aschulz261

Programming a new intelligent access key

Did you verify the new fob has a good battery? Sometimes it can be the simplest things.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I recently got a new unprogrammed intelligent access fob to use as a spare. Looking in the owners manual and reading the instructions there, I just can't seem to get it to program the new key. ...

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

It sounds like you're doing everything right, aschulz261. If these guys can't troubleshoot you through it, your dealer is going to be the best bet. If you're still looking for help after that, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll have someone give you a call.

Ashley

Did you have the doors closed before and during the whole procedure? It's mentioned before the instruction steps.

Interesting, were they keys you received wiped first? I tried to add the spare key from my wrecked Flex to my MKT and it didn't work. I followed the same steps above too. The dealer was able to get it added by using their computer to wipe the key while in the slot first. From what I read it has to be an "unprogrammed" key.

There is no storage that can be changed in an OEM IA key. The IA key has a unique serial number. Programming a key to a car is simply storing the unique serial number in the car's key memory.

The locksmiths that can clone a key have special blanks that can have their serial number changed. They copy the serial number of a working key to the clone key.

It should be possible to program the same key into two cars.

The logistics of actually using that key could be tricky.

Remote start two cars at the same time.

After endless attempts to program a third key I had to have my dealer do it.

The only way to unprogram a key is to have the dealer wipe the key memory in the car and then program in the keys that you want.

This whole procedure was so much easier in my 2010 Hybrid. The spare key programmed the first time I tried it.

Umm I don't know if you have one with Remote start, but they are two way keys now. The LED turns green when the car starts, or red if it didn't respond. The key doesn't get "programmed", but is tagged with the cars ID so it can receive the remote start signal. The Fob for the Flex though doesn't have that feature, but is still tagged to match the car.

Dan is right. You have to hit the start button twice at the end. Note that when you hit the button the second time, nothing will happen for a few seconds, then the doors will lock and the lights will flash. If you mess up, the information bar on the left will say key programming error. Thanks.