cjn-md

Cross Traffic System Fault

Sorry meant Ashley here in the forum, Allison is/was the assigned Ford CRM.

Well Allison has bowed out now that I have contacted BBB. Seems to me Ford CRM 's try to manage us not the situation. At least in my case I had no one as an ombudsman protecting my rights no one stepped up not even the dealership AL Packer Ford . No matter how you cut it 47 days in the shop in 6 months this is just not right.

Sometimes, only bright lights can help. Perhaps it's time you reached out to a TV station with a Consumer Affairs person. You certainly seem to have a valid complaint.

Geez...had the Cross Traffic System Fault error appear yesterday on my '13 HyTi with 15k miles. Took a photo of the dash.

DE5D0A29-FE0F-4A57-914C-11169F89BC9C.jpg

Came here and did a search, found this thread. After reading cjn-md's problems, I'm a little worried.

Drove back & forth to work today, but the System Fault warning has not reappeared.

Geez...had the Cross Traffic System Fault error appear yesterday on my '13 HyTi with 15k miles. Took a photo of the dash.

DE5D0A29-FE0F-4A57-914C-11169F89BC9C.jpg

Came here and did a search, found this thread. After reading cjn-md's problems, I'm a little worried.

Drove back & forth to work today, but the System Fault warning has not reappeared.

Our car gets these faults periodically as well. It has only happened to us when the car is quite dirty from driving on wet roads. When the car is clean this issue has never happened. I sometimes wonder if perhaps the dirt building up on the sensors is what causes this...

Our car gets these faults periodically as well. It has only happened to us when the car is quite dirty from driving on wet roads. When the car is clean this issue has never happened. I sometimes wonder if perhaps the dirt building up on the sensors is what causes this...

Same here - mine has done this 6-7 times but every time the weather was lots of rain and road spray, or snowy/slushy.

Same here - mine has done this 6-7 times but every time the weather was lots of rain and road spray, or snowy/slushy.

I've had it on the front in slushy weather and simply cleaned off the sensors to stop it. Never had it on the sides. Mine has always been with the ACC sensors. Edited by Fastronaut

Good day folks thought I would bring you up to speed.

After getting the car back after the engine compartment wiring harness replacement the problem reoccurred again.
It was then determined that the cabin wiring harness that runs the "mid-level" network communications was the new fault. So out comes the entire interior of the car to replace this wiring harness. At this point not much of this car had not been disassembled and reassembled to try and fix the root cause.
Much to the credit of the service team I could not tell the car was apart once I got it back this time.

About 600 miles later the fault happens again. Back to service and they find yet another code pointing to yet another module that controls the cross traffic and backup monitoring sensors that needs to be replaced. It is back in the shop to have this work done as I type this.

The bright side is that after 10 days of getting BBB involved FORD has agreed to repurchase the car, but this may take up to 90 days to complete. Maybe it was the failure of the 3rd official "REPAIR" attempt that pushed them over the edge, I will never know for sure. No issue for me as a drive 120 miles per day and this mileage is on them now since I have already communicated the repurchase commitment mileage to FORD. The longer it takes the better for me.
So it will be off to find a replacement hybrid and hopefully have a much better experience.

Please be aware that I learned the FORD's Customer Managers stop communicating with you once you get an outside entity involved so do not mention this unless you are truly bringing outside resources to help you as a last resort.

Just to be clear my issue always happened in the clear with no snow, dirt or debris blocking the sensors. If you have a reoccurring issue document it with a photo of the screen to support your case. This is your evidence of the event as the event does not always leave a digital record of the event in the cars computer system.

Well that is good news in a way. What a PITA they can be, especially having to basically tear the entire car apart and not resolve the issue. The time and materials Ford spent probably cost them more than had they just repurchased the car. Then the car goes off to a SEP lot and someone who could care less about CTA would buy it and Ford would get most of their money back. Instead they spent at least a few grand in warranty time and materials, so now they are out both.

So are you going to look for another Fusion, or going to that "other" company?

... and we have a WINNER! Glad it worked out for you cjn-md. I gladly relinquish sad story spot 1 to you. Hope you get a new vehicle soon. Remember that the sales tax reimbursement comes much later for Maryland after you purchase the new vehicle. Be sure to work with your Dealership to ensure the forms have been processed at the time of the repurchase paperwork. I had to take a ride to the DMV HQ in Glen Burnie to make it happen.

Good day folks thought I would bring you up to speed.

After getting the car back after the engine compartment wiring harness replacement the problem reoccurred again.

It was then determined that the cabin wiring harness that runs the "mid-level" network communications was the new fault. So out comes the entire interior of the car to replace this wiring harness. At this point not much of this car had not been disassembled and reassembled to try and fix the root cause.

Much to the credit of the service team I could not tell the car was apart once I got it back this time.

About 600 miles later the fault happens again. Back to service and they find yet another code pointing to yet another module that controls the cross traffic and backup monitoring sensors that needs to be replaced. It is back in the shop to have this work done as I type this.

The bright side is that after 10 days of getting BBB involved FORD has agreed to repurchase the car, but this may take up to 90 days to complete. Maybe it was the failure of the 3rd official "REPAIR" attempt that pushed them over the edge, I will never know for sure. No issue for me as a drive 120 miles per day and this mileage is on them now since I have already communicated the repurchase commitment mileage to FORD. The longer it takes the better for me.

So it will be off to find a replacement hybrid and hopefully have a much better experience.

Please be aware that I learned the FORD's Customer Managers stop communicating with you once you get an outside entity involved so do not mention this unless you are truly bringing outside resources to help you as a last resort.

Just to be clear my issue always happened in the clear with no snow, dirt or debris blocking the sensors. If you have a reoccurring issue document it with a photo of the screen to support your case. This is your evidence of the event as the event does not always leave a digital record of the event in the cars computer system.

Glad to hear that you're getting a resolution. I hope you'll consider another FFH, or maybe stepping up to an Energi or something similar.

Thanks for all the support guys you kept me focused and motivated. Ford corporate has already reached out to me to start the process so it might be done by the end of the month. I will make sure I get the MVA repurchase documents so I can recover the original taxes on the car, thanks for the tip.

No doubt I will get another hybrid or Energi just not sure if it will be a Fusion or MKZ. Overall my MPG with this car was 42MPG with a warm weather average of 44MPG and this is mostly highway.
The local dealer has had some MKZ's close in price to the titanium model I had with the option set I want so its worth a look.
Either way I will be hanging out here as the best information on these cars is on this site.

Cheers

Thanks for all the support guys you kept me focused and motivated. Ford corporate has already reached out to me to start the process so it might be done by the end of the month. I will make sure I get the MVA repurchase documents so I can recover the original taxes on the car, thanks for the tip.

No doubt I will get another hybrid or Energi just not sure if it will be a Fusion or MKZ. Overall my MPG with this car was 42MPG with a warm weather average of 44MPG and this is mostly highway.

The local dealer has had some MKZ's close in price to the titanium model I had with the option set I want so its worth a look.

Either way I will be hanging out here as the best information on these cars is on this site.

Cheers

Make sure you fully understand the repurchase limitations; especially, if the new vehicle happens to be lower in cost than the older one.

Since Ford is in the process of re-purchasing the car I still had to take it in (as previously scheduled) to have the Cross Traffic/Backup Sensor module inside the right kick panel replaced. This was to be a one day event, Five days and two modules later the car's dead body lays inside the Ford Service bay. I find it poetic that after all the previous attempts to fix the car it is now dead, it cannot even be turned on or started at this time and after three o days of investigating way they cannot determine why. Guess I will not have to drive it back to the dealership to turn it back in.

Well if they weren't going to repurchase, they have to now! They killed your car!

Since Ford is in the process of re-purchasing the car I still had to take it in (as previously scheduled) to have the Cross Traffic/Backup Sensor module inside the right kick panel replaced. This was to be a one day event, Five days and two modules later the car's dead body lays inside the Ford Service bay. I find it poetic that after all the previous attempts to fix the car it is now dead, it cannot even be turned on or started at this time and after three o days of investigating way they cannot determine why. Guess I will not have to drive it back to the dealership to turn it back in.

Glad you're getting your car replaced, hope the new one comes soon since yours is now toast.

Our whole road trip passed without a single Cross Traffic Fault. I think that most of the issues relate to dirt getting on the sensors and causing the fault in the winter. Because of the Zaino treatment, water beads on our car and in the winter that causes the dirt to adhere in little specks all over the back of the car due to its aerodynamics. With warmer weather and cleaner roads I'm hoping to not see any more issues with the Cross Traffic Alert system.

The final outcome!

After 5 months Ford has repurchased the vehicle in the OP.
In fact it spent another 3 weeks in the shop just before they agreed to take it back in mid-April getting me close to 80 days out of service in 8 months.
After agreeing to repurchase, the process took several weeks to complete as they messed up by sending the paperwork to the wrong dealership. Last Friday the bank confirmed the payoff was received and the loan paid off.
Once I had a hard commitment on the repurchase I went to look for a replacement and went with the MKZ hybrid so I will be sticking around with you guys. The car I found on the dealer's website was in the exact configuration I wanted, was in production at the time and was to be delivered in two to three weeks. Karma for sure! After telling the Lincoln sales managers my story, they made me a first time under cost offer that I could not refuse.

Now 2300 miles later a can say I have not had one issue with the MKZh and I am getting mixed driving trips of 50 miles one way of up to 52 MPG with the lifetime of 44.2 MPG as of this morning. Not bad at all.

Thanks for all your support and safe driving to all.

The final outcome!

In fact it spent another 3 weeks in the shop just before they agreed to take it back in mid-April getting me close to 80 days out of service in 8 months.

After agreeing to repurchase, the process took several weeks to complete as they messed up by sending the paperwork to the wrong dealership. Last Friday the bank confirmed the payoff was received and the loan paid off.

Once I had a hard commitment on the repurchase I went to look for a replacement and went with the MKZ hybrid so I will be sticking around with you guys. The car I found on the dealer's website was in the exact configuration I wanted, was in production at the time and was to be delivered in two to three weeks. Karma for sure! After telling the Lincoln sales managers my story, they made me a first time under cost offer that I could not refuse.

Now 2300 miles later a can say I have not had one issue with the MKZh and I am getting mixed driving trips of 50 miles one way of up to 52 MPG with the lifetime of 44.2 MPG as of this morning. Not bad at all.

I love a happy ending. :shift:

The final outcome!

Good things come to those who wait. Congrats on your new MKZh and better luck this time around but it seems you are on a good path.

Cool, glad you toughed it out and gave it a second chance and it paid off. I know I'm glad I did.

I went to look for a replacement and went with the MKZ hybrid so I will be sticking around with you guys. The car I found on the dealer's website was in the exact configuration I wanted, was in production at the time and was to be delivered in two to three weeks. Karma for sure! After telling the Lincoln sales managers my story, they made me a first time under cost offer that I could not refuse.

Glad to see another FFHr leave the dark side and come into the light of the MKZh! ;) Congrats! Pics! We need pics! :camera:

Edited by SteveB_TX

Hello, everyone - I purchased a new 2014 MKZh last September and, from the get-go, was regularly receiving the Cross Traffic System Fault message, usually in heavy traffic. I live in Atlanta, so the snow/weather hasn't been a factor, but it appears to occur on the highway, where multiple lanes of traffic are moving and crossing behind me. After four separate visits to the dealership for various reasons, including this perennial error message, the dealer has now replaced a sensor IN THE TRANSMISSION, pulling the entire assembly and opening it up to expose what they believe is the faulty sensor.

I am anticipating getting my car back by the end of the week and will let you all know if that was the fix. If not, I'll also be looking for a vehicle repurchase, I fear. I was very happy to learn, through this thread, that I'm not alone or crazy! ...at least not alone.

Hi AtlantaArchitect,

Sorry to hear you are having this issue. It is quite frustrating as it never seems to happen when the service team drives it. Very similar to my issue based on your description.

Be sure to take a photo of the error message each time to document the event being sure the mileage is on the photo as your proof.
It is imperative that you take it back each time to get a Service Ticket written so it is documented in Ford/Lincoln's system as well. Just remember they do not consider a diagnostic a repair event only when they repair/replace sometime is it a repair event. The "repair events" is what they consider in any repurchase.

They need to understand you will not go away to be taken seriously. I am sure many people fold before getting the company to do the right thing.

It seems like we are on different ends of the scale now. Two and a half months and 6,700 miles after getting my Tuxedo Black 2014 MKZh I have not had one problem what so ever. In fact these cars mileage is better then the Fusion. Lifetime at 43.5 with every tank over 525 miles and one 600 mile tank with 13.4 gallons used as shown on the car's computer. Nice to know I am getting a check for this poor MPG performance.

Hang tough and I hope they fix it or take it back.

I am noticing the CTA Fault in mine as well, but only at startup, not while driving. I ran a VHR each time too, but until it happens more frequently, I wont be bringing it is since I can't go without the car.