hybridbear

TSB 14-0020 - DTC P1A18, P1A19, P0AEE, P0BCD When Using Engine Block Heater

Interesting, wonder what causes it. The block heater shouldn't be tied into the system in any way that I can think of. Maybe it throws codes based on seeing temps out of normal in certain areas.

The service engine soon light came on for me after using the engine block heater today. I drove 7 miles to my destination. The light did not come back on when I turned on the car back on.

You can find the description of these DTCs (if you can decipher their meaning) at:

https://qa2k3.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM1303_HEV.pdf

P1A18 - Variable Voltage Controller Inductor Temperature Sensor Circuit
P1A19 - Variable Voltage Controller Driver Temperature Sensor Circuit
P0AEE- Drive Motor Inverter Temperature Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance
P0BCD - Generator Inverter Temperature Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance
According to the link above, P1A18 results from:
Inductor temperature differs from ECT > 30 deg C after a 180 min engine off soak time
And P1A19 results from:
Power Electronics temperature differs from ECT > 30 deg C after 180 min engine off soak time.
I assume ECT is Engine Coolant Temperature? So the engine block heater warms up the engine coolant to greater than 30 deg C more than the generator and electric motor controller/inverter temperatures causes these DTCs?
Edited by larryh

I was able to read the DTCs from my car. There were 3 of them: P0BCD, P1A18, P1A19.

I'm not exactly sure why it is intermittent. I don't get the service engine soon light unless the EBH is plugged in for at least three hours. So I assume that the engine block heater is not warming up the coolant enough to exceed the threshold every time. I have only used the EBH when it is below zero outside. Note that the car must be off for at least three hours before the fault can occur (as described in the document above). Also, the EBH probably warms up the Inverters and controllers since they are near the engine block, but not always enough to inhibit the fault condition.

The following are the coolant temperatures that I observed when it was is -2 F (-19 C) last week. I plugged in the EBH four hours before my GO time. The car was outside. The service engine soon light came on. The EBH warmed up the coolant 48 C above the outside temperature.

elapsed time temperature degrees Celcius

0:45 14

1:30 22

2:15 26

3:00 29 -- preconditioning started

3:30 31

4:00 30

Preconditioning began 1 hour before the GO Time, or 3 hours after I plugged in the EBH. The car was plugged into the 120 V charger. As usual, preconditioning is useless using the 120 V charger. It just blows cold air even after the EBH heated the coolant to 29 C or 84 F. Preconditioning didn't even warm the coolant temperature above the 30 C reached by the EBH.

I should measure what temperature preconditioning brings the coolant temperature up to using the 240 V charger. That does not cause the service engine soon light to come on.

Edited by larryh

I updated my post above with some more information since your latest post. You're too quick for me. Mine has come on most of the time I plugged it in for 3 hours.

Edited by larryh

We've discovered on my parents' Energi that preconditioning only warms the coolant in the heater core loop, not the coolant that flows through the ICE. Thus the EBH and 240V preconditioning are both helpful in the winter.

You can see my observations regarding the EBH vs. the heating element for the heater core at:

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1446-cold-weather-observations/?p=10534

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1614-engine-block-heater-anyone-out-there-have-one/

Edited by larryh

It usually takes three on/off cycles for the service engine soon light to turn off. Preconditioning the car this morning with the 240 V charger, the coolant temperature reached 38 C, higher than when I used the EBH. When determining the diagnostics, it must determine that the car has no longer been off for three hours once preconditioning starts. Otherwise, that might cause the service engine soon light to come on.

Edited by larryh

How did you read the DTCs? It doesn't appear that my car shows them in ET Mode.

You need a scanner to read them. I used this scanner to connect to the OBD II connector:

http://www.amazon.com/Elm327-Wirless-Diagnostic-Reader-Scanner/dp/B00AOIM2CC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389621725&sr=8-2&keywords=elm327

http://www.amazon.com/Version-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner/dp/B008UR7J6I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1389621725&sr=8-4&keywords=elm327

The used the following Torque software to read the scanner:

http://torque-bhp.com/

Since I don't have an Android phone, I used BlueStacks on my notebook to emulate the Android operating system to run the Torque software:

http://www.bluestacks.com/

Edited by larryh

HB, use your scan gauge to read the codes, thats what it was designed for. :)

Will it show a code for the yellow wrench? I know it'll show codes for the CEL...I guess I've gotten so involved in all the other data from the ScanGauge that I forget that it can read codes too lol

It should show any code that the PCM generates.

When I plugged the EBH in this morning, it was 19 F. After 3 hours, the engine coolant temperature rose from -7 C to 38 C. The generator inverter temperature rose to 6 C, and the motor inverter temperature rose to 7 C. So the difference between the inverter and engine coolant temperatures was about 32 C. The service engine soon light did not come on. Most likely because I turned on the car before plugging in the EBH. I think the car has to be off for at least three hours before plugging in the EBH for the light to come on.

I was experimenting with preconditioning the car this morning, so the inverter temperatures were above the ambient temperature from the heating element for climate control used to precondition the car. They were both at about 1 C when I plugged in the EBH. I didn't get readings prior to preconditioning. I had the formulas incorrect for the inverter temperatures--the value returned by the OBD II system is a signed number, I had it as unsigned. So It showed up as a very large number. This means the actual temperature was below 32 F. They were probably -7 C. So both preconditioning and using the EBH appear to warm up the inverters. They must be warmed from heat radiating from the engine block.

Edited by larryh