Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Programming a new intelligent access key

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 59 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

I just spent 40 minutes trying this on my 2017 -- programming a 3rd key.  Still no mention in the 2017 owner's manual about the "2nd start button press on the last step."

Regardless, it didn't matter in my case.  I don't think the 2nd press is necessary.  Surely they would have corrected the manual by now.

Is it safe to assume that only two remotes will ever be active at once?  

I'll go to the dealer, but I'm sure they won't be able to program a 3rd key.  I think Ford engineers purposely made the sequence so convoluted that few humans could ever do it.   The time frames are ridiculous.  There's absolutely no reason why the software needs such timing.  There's a sequence, do the sequence (without the silly timings), let the software keep track of the sequence, same result whether it takes a user 20 seconds or 1 minute to complete.  And yes put a timeout for the whole process if necessary so the engineers can advertise "real time programming" (not even close) on their resumes.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

Even funnier for 2017, completely different steps on https://owner.ford.c...access-key.html, than in the owner's manual:

• Before you start

There are a few things you should do before starting step 1:

• Read the locks and security information in your owner’s manual.
    • Have two previously programmed Intelligent Access keys inside the vehicle and your unprogrammed Intelligent Access key readily available.
  • Put the new unprogrammed Intelligent Access key in the center console pocket.

• Press the driver or passenger power door unlock control three times.

• Press and release the brake pedal once.

• Press the driver or passenger power door lock control three times.

• Press and release the brake pedal once.

The indicator on the Start/Stop button should begin to flash quickly, indicating that the programming mode has been entered and two programmed Intelligent Access keys have been detected in the vehicle.

• Within one minute, press the Start/Stop button.

A message will be displayed on the message center indicating that the new Intelligent Access key was programmed.

• Remove the Intelligent Access key from the center console pocket and press the unlock control on the newly programmed Intelligent Access keys to exit the programming mode.

• Verify that the new Intelligent Access key’s remote entry functions operate by pressing lock, then unlock, and then starting the vehicle.

Your new Intelligent Access key is ready to use.

#23 OFFLINE   aschulz261

aschulz261

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:HyTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

I was never able to get mine reprogrammed either.  I eventually gave up and took it the dealer and they programmed it with no problem.  I'm wondering the fob I got off ebay had already been programmed to a car at one point and that was the problem.

At this point, I have 3 working fobs, so you can have more than 2 for sure.

I just spent 40 minutes trying this on my 2017 -- programming a 3rd key.  Still no mention in the 2017 owner's manual about the "2nd start button press on the last step."

Regardless, it didn't matter in my case.  I don't think the 2nd press is necessary.  Surely they would have corrected the manual by now.

Is it safe to assume that only two remotes will ever be active at once?  

I'll go to the dealer, but I'm sure they won't be able to program a 3rd key.  I think Ford engineers purposely made the sequence so convoluted that few humans could ever do it.   The time frames are ridiculous.  There's absolutely no reason why the software needs such timing.  There's a sequence, do the sequence (without the silly timings), let the software keep track of the sequence, same result whether it takes a user 20 seconds or 1 minute to complete.  And yes put a timeout for the whole process if necessary so the engineers can advertise "real time programming" (not even close) on their resumes.

#24 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,426 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:45 PM

Programming a fob to a car does not modify the fob.  The serial number of the new fob is stored in the car's key memory.

I have three fobs programmed to my 2013.

#25 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Thanks men.  I got it.  Went out with tablet and Ford owner site procedure listed, didn't work.  Tried it 3 times, no go.

Went back to owner's manual, and maybe I was trying to be too precise with the "5 seconds" by trying to remove at precisely 5 seconds.  So I figured I'd wait at least 7 seconds.  Put the 3rd one in and finally it took.  And yes, the missing 2 successive push start presses are indeed needed at the end.

Once I did all that, with the 3rd fob laying in the slot, the start button was flashing rapidly, and I believe the last step is to press the 3rd remote unlock button.  The start button quit flashing, and in the left hand cluster display it said "programmed successfully" -- something like that.

All 3 now work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·