DarthHobbit

Can I lock the keys in the car with the car turned on?

It is oftentimes around 20 degrees when I leave the office, so I would like to turn the car on and leave it running with the keys inside while it warms up (I have the key code access on the driver side door so I'm not worried about being locked out). But no matter what I do I cannot get the doors to stay locked when the car is running and in park. Am I missing something or is this a "safety" feature? Any way to get around it if it is a safety feature?

Yep. From the Owners Guide: "Press and hold 7·8 and 9·0 at the same time (with the driver’s door closed). You do not need to enter the keypad code first." When you are ready to go, just enter your entry code to unlock the door. At least this method works on my MKZ. :)

Have you tried locking the doors with the door lock switch on the door? I have never tried to lock the doors with the car running to test out these ideas.

After testing locking via the door lock switch, my Z honks at me and unlocks the doors as soon as I close the drivers door. How rude! ;)

A few weeks ago I was trying to figure this out myself. I was doing a 5k and I wanted to leave my keys etc in the car. But every time I tried to lock the door the car yelled at me cause the keys were inside. What is the point of having a keypad on the door to unlock the door if I'm always stuck with the keys....

The touch pad locks sometimes dont work well on the Fusion. ran into this a few times, have to touch them just right. So it is possible you were trying and ran into this problem, however, any of the Fords will allow you to lock the keys in using the touchpad to lock and unlock, even while running.

Fords will allow you to lock the keys in using the touchpad to lock and unlock, even while running.

That is what my original response was... and I just verified it with a friends 2013 FFH SE. :) So, go out unto the world and lock your keys in your FFH and MKZ!

I figured out the issue with the 7/8 9/0 pads and why I have problems locking the car with them. You have to wait for the lights to go off on the pad, then touch them both, then the car locks. You also have to touch and hold then a few seconds. So used to the pad with real buttons I expect the locks to happen right away.