Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Tesla

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,517 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

That parking brake has a downside.  If the Tesla loses all power it is impossible to shift out of park or release the parking brake and the car would have to be dragged onto a flat bed with dollys under all four wheels.

• hybridbear likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

I forgot to mention that when you let off the "gas" pedal in the Tesla, it's like applying hard braking.  This takes a bit to get used to.  The only time you really need to apply the brake is below about 5 mph.  Also, the "stick shift" on the Tesla is like our windshield wiper lever.  You move it up for Reverse and down for Drive.  A button on the end is pushed in for Park.  One feature I really liked is that the Parking Brake comes on whenever you put the car in Park, and automatically releases when put into R or D.  Since the FFH has an electric PB, I would think this would be a nice feature for the Fusion to have.  It would be one less step you have to remember to do.

Don't they have three different settings for the regen braking? Sounds like they didn't show you that.
As far as the PB our FFH is only missing half the feature. If the PB is active it automatically releases when you start driving.

Btw I saw a Model S P85 in our town yesterday. It's such a nice looking just slightly over my price range ;)
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#23 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 497 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Ti Hybrid, C-Max Energi, Mustang GT convertible, Triumph TR7 convertible, Toyota Highlander
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

One issue with an automatic parking brake is freezing.  On rainy days with quickly falling temperatures, I have more than once had my parking brake freeze in the "on" position after driving to work, making it impossible to drive until the temperature warms up.  On day's like that, I choose not to set the parking brake. This problem was particularly acute on a Ford Ranger I used to own.

#24 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

I forgot to mention that when you let off the "gas" pedal in the Tesla, it's like applying hard braking.  This takes a bit to get used to.  The only time you really need to apply the brake is below about 5 mph.  Also, the "stick shift" on the Tesla is like our windshield wiper lever.  You move it up for Reverse and down for Drive.  A button on the end is pushed in for Park.  One feature I really liked is that the Parking Brake comes on whenever you put the car in Park, and automatically releases when put into R or D.  Since the FFH has an electric PB, I would think this would be a nice feature for the Fusion to have.  It would be one less step you have to remember to do.

Do the brake lights turn on when you take your foot off the gas then? Some Energi owners drive with their cars in Low gear to get this same feel. The problem I forsee with doing that in the Energi is that the brake lights do no come on when you are slowing down in Low. I have tested this in my parents' Energi and, like the Tesla, you can just take your foot off the gas and only press the brake under about 7 MPH when the regen braking turns off.

My dad drove city bus here in Mpls for a little over 15 years and the city buses aggressively slow down as soon as you take your foot of the gas. Their brake lights also come on anytime you take your foot off the gas to warn anyone behind the bus that it is slowing down.

I wish the FFH had adjustable regen settings like the Tesla so that owners could customize how much braking there is with your foot off the gas pedal.

One issue with an automatic parking brake is freezing.  On rainy days with quickly falling temperatures, I have more than once had my parking brake freeze in the "on" position after driving to work, making it impossible to drive until the temperature warms up.  On day's like that, I choose not to set the parking brake. This problem was particularly acute on a Ford Ranger I used to own.

I've had this happen on cars with hydraulic parking brakes as well. I've always had the parking brake release once I start moving though, usually with a loud pop of the ice shattering. After experiencing this once or twice, I try to not use the parking brake in similar situations.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#25 OFFLINE   B25Nut

B25Nut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 809 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid White Platinum - Dune

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

The FFH could still have the existing control for the Parking Brake so that you could engage it when the car was in neutral or disengage it at any time after it automatically applied by putting the car into Park.

• GrySql and corncobs like this

#26 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

I've had this happen on cars with hydraulic parking brakes as well. I've always had the parking brake release once I start moving though, usually with a loud pop of the ice shattering. After experiencing this once or twice, I try to not use the parking brake in similar situations.

If the rear brakes are drums (as opposed to disc), then a frozen parking brake they will usually break free easily in reverse.

#27 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

Here's an Edmunds article with a recap of their 17 months of experience with a $105k Tesla... there were comments both positive and negative, and then I read the list of issues that they had with the car, and it was quite a list.

http://www.edmunds.c...st/wrap-up.html

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#28 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,517 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

I've read about the Edmunds Tesla.  It had a large number of drivers that were apparently trying to destroy the car.  There is a picture of their car accelerating up a hill with huge clouds of smoke coming from the rear tires.  It's no wonder they wore the tires down to the cords with that kind of abuse. 

http://www.edmunds.c...s-burnouts.html

Compare that list with the huge number of TSBs for the fusion and the hoops you have to jump through to get them applied.  I'm still doing the "work around" to get venting with the A/C compressor turned off. 

At this time my 2013 Energi has two outstanding safety recalls and no parts available to fix it.  It's one of the 850,000 Fusions that have been recalled.

• hybridbear likes this

#29 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

Neat videos of Tesla Autopilot in action. I was talking with some Tesla owners last night at our local Plug-in Vehicle Owners Circle meeting & a few of them had been able to download 7.0 yesterday & test out Autopilot on the way to the meeting. One was downloading it while his car was parked outside & was looking forward to testing it out on the way home.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·