BlueZips

K&N replacement air filter

oh no, not again.

Petunias.

I would rather not get started on K&N and how poor they do in protecting an engine, but It's yours, do what you want with it.

Before you do any modifications, including the air filter, make sure it does not affect the factory warranty terms. If there is engine damage later, they may deny warranty, even if it is not a result of the aftermarket air filter.

The oil has been known to cause MAF issues. If any of it gets on the sensor it can destroy it, you dont even have to see any oil, it doesn't take much at all.

Just remember this, lower restriction means larger openings in the filter, larger openings means smaller dirt particles can get through and cause engine damage. The thing about these particular filters is they need to get dirty before they become effective at filtering the dirt out. until they do, they let very fine dust get through and sucked into the engine.

On Hybrids, until I see certified documented proof an aftermarket device, no matter what it is, actually helps to improve fuel economy, I won't put it anywhere near my car. I certainly wouldn't put something like this on for under a 1 MPG gain and take the risk of ingesting dust into the engine.

Years ago I fell into the K&N theory and put one on a 97 Explorer V8, other than being louder on the intake, I saw no improvements to warrant the cost of the filter, and after 6 months during a routine check I found dust on the inside of the intake tube. Needless to say it went in the trash. I have used AFE filters though and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I had one on my 99 F350 and after 60K miles the intake was spotless, much better than the stock box setup ever was.

Thankfully I replaced the stock box with the AFE in time, the turbo was showing signs of dusting. The blades were showing some rounding of the leading edges.

I dont know about your filter, but I saw light through mine, clearly, through holes. There are no gains to get by using one on the Hybrid, but for my Flex, a cold air kit with a good dry filter is worth doing, but only a dry filter like AEM of AFE, dusted turbos are quite expensive to replace. When I saw the fine dust inside the t=intake past the filter, that was enough to convince me not to use the k&n again. Better safe than sorry.

People seem to love them or hate them.

My opinion is, if the manufacturer could squeeze even a minor amount of extra power or fuel economy using the K&N without compromising the engine, I think they would have used them. Maybe there's a reason why they don't..