We have a Tesla store at the mall here in Scottsdale and I see them around here, too. They're very cool cars from everything I've seen. Right now they're only competing with super-luxury cars, though, so it doesn't affect many people.

It will be interesting to see what the newer Tesla models (Model X crossover and Model E sedan) are like. They could shake things up for more regular consumers. I expect they will be good car, but the price may still be too high for most. At this stage in its development, the Model S was supposed to be $60,000 before rebates but ended up at $70,000 for the base model. They say the Model E is aiming for $40,000 before rebates but if that goes up to $50,000 it may start to be out of reach for most people again (especially if any of the tax credits disappear).

Edit: Mixed up some details from the Model X with the 3rd generation Tesla (Model E).

Edited by Ted Swing

Yeah, my bad. In any case, I think the big challenge for Tesla is scaling down the price given that their starting point is a super-luxury car.

Its on my short list. When I win the lotto.

The shame is that it really wont save me any $. With our shameful high electric rates.

If you really are interested in buying a Tesla S.

Someone did their homework on the buying process.

http://nickjhowe.com/tesla/modelsguide.html

Edited by vangonebuy

That was brave of him to take it on a road trip down to Panama, between the rough country roads, variable charging arrangements, and the need to constantly bribe border officials. I doubt that I'd be willing to take those chances if it were my car.

It was funny that the border officials couldn't figure out what to put down for the motor/engine number.