billford

Climate Control Issues

Last weekend, my climate control started to act up. It was blowing cold air out of the center vents, the drivers and passenger temperature display showed "00"

I could not change the temperature on the touch screen or the manual buttons, they were locked up. But I could change the fan speed. The a/c, defrost and recirculate buttons all would light up when touched, but did not change anything with the air flow or temperature.

Since I could not drive it due to fogging on the windshield and freezing interior temperatures, I was going to get it towed to the dealer.

Before towing it, I tried the Sync system master reset. It did not help.

Then I tried removing the 12 volt battery cable and waited for 10 minutes. When I reconnected it, then the climate control started to work normally and I could drive it again. And so far it has been ok.

Since the system started to work after disconnecting the battery, I believe that it is a software issue. But this 1 month old 2014 is supposed to have the latest updates already.

I realize that it should have been checked for codes by the dealer first before disconnecting the battery, but I was stuck and had no choice but to try and disconnect the battery as towing would be the last resort.

So the question is, why did it happen in the first place? Software issue? Hardware issue?

I hope you will drop by the dealer and share your experience and have them check for codes, or perhaps reflash everything. I also have a new unit and right now it's super cold outside -1f without the wind chill. I doubt I would be able to do the battery connect.

Check back in if you will as this is not something to ignore.

So the question is, why did it happen in the first place? Software issue? Hardware issue?

Hi billford,

It's hard to pinpoint the cause of this. I encourage you to bring this to your dealership's attention the next time you're in for service.

Kim

My dealer called to tell me that Ford has a new reflash to fix my original problem of the MFT showing 00 and not holding the set temperatures.

I'm glad the dealer did not replace any parts or go on a wild goose chase trying to fix anything, as they suspected a software issue from the beginning.

I would blame Ford for not keeping the dealer in the loop, that a software fix was being developed.

You need to investigate changing the battery type more fully as I think the car charging software wants to know what kind of battery is installed. The replacement lead-acids from Ford have been working pretty well.