marc a

Disapointing Fuel Economy

Suppose, hypothetically:

Car A gets 40 MPG with an average driver and 42 MPG with an efficient driver.

Car B gets 40 MPG with an average driver and 47 MPG with an efficient driver.

In this hypothetical, clearly there's nothing wrong with Car B - in fact, based on this information it is better. However, if both cars are advertised with their EPA test cycle MPG - which matches the behavior of an efficient driver - then average drivers, who get 40 MPG in either car, are going to feel ripped off in Car B (advertised as 47 MPG) but not Car A (advertised as 42 MPG). In practice, the FFH is much more like Car B and others (e.g., Camry Hybrid) are more like Car A.

Arguably the EPA test cycle should be changed to better reflect the average driver, but it would be a mistake to drop the information about the upper potential of each car (which is the more relevant number for many drivers). Also, keep in mind that as optimistic as the EPA test cycle is, the ones used in Canada and the European Union are even more inflated. Likewise, I believe other cars inflate the MPG through the onboard gauge, too. Six MPG below sounds high, though. For me it's more like 2.1 or 2.2 MPG.

Edit: All of that said, it's always possible you got a lemon. It's just best to definitively rule out the driving style/driving conditions explanations before going there.

Edited by Ted Swing

Hey Guys, I never said that EPA is responsible for the computer programing Ford customer relationship said that. Like I said before, Ford deceived customers by claiming 47 MPG and is no way I can get 40 MPG in the highway at 65 MPH. The best I could do is 35 MPG by manual calculation not by the stupid gauge in the dash!!!

The EPA actually tests only about 15% of the cars. The other 75% are tested by the manufactures according to a detailed profile as defined by the EPA. The EPA highway test profile has a maximum speed of 60 MPH and an average speed of 48 MPH (not the 65 MPH you mentioned). This EPA highway test is a sweet spot for hybrids and that is a big reason why the highway EPA numbers are overly optimistic for hybrids.

Here is an excellent article from Consumer Reports that explains this and more:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/08/the-mpg-gap/index.htm

There has been much debate about this subject on these forums, but in my opinion the MPG tests conducted by Consumer Reports are far more representative of real world driving by typical/average drivers. Motorists that pursue driving techniques that take advantage of hybrid capabilities can do considerably better than the Consumer Reports MPG numbers and even match or exceed the EPA numbers but I think this is a very small percentage of drivers. Also, many (most?) drivers are not willing or interested in adopting the hybrid driving techniques that is required to achieve those higher MPG results.

Has Ford deceived the public by putting 47/47/47 on the FFH's window sticker when those numbers were actually achieved under the EPA testing profiles? In my opinion, I don't think so but I understand why people are upset when they don't achieve those numbers. For motorists new to hybrids (or those not interested in pursuing hybrid driving techniques) you are much better served by relying on the Consumer Reports MPG tests as opposed to the EPA numbers. In my opinion, the new car buyer should do investigation and research on fuel economy to avoid the EPA MPG surprise and disappointment. This information is readily available and should be part of the buyer's research and new car buying process.

Edited by Texasota

I guess I'm the exception. My life time is 51 MPG. My fill ups are close to what my Fusion is calculating. I have gone from filling up my Focus every week, to filling up my Fusion every other week. I use a few more gallons, typically 3 I think, over the two weeks. I'm happy with what my Fusion is doing.

My trip fuel usage vs. tank fillup have always been pretty close (less than 1/2 gal difference) as long as I don't fill beyond first click. I also tend to fill up at the same gas station every time. If I try to fill much beyond first click I seem not to get the usage of that extra gas in my trip distance. I suspect the extra gas is going back up the pump's vapor recovery system.

As others have said, driving habits are the biggest factor that affects fuel economy. Regardless of the type of vehicle I'm driving I have been able to exceed advertised EPA fuel economy. Even when driving a large vehicle like a Ford F-150 extended cab I have been able to exceed its fuel rating. With he FFH, however, it did take me a few months to really figure out how to get the best fuel economy out of it. The biggest reason for this is that driving a hybrid for maximum fuel efficiency is way different than a traditional ICE vehicle. Hybrids will also severely "punish" speeding.

Yes it does. But even with temps in the 40s I can still get close to 49 mpg. It's a little more difficult but it can be done.

Same here, If temp is above 40 I can get around 49mpg or better.