Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Cross Traffic System Fault

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

28 continuous days and counting and the tech team is still looking for the root cause. At this time they are looking at the ABS wheel sensors as these apparently communicate on the same sub-system as the Cross Traffic system. Personally I do not see the correlation as that is not the error I am getting and an error with the ABS should leave a footprint in the ODBII computer.

It can tie in, the information from the ABS can be used to tell the CTA that you are moving.  If Waldo is correct, the PCM would have no tie in to the CTA then, so then the ABS could be used instead.  As far as the term PCM, they could be using it in the generic sense, any module could be considered a PCM in laymans terms. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   cjn-md

cjn-md

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 40 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKZh
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback gents nice to know someone has interest in this besides me. Had not considered using the ABS data to see if the car was moving as I thought they would simply use speedo data. Who knows for sure except the design engineers.
I have indeed used the word repurchase and the CSM on my case has collected all service data for this process. So now is it wait and see.

Current: 2014 Lincoln MKZh Tuxedo Black - Purchased 5/2014 - PERFECT so far!, and going strong  - 44.5 MPG Lifetime -  55,000 miles 04/1/2016

Previous: 2014 Ford Fusion Ice Storm - Purchased 8/2013, first repair event @ 360 mile, 6 repairs with 80 total days in the shop, repurchase completed 6/2014

#43 OFFLINE   cjn-md

cjn-md

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

Well here we are at the end of week five the car will be in the shop through the weekend and into next week, 32 continuous days - 36 days in total since the end of August 2013. This mornings update from my Service Manager indicates they are now replacing the entire engine compartment wiring harness due to a possibly problematic eight pin connector. The irony is that this connector was not considered a fault. The tech found some pin to pin interfaces were not as tight as they should be when doing point to point testing. If this is the case where else might the pins be bad?

I have reached out to the CSM handling my case to find out the status of a "repurchase"  as the "repair" time is well beyond the Maryland requirements for a Lemon law replacement. On the bright side I have not had to expose "my" car to the snowy weather/salt here in Maryland this winter.

• Fastronaut likes this

Current: 2014 Lincoln MKZh Tuxedo Black - Purchased 5/2014 - PERFECT so far!, and going strong  - 44.5 MPG Lifetime -  55,000 miles 04/1/2016

Previous: 2014 Ford Fusion Ice Storm - Purchased 8/2013, first repair event @ 360 mile, 6 repairs with 80 total days in the shop, repurchase completed 6/2014

#44 OFFLINE   Fastronaut

Fastronaut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 420 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

Well here we are at the end of week five the car will be in the shop through the weekend and into next week, 32 continuous days - 36 days in total since the end of August 2013. This mornings update from my Service Manager indicates they are now replacing the entire engine compartment wiring harness due to a possibly problematic eight pin connector. The irony is that this connector was not considered a fault. The tech found some pin to pin interfaces were not as tight as they should be when doing point to point testing. If this is the case where else might the pins be bad?

I have reached out to the CSM handling my case to find out the status of a "repurchase"  as the "repair" time is well beyond the Maryland requirements for a Lemon law replacement. On the bright side I have not had to expose "my" car to the snowy weather/salt here in Maryland this winter.

The Ford CSM hasn't got the sole horsepower to grant your wish.  You want his boss involved.  Your situation seems even more ridiculous than mine.   Make sure you involve the local dealership SENIOR management now.  Your dealership can be VERY important in this process.  Chances are they have done it before and have a person familiar with the paperwork.  Ford has a separate office just for this purpose and they are fairly fast to respond, once the decision has been made.  Good luck.

PM me if you need any help.

Edited by Fastronaut, 14 February 2014 - 01:17 PM.

• hybridbear likes this
250421.png

(HIS) 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium - Deep Impact Blue Metallic
  • Driver Assist Package (90A), Voice Activated Navigation (60N)
  • Active Park Assist (18C), Moon Roof (13B)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (53B), WeatherTech FloorLiner All-Weather Mats
  • Trunk Cargo Net (96B), Heated/Cooled Front Seats (46B), Heated Steering Wheel (52A)
Ordered: 10/28/13 | VIN assigned: 10/31/13 | Window Sticker: 11/13/13 | Actual Build Date: 11/21/13 | In-Transit: 11/23/13 | ETA: 12/14/13 | Arrived at CSX Facility: 12/05/13 | Arrived at Dealer: 12/09/13 | Delivered: 12/11/13

220431.png

(HERS) 2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium - Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
  • Trunk Cargo Net (96B)
Ordered: 11/06/12 | VIN assigned: 2/28/13 | Window Sticker: 3/28/13 | Actual Build Date: 04/06/13 | In-Transit: 4/17/13 | ETA: 5/07/13 | Arrived at CSX Facility: 4/29/13 | Arrived at Dealer: 5/02/13 | Delivered: 5/03/13 | Tagged: 5/06/13 | Major Failure in for Service: 5/13/13 | Lemon Law Replacement Vehicle Received: 6/17/13

#45 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

I would not stand for this. Replacing the entire harness because they "Think" its faulty?  On day 30 the Lawyer would have been calling Ford to either buy it back or replace it.  Good luck with what ever happens on this. I would not want a new car that has to have half its wiring harness replaced. 

• hybridbear likes this

Posted Image

#46 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

I agree that you should get your car replaced under your Lemon Law state program. I would suggest that you get Ashley to help with that.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#47 OFFLINE   cjn-md

cjn-md

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Well folks here is more of the sad story. I now know why the Ford oval is Blue, it is us holding our breath for them to take ownership of and to fix an issue!

After 40 continuous days in the shop I picked up the car on 2/25 and two days latter with just an additional 150 miles driven the Cross Traffic Fault error came on again. Yet another photo to document the event, another call to my local service manager, another call to my assigned Ford CRM and another PM to Ashley.

Lot's of communication happened that I did not list on the forum, giving Ford every opportunity to do the right thing so don't flame me for a rant.

Today Ford called telling me it has denied my claim for re-purchase. Says it does not meet the standards of the Maryland Lemon law as it is not a primary system that is having an issue. It seems it was lost in translation that the car has a safety issue (hesitates/stalls) that is imbedded when the error message the car shows up each time a safety report to the NTSHA is forthcoming maybe they will hear me then. I guess having a vehicle out of service for 6 weeks in the first 6 months of ownership does not warranty a re-purchase.

On top of this "good news" the car is now total cluster. Since basically the whole front end needed to be disassembled (service report of what they did is two pages long) to replace the engine compartment wiring harness now the brakes and steering both operate differently then when I dropped it off and this is in addition to the primary problem not being addressed.

1. The brakes have no feel (very hard) to them re-gen brakes then nosedive braking. No smooth transition from re-gen to standard brakes to complete smooth stop as it was before the vehicle was disassembled.
2.The steering now feels like you are using a video game steering wheel controller auto-centering the wheel (yes I have lane keeping off). Turn the wheel right or left the wheel wants to go back to center.

3. The engine wiring harness is not installed properly with at least three of the harness standoffs not put back into the holders. So the harness is free to move about.

4. Since both the fender liners had to be removed as well, when they were reinstalled the fasteners installed on both sides do not match.

5. Who knows what else as I cannot see hidden areas they might have worked in.

Now that both the brakes and steering are involved they simply get one chance to make it right.

I immediately contacted the local dealer with all these issues. Since the dealer cannot take action without the direction of an FSE I am now in limbo as they determine the next steps. 

I already reached out to BBB and they have opened a case fro me. I will be looking for the best local Lemon law lawyer to come at Ford from this direction as well.

So all I can say is if your car has gremlins no matter how well it is documented you are clearly on your own.

Perhaps a 30 year hiatus from Ford products was still was not long enough.

#48 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

Well folks here is more of the sad story. I now know why the Ford oval is Blue, it is us holding our breath for them to take ownership of and to fix an issue!

After 40 continuous days in the shop I picked up the car on 2/25 and two days latter with just an additional 150 miles driven the Cross Traffic Fault error came on again. Yet another photo to document the event, another call to my local service manager, another call to my assigned Ford CRM and another PM to Ashley.

Lot's of communication happened that I did not list on the forum, giving Ford every opportunity to do the right thing so don't flame me for a rant.

Today Ford called telling me it has denied my claim for re-purchase. Says it does not meet the standards of the Maryland Lemon law as it is not a primary system that is having an issue. It seems it was lost in translation that the car has a safety issue (hesitates/stalls) that is imbedded when the error message the car shows up each time a safety report to the NTSHA is forthcoming maybe they will hear me then. I guess having a vehicle out of service for 6 weeks in the first 6 months of ownership does not warranty a re-purchase.

On top of this "good news" the car is now total cluster. Since basically the whole front end needed to be disassembled (service report of what they did is two pages long) to replace the engine compartment wiring harness now the brakes and steering both operate differently then when I dropped it off and this is in addition to the primary problem not being addressed.

1. The brakes have no feel (very hard) to them re-gen brakes then nosedive braking. No smooth transition from re-gen to standard brakes to complete smooth stop as it was before the vehicle was disassembled.
2.The steering now feels like you are using a video game steering wheel controller auto-centering the wheel (yes I have lane keeping off). Turn the wheel right or left the wheel wants to go back to center.

3. The engine wiring harness is not installed properly with at least three of the harness standoffs not put back into the holders. So the harness is free to move about.

4. Since both the fender liners had to be removed as well, when they were reinstalled the fasteners installed on both sides do not match.

5. Who knows what else as I cannot see hidden areas they might have worked in.

Now that both the brakes and steering are involved they simply get one chance to make it right.

I immediately contacted the local dealer with all these issues. Since the dealer cannot take action without the direction of an FSE I am now in limbo as they determine the next steps. 

I already reached out to BBB and they have opened a case fro me. I will be looking for the best local Lemon law lawyer to come at Ford from this direction as well.

So all I can say is if your car has gremlins no matter how well it is documented you are clearly on your own.

Perhaps a 30 year hiatus from Ford products was still was not long enough.

Very sorry to hear this. I hope that you can get help from the BBB, Ashley or any other source to get Ford to take ownership. The poor way in which your car was put back together is especially concerning. I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#49 OFFLINE   cjn-md

cjn-md

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

Well Allison has bowed out now that I have contacted BBB. Seems to me Ford CRM 's try to manage us not the situation. At least in my case I had no one as an ombudsman protecting my rights no one stepped up not even the dealership AL Packer Ford . No matter how you cut it 47 days in the shop in 6 months this is just not right.

#50 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Well Allison has bowed out now that I have contacted BBB. Seems to me Ford CRM 's try to manage us not the situation. At least in my case I had no one as an ombudsman protecting my rights no one stepped up not even the dealership AL Packer Ford . No matter how you cut it 47 days in the shop in 6 months this is just not right.

Who's Allison?

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#51 OFFLINE   cjn-md

cjn-md

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Sorry meant Ashley here in the forum, Allison is/was the assigned Ford CRM.

#52 OFFLINE   Fastronaut

Fastronaut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

Sometimes, only bright lights can help.  Perhaps it's time you reached out to a TV station with a Consumer Affairs person.  You certainly seem to have a valid complaint.

• hybridbear likes this
250421.png

• Trunk Cargo Net (96B), Heated/Cooled Front Seats (46B), Heated Steering Wheel (52A)
Ordered: 10/28/13 | VIN assigned: 10/31/13 | Window Sticker: 11/13/13 | Actual Build Date: 11/21/13 | In-Transit: 11/23/13 | ETA: 12/14/13 | Arrived at CSX Facility: 12/05/13 | Arrived at Dealer: 12/09/13 | Delivered: 12/11/13

220431.png

• Trunk Cargo Net (96B)
Ordered: 11/06/12 | VIN assigned: 2/28/13 | Window Sticker: 3/28/13 | Actual Build Date: 04/06/13 | In-Transit: 4/17/13 | ETA: 5/07/13 | Arrived at CSX Facility: 4/29/13 | Arrived at Dealer: 5/02/13 | Delivered: 5/03/13 | Tagged: 5/06/13 | Major Failure in for Service: 5/13/13 | Lemon Law Replacement Vehicle Received: 6/17/13

#53 OFFLINE   Former Expedition owner

Former Expedition owner

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 103 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion HyTi

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

Geez...had the Cross Traffic System Fault error appear yesterday on my '13 HyTi with 15k miles.  Took a photo of the dash.

DE5D0A29-FE0F-4A57-914C-11169F89BC9C.jpg

Came here and did a search, found this thread.  After reading cjn-md's problems, I'm a little worried.

Drove back & forth to work today, but the System Fault warning has not reappeared.

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium:  Tuxedo Black, Navigation, Driver Assist, Moonroof

#54 OFFLINE   Fastronaut

Fastronaut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hope you are not heading for an "experience".
250421.png

220431.png

• Trunk Cargo Net (96B)

#55 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

Geez...had the Cross Traffic System Fault error appear yesterday on my '13 HyTi with 15k miles.  Took a photo of the dash.

DE5D0A29-FE0F-4A57-914C-11169F89BC9C.jpg

Came here and did a search, found this thread.  After reading cjn-md's problems, I'm a little worried.

Drove back & forth to work today, but the System Fault warning has not reappeared.

Our car gets these faults periodically as well. It has only happened to us when the car is quite dirty from driving on wet roads. When the car is clean this issue has never happened. I sometimes wonder if perhaps the dirt building up on the sensors is what causes this...

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#56 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

Our car gets these faults periodically as well. It has only happened to us when the car is quite dirty from driving on wet roads. When the car is clean this issue has never happened. I sometimes wonder if perhaps the dirt building up on the sensors is what causes this...

Same here - mine has done this 6-7 times but every time the weather was lots of rain and road spray, or snowy/slushy. 

• Winnipeg Ford Fusion likes this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#57 OFFLINE   Fastronaut

Fastronaut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Same here - mine has done this 6-7 times but every time the weather was lots of rain and road spray, or snowy/slushy. 

I've had it on the front in slushy weather and simply cleaned off the sensors to stop it. Never had it on the sides. Mine has always been with the ACC sensors.

Edited by Fastronaut, 14 April 2014 - 05:22 PM.

250421.png

220431.png

• Trunk Cargo Net (96B)

#58 OFFLINE   cjn-md

cjn-md

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

Good day folks thought I would bring you up to speed.

After getting the car back after the engine compartment wiring harness replacement the problem reoccurred again.
It was then determined that the cabin wiring harness that runs the "mid-level" network communications was the new fault. So out comes the entire interior of the car to replace this wiring harness. At this point not much of this car had not been disassembled and reassembled to try and fix the root cause.
Much to the credit of the service team I could not tell the car was apart once I got it back this time.

About 600 miles later the fault happens again. Back to service and they find yet another code pointing to yet another module that controls the cross traffic and backup monitoring sensors that needs to be replaced. It is back in the shop to have this work done as I type this.

The bright side is that after 10 days of getting BBB involved FORD has agreed to repurchase the car, but this may take up to 90 days to complete. Maybe it was the failure of the 3rd official "REPAIR" attempt that pushed them over the edge, I will never know for sure. No issue for me as a drive 120 miles per day and this mileage is on them now since I have already communicated the repurchase commitment mileage to FORD. The longer it takes the better for me.
So it will be off to find a replacement hybrid and hopefully have a much better experience.

Please be aware that I learned the FORD's Customer Managers stop communicating with you once you get an outside entity involved so do not mention this unless you are truly bringing outside resources to help you as a last resort.

Just to be clear my issue always happened in the clear with no snow, dirt or debris blocking the sensors. If you have a reoccurring issue document it with a photo of the screen to support your case. This is your evidence of the event as the event does not always leave a digital record of the event in the cars computer system. 

• Fastronaut and hybridbear like this

#59 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

Well that is good news in a way. What a PITA they can be, especially having to basically tear the entire car apart and not resolve the issue. The time and materials Ford spent probably cost them more than had they just repurchased the car. Then the car goes off to a SEP lot and someone who could care less about CTA would buy it and Ford would get most of their money back.  Instead they spent at least a few grand in warranty time and materials, so now they are out both. 

So are you going to look for another Fusion, or going to that "other" company? 

Posted Image

#60 OFFLINE   Fastronaut

Fastronaut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

... and we have a WINNER!  Glad it worked out for you cjn-md.  I gladly relinquish sad story spot 1 to you.  Hope you get a new vehicle soon.  Remember that the sales tax reimbursement comes much later for Maryland after you purchase the new vehicle.  Be sure to work with your Dealership to ensure the forms have been processed at the time of the repurchase paperwork.  I had to take a ride to the DMV HQ in Glen Burnie to make it happen.

• hybridbear likes this
250421.png

220431.png

• Trunk Cargo Net (96B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·