md13ffhguy

Remote start/climate control issue

So, here's the story...

Driving home from work the other night (last Friday), I decided to try an experiment. I wanted to see the best fuel economy I could achieve going from work to home, which is always the most difficult part of my commute in terms of MPG, but this story isn't about MPGs... I set my nav to calculate the most ecological route for me, which ended up taking me quite a long time, but I knew that would be the case. Since I was trying to maximize my fuel efficiency, I didn't keep the climate control system on continuously, but rather used my heated seat and only turned on the system when the windows began to fog.

So, maybe it was the third or fourth cycle of turning the system on, when I was surprised by what happened. The first thing I noticed is that the fan cranked up to full speed - it was then that I looked at the temperature setting, which looked like this: 12*. That's right - a tiny 1 and a normal sized 2... I first tried to raise the temperature, but pressing + or - did nothing. I then tried powering off the system, but that didn't work at first either. So, it was about 25* outside and I've got full-force cold air blowing on me... Eventually, after some serious, frantic button-pressing (all while driving), the climate system shut down. I waited a few minutes to try it again, and everything seemed to return to normal. The only exception is that when I pressed the + and - buttons to raise or lower the temp, the system made no sound, although the changes seemed to take effect.

Since the issue above occurred, I've used my remote start about three times, and the climate control system no longer seems to operate during remote starts, even though it's freaking cold out! I went into the Settings menu for Remote Start, and all the options are now grayed out, with no way to change them. Btw, although I previously looked at this menu, I never changed any of these settings, preferring to leave them all on Auto (I think that was the default). Other than during remote start, the climate system does seem to be operating ok, although as mentioned above, I still do not hear any beep tones when using + and - to change the temp.

A little research turned up these threads with seemingly similar issues:

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/10918-remote-start-climate-settings-disabled/

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1601-no-climate-control-during-remote-start/

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1589-heat-temp-set-to-0-degrees-what/

I guess I'm in for an exciting time with my dealer, unless anyone knows any easy fixes... I hate car dealers and service shops, period. They did give me free oil change coupon when I bought the car, so I guess I'll set up an appointment for that and drop this on them at the same time... There goes a day in my life.

MFT went POOF. Thats a laymens term for, some module got it's programming corrupted and is in fail safe mode. They should be able to resolve it, hopefully without having to replace anything, just a reflash of software.

I guess I'm in for an exciting time with my dealer, unless anyone knows any easy fixes... I hate car dealers and service shops, period. They did give me free oil change coupon when I bought the car, so I guess I'll set up an appointment for that and drop this on them at the same time... There goes a day in my life.

Hey md13ffhguy,

I think it's a good idea to get this looked at by your dealership.

Kim

Update: I was able to leave work a little early on Friday so I could spend some free time at my dealer. A service advisor was able to have someone look at the car that day, which was nice. However, an hour and a half turned up nothing. They weren't even sure if the grayed-out options on my menu was a normal condition or not. As a matter of fact, they questioned whether or not my remote start system was factory or a dealer installed accessory, as if there was some kind of difference in the way it would function. My car did come with remote start as an option that was on the manufacturer's sticker, not as a dealer-added item. Evidently, the reason they questioned this was because I have a separate fob for remote starting, as opposed to a remote start button on my actual car key. The service advisor said he would continue to research the problem and get back to me. In the meantime, I still do not have any heating during remote start operation.

Oh, and another update - a whole week has gone by without hearing back from the dealer. It's been pretty cold all week. A remotely-started, warmed-up car would have been nice, considering that's what I paid for...

Oh, and another update - a whole week has gone by without hearing back from the dealer. It's been pretty cold all week. A remotely-started, warmed-up car would have been nice, considering that's what I paid for...

Hey md13ffhguy,

Please send me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealership info. I'll let you know what I recommend.

Kim

I've been meaning to update this thread, but haven't had much time lately, so please excuse my tardiness! After Kim offered to step in and escalate my issue, I scheduled an appointment to drop my car at the dealer on the morning of February 10. I also added two more problems to my list: 1) the keypad outside the driver's door had never worked for me, and 2) the global windows up/down feature also had never worked. Actually, I thought that perhaps the problem with the keypad was due to my dry skin. The buttons seemed to only respond randomly to my touches and mostly did a lot of flashing. Sometimes I would notice them flashing even when I'd been nowhere near the car. Still, I thought that might be normal, but it happened when the service advisor and I were both 10 feet from the car, and he confirmed that this behavior was definitely not normal.

So, I waited... most patiently... until the dealer called on February 18 to say my car had been fixed. To be fair, they did call a few times in the interim with updates - i.e. "We're waiting on a part," or "We're still working on it." And so, it was returned to me, with all of my concerns seemingly addressed. The climate control settings in the remote start menu are no longer grayed out. The system functions as expected during remote starting - heat and heated seats when expected. The windows global up/down feature works as described. The panel with the keypad was replaced.

I'm still a little unclear as to what the fix was, other than the part that was replaced. My paperwork doesn't seem to address the issue. The service advisor called the next day to say that he remembered that my paperwork was never updated. His voice message said that the "body control module was reprogrammed along with one or two other things..." I'm not sure what that means.

I stopped by my dealer last week, because I needed them to pull the keypad code, since it had never worked for me, and I had long since forgotten what it was. Now that I know the code, the keypad works perfectly for me every time. I asked for clarification on what software had been reloaded, and he told me it was software associated with the instrument cluster. He implied that there had been an update to this software that my car had not previously received.

There's one other thing that causes a little concern to me. When I picked my car up, my service advisor mentioned that Ford does not consider this type of work (reloading of software) to be covered under warranty, so he said that they (the dealer) would not be reimbursed for that part of the job. I find that concept to be interesting, and disturbing if true. Something failed, or the software would not have to have been reloaded. Does anyone have any more insight into this? Also, can anyone decipher exactly what software might have been reloaded in my car? Could this have been an update from a service bulletin perhaps?

Did they charge you for it? Otherwise I wouldn't worry, as it is a line of BS. In order to fix some things, they have to reflash the software, which is what is sounds like they id for the dash. The BCM controls the door and window functions, and since it ties into the dash module, they would have had to reflash it anyways. How else would you be able to enable/disable the global feature from the dash if it wasnt tied in?

If the Remote start is an aftermarket dealer installed item that ties into the dash though, then they would not be reimbursed since its a non warranty item. Only the Factory installed Remote start would be covered by Ford.

Did they charge you for it? Otherwise I wouldn't worry, as it is a line of BS. In order to fix some things, they have to reflash the software, which is what is sounds like they id for the dash. The BCM controls the door and window functions, and since it ties into the dash module, they would have had to reflash it anyways. How else would you be able to enable/disable the global feature from the dash if it wasnt tied in?

If the Remote start is an aftermarket dealer installed item that ties into the dash though, then they would not be reimbursed since its a non warranty item. Only the Factory installed Remote start would be covered by Ford.

My FFH has the bi-directional remote that was installed after delivery and it is warranted the same as if it had been installed at the factory.

My FFH has the bi-directional remote that was installed after delivery and it is warranted the same as if it had been installed at the factory.

Was it installed by the dealer or by a third party before delivery to the dealer? I was referring to dealer installed ones that aren't listed on the build your car site. Some options aren't installed on the assembly line, but a shop located somewhere else. Items like remote start and DVD players come to mind.

Was it installed by the dealer or by a third party before delivery to the dealer? I was referring to dealer installed ones that aren't listed on the build your car site. Some options aren't installed on the assembly line, but a shop located somewhere else. Items like remote start and DVD players come to mind.

Installed by the dealer after I picked up the car. I tried to change my order, but it was to late as the VIN had been issued. if I ever have to replace the windshield I will have them install the receiving unit under the cover that has the camera and other neat stuff.

I'm now having the same problem and is planning on taking my car in tomorrow. The climate control under the remote start setting is all grayed out and I can't adjust anything. The AC isn't turning on like it's suppose to and it's getting cold out. How long did it take for them to fix your car?

I'm now having the same problem and is planning on taking my car in tomorrow. The climate control under the remote start setting is all grayed out and I can't adjust anything. The AC isn't turning on like it's suppose to and it's getting cold out. How long did it take for them to fix your car?

About a week, but if your dealer knows what they are doing, it should be much less than that.

I'm now having the same issue. The dealer just installed updates on our car today. One of them was for the IPC. I'm thinking they didn't install it correctly. I'm very disappointed in the continuing poor dealership experience.

I'm now having the same issue. The dealer just installed updates on our car today. One of them was for the IPC. I'm thinking they didn't install it correctly. I'm very disappointed in the continuing poor dealership experience.

Any other dealers reasonably close and not owned by the same people?

My preferred dealer just changed hands to a different Ford dealership. Not familiar with the new owners but as long as my personnel are close I'll go there. They go I head for the next closest one which also has a good rep.

I am also switching dealers, giving the one near my work a try to see if they are any better service wise.

Starting to think the tech in these cars has exceeded the overall "know how" at many dealers. Of course, I never trusted service shops, particularly dealer service shops, in pre-hybrid days anyhow... Too many stories here do nothing, but confirm my general skepticism.

Starting to think the tech in these cars has exceeded the overall "know how" at many dealers. Of course, I never trusted service shops, particularly dealer service shops, in pre-hybrid days anyhow... Too many stories here do nothing, but confirm my general skepticism.

What did it take to fix this for you? The service advisor just emailed me that he's talked to the technicians and they claim that there's nothing they can do to fix this and that they didn't mess anything up. They claim that this is normal. Edited by hybridbear

What did it take to fix this for you? The service advisor just emailed me that he's talked to the technicians and they claim that there's nothing they can do to fix this and that they didn't mess anything up. They claim that this is normal.

I'm not good with keeping paperwork, but I'll try to look it up. Like I said way back when (above), they reflashed some software associated with the instrument cluster.

I also experienced them trying to tell me it was normal. Obviously, it's not.

I'm not good with keeping paperwork, but I'll try to look it up. Like I said way back when (above), they reflashed some software associated with the instrument cluster.

Any update? Dealership still can't figure it out.

While your dealership was able to reprogram the module and fix your car that has not been successful with our Fusion... I posted more details here.

I haven't used my remote start in a while and tried it yesterday since it was really hot. The car started but it didn't turn on the climate controls like it used to. I took a look at the settings on the dashboard and mine are grayed out when to used to be available.

Strange how it used to be fine and all of a sudden it's all grayed out. Anyone able to do any reset without going to the dealer? I don't want this to turn into a big deal.

I haven't used my remote start in a while and tried it yesterday since it was really hot. The car started but it didn't turn on the climate controls like it used to. I took a look at the settings on the dashboard and mine are grayed out when to used to be available.

Strange how it used to be fine and all of a sudden it's all grayed out. Anyone able to do any reset without going to the dealer? I don't want this to turn into a big deal.

Did you do a remote start more than twice, I think it is, within an hour? If you do, remote start is disabled for an hour. I ran into that when I got a third IA key and was trying to verify that all three worked.