hybridbear

MY2015 Fusion Production Dates & Order Guide

The difference in handling between 17 and 18 is subtle, but noticeable when you push the car to extremes. There is a slight bit more roll with 17's when you take sharp corners at higher speeds due to the taller sidewall flex. It isn't as noticeable in the 13+ Fusion due to its tight suspension but in the older cars, very noticeable, the Sport had 18" wheels, and the FFH had 17", and the Sport had a tighter suspension, so the difference is like night and day. Both had a very close overall diameter in tire size, but the handling was quite apparent. Putting the Sport wheels and tires on the FFH would make handling much better, though not nearly as good. That was THE one thing I missed the most about the Sport, the handling. Now the 13 FFH handles just as well if not better.

If I had a choice, I'd pick the 17 inch, higher profile tire because it will give you a little extra protection for the rim when driving over potholes and railway tracks. Another thing to look at is how the tire protects the side of the rim, when parking close to the curb. I'd pick the tire with the most sidewall bulge in it, to protect the rim.

I think we are getting way of topic :) has anyone seen samples of the new colors?

I was searching for those new colors and found Magnetic and Guard on the 2015 Ford Mustang web page here:

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/2015/?searchid=79341629||31396903571&ef_id=U27obwAAAaZaabaJ:20140519023211:s

of course looking at colors online may not be a very accurate representation.

If I had a choice, I'd pick the 17 inch, higher profile tire because it will give you a little extra protection for the rim when driving over potholes and railway tracks. Another thing to look at is how the tire protects the side of the rim, when parking close to the curb. I'd pick the tire with the most sidewall bulge in it, to protect the rim.

Some of the Goodyear tires have a ridge on the sidewall that extends well past the rim and does a pretty good job of protecting the rim. The RSA comes to mind on this one.

You haven't trained her well then :) Imagine what she would be doing in a 2010-12 that doesnt have the bolsters in the seats or the flat cornering of the 13. I have about 5K more miles left on my tires before they will need to be replaced.

So 18s which can corner slightly faster don't add value for us.

I'm with HB here. After thinking about this for a moment I started smiling and then it turned into laughing. If we were talking about a Mustang or a Corvette I could understand the significance of a discussion about the cornering and handling merits of 17" tires as compared to 18" tires. But come on guys - we are talking about a hybrid! Certainly a very nice hybrid but it is still a hybrid which is not a sports car.

I'm probably going to catch grief for this post, but how often in your hybrid driving experiences would the handling differences between these two tires ever amount to a hill of beans?

On a side note, HB, this has bothered me for a long time. Bears are negative and Bulls are positive. I think you should be a "hybridbull".

Edited by Texasota

I personally believe the better-gripping 18" tires can help me in some ways to get higher MPGs, since I can maintain more of my speed through the corners, and then I don't have to re-accelerate as much after the corner which seems to be the major contributor to lower MPGs for me.

I personally believe the better-gripping 18" tires can help me in some ways to get higher MPGs, since I can maintain more of my speed through the corners, and then I don't have to re-accelerate as much after the corner which seems to be the major contributor to lower MPGs for me.

This is probably why my tires are worn more in the front than most peoples. I push it hard through turns. Today I had to do a fast evasive maneuver to avoid getting hit by a left turner. Car handled great. My 2010 would have been all over the place with the 17's.

Looks like the Ford website has been updated now for the 2015 Fusions. You can now build the 2015 Fusion of your choice from here:

http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/features/

My apologies if this has already been posted. Note that you can now view the new 2015 colors.

Edited by Texasota

I notice that the 15's have configurable DRLs standard on the HSE. I can't help but wonder if that might signal some policy change that might make it easier for those of us with 13-14's to get ours activated? Any thoughts?

Looking at this new 2015 order guide, Ford no longer offers the manual transmission option for any Fusion, so also no 1.6L EB engine option at all.

And the other significant change is the gas Fusion S can now come in Deep Impact Blue.