shafts, and ball joints transmission resealed case and re Must be more but thats all on the sheet.

Car goes back and we get this:

Trans leak between case halves and trans noisy. When engine is running with stethascope very noise at rear cover pulled trans and took bell housing off took rear cover off had metal debrise at bearings. And now we have a new transmission in the car.

Hope anyone elses repairs go better but we had no noise before it was worked on.

At least you now have a car with no issues. It could've been worse.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my car remains perfect for the next 150K miles. So far no leaks found(at least I HOPE they have looked).

very interesting. A friend of mine had a cmax energi which had leaking on the trans. I now have a brand new 2013 Lincoln mkz hybrid (dealer owner demo) i did the first oil change myself to check things out and look around and guess what? I have a leak too! its on the trans and a huge stain on the cover that is under the engine. mine was built in june of 13.

I scheduled my appt with the dealer yesterday to address a bunch of issues and I referenced the TSB number (14-0085) listed above. The Service Advisor said that this is not a valid Ford TSB and they will not necessarily be able to fix it. He said that this TSB is just "some junk that circulates on the internet" and that is "is not legitimate". I don't have very high expectations that the dealer will do a good job fixing the car.

That TSB pdf referenced in post # 34 is certainly a clever forgery.

My experience with my dealer is that if I want anything other than an oil change or a tire rotation they call the "Hot Line" and get instructions on what to do.

I also found my transmission leaking when doing first oil change on my 2014 FFH SE, and my car's build date is 1/17/2014.

So now how does the TSB apply?

From my build sheet of my car it does not specify the transmissions actual build date that of the TSB, and I have now way of knowing if mine being an HF-35 automatic transmission was or not built on or before 12/1/2013.

It is possible my transmission meets the requirements for TSB 14-0085 I don't see every assembly and sub-assembly being built and assembled on the car's birth date.

Question I have is there a way to find out if my transmission does meet the requirements for the TSB?

IF so how do I check it out?

I don't want to spend any more time at the dealership than needed. I'm not overly pleased with them at all.

edit to correct the car build date from 19th to 17th rechecked etis.

Edited by Ram

I also found my transmission leaking when doing first oil change on my 2014 FFH SE, and my car's build date is 1/19/2014.

So now how does the TSB apply?

From my build sheet of my car it does not specify the transmissions actual build date that of the TSB, and I have now way of knowing if mine being an HF-35 automatic transmission was or not built on or before 12/1/2013.

It is possible my transmission meets the requirements for TSB 14-0085 I don't see every assembly and sub-assembly being built and assembled on the car's birth date.

Question I have is there a way to find out if my transmission does meet the requirements for the TSB?

IF so how do I check it out?

I don't want to spend any more time at the dealership than needed. I'm not overly pleased with them at all.

I guess the best thing would be to bring the car in and let them know that you discovered that your transmission is leaking. As murphy stated above, the dealer has to get direction from the Ford hotline which should approve the TSB repair even though your build date is after the TSB cutoff. The TSB build date refers to the car build date.

The dealership tells me that they don't find any leaks. I changed oil at 4500 miles and discovered the leak. I wiped off all the fluid that was on the underside of the case. The car now has about 7600 miles and they claim there is no evidence of a leak. They've asked me to come by the dealership tomorrow morning to show the technician where the leak is. It was pretty obvious to me, the entire length of the transmission seal had pink fluid on it...

This dealership experience is not going well...

I went today and they told me that if it's "just seeping and not dripping" that they won't fix it because having transmission fluid seep out of a brand new car is "acceptable". I replied that there's a TSB about this issue so apparently Ford doesn't think it's acceptable.

The technician had not even removed the underbody shield but had just shined his flashlight in there and determined that there was no issue.

Edited by hybridbear

I went today and they told me that if it's "just seeping and not dripping" that they won't fix it because having transmission fluid seep out of a brand new car is "acceptable". I replied that there's a TSB about this issue so apparently Ford doesn't think it's acceptable.

The technician had not even removed the underbody shield but had just shined his flashlight in there and determined that there was no issue.

This is crazy they should have their a$$ handed over by Ford. I would be furious...

This is crazy they should have their a$$ handed over by Ford. I would be furious...

At first when I arrived to show them the technician had a visibly bad attitude about it. You could tell by his body language & comments that he was thinking "here's another whiner complaining about every little thing". However, as I showed him the issues and we went through the list his attitude seemed to change. I was calm throughout the whole ordeal & I tried to be very careful in how I phrased things so as not to sound demanding got superior in what I was asking them to do and I think that helped him to change his attitude. Hopefully now he'll go back to working on our car on Monday with a different attitude and will actually fix things. Edited by hybridbear

However, as I showed him the issues and we went through the list his attitude seemed to change. I was calm throughout the whole ordeal & I tried to be very careful in how I phrased things so as not to sound demanding got superior in what I was asking them to do and I think that helped him to change his attitude. Hopefully now he'll go back to working on our car on Monday with a different attitude and will actually fix things.

Sounds like you handled it very well, HB. Once the relationship becomes hostile it is very difficult to repair. I hope Monday goes well for you.

It sounds like you guys have to find better dealerships! I don't mean to be crass, but I drive 50 minutes to my dealership just to avoid the crappy dealership 15 minutes away. ;