hybridbear

MY2015 Fusion Production Dates & Order Guide

You don't get to personally choose the EPA rules. The window sticker labels are based on the take-rates of optional content. If too many people buy the 18in tires, it will force Ford to lower the 47mpg rating on all Fusions, even the ones that still come with 17in tires.

Sure that part I understand and agree with. Like I said before as long there is still the option to upgrade I have no problem with the standard being downgraded. It's still funny to think that this is the reason for this change.

OK I didn't look but from your post it seemed like that the 18" aren't even an option if they do 17" standard that's fine as long 18" are still an option.

They arent an option on the HyTi, which is where HB headed. I definitely would have ordered it with 17" given the choice.

The Cluster update is also a good change, but they eliminated Dark Side and Sunset, both awesome looking colors.

Ok, there seems to be some confusion so here it goes:

MY2013 & MY2014 FFHs

SE - standard 17 inch wheels, optional 18 inch wheels

Ti - standard 18 inch wheels (different spoke pattern from SE optional 18 inch wheels)

17 inch wheels - Michelin tires

18 inch wheels - Goodyear tires

Summary - 3 different rims & 2 different tire options

MY2015 FFHs

SE - standard 17 inch wheels, optional 17 inch wheels with different spoke pattern

Ti - standard 17 inch wheels with different spoke pattern, same wheels available on the SE as an option

Summary - only 2 different rims and all cars will have the same tire

When I posted this I wasn't realizing that Texasota hadn't posted the whole PDF Order Guide so that everyone could see it. I was thinking that everyone could download it from the Forum and read it like I did lol I have used up my storage here & can't attach it here, but I'll try to post it on BOF and post a link here.

You don't get to personally choose the EPA rules. The window sticker labels are based on the take-rates of optional content. If too many people buy the 18in tires, it will force Ford to lower the 47mpg rating on all Fusions, even the ones that still come with 17in tires.

I'd guess that you're correct about this. It seems that a lot of ppl have chosen the 18 inch rims on the FFH SE and that Ford has sold more HyTis than they anticipated. The initailly expected the Ti to be 5% of all FFHs IIRC from the 2013 Order Guide. Since the EPA rules require testing of the most common wheel/tire combo, Ford was getting close to having to test the FFH with the 18 inch wheels & Goodyear tires which would lower the EPA rating.

Larryh & I are planning to do some experiments to test rolling resistance & try to ascertain how much of an impact the larger tires have on gas mileage. The anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that it's about a 3-5% hit on the highway and a higher impact in the city.

Larryh & I are planning to do some experiments to test rolling resistance & try to ascertain how much of an impact the larger tires have on gas mileage. The anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that it's about a 3-5% hit on the highway and a higher impact in the city.

If you are willing, don't forget to test the tires at a couple PSI settings.

For example use the setting on the door as per the manufacturer and another pressure, I carry 42 PSI in my Eagle LS2's.

When I posted this I wasn't realizing that Texasota hadn't posted the whole PDF Order Guide so that everyone could see it. I was thinking that everyone could download it from the Forum and read it like I did lol I have used up my storage here & can't attach it here, but I'll try to post it on BOF and post a link here.

I've attached the 2015 Hybrid Marketing Guide here: 2015 Fusion Hybrid Marketing Guide.pdf

Edited by Texasota

I'm curious what the physical cause of lower mpg with larger diameter wheels is. Don't larger diameter wheels cover bumps easier? I would have assumed that would lead to better mpg, not worse, once the wheel is rolling. I do see how they probably weigh a bit more and have a larger moment of inertia, so starting and stopping could be more expensive. But they're also more inefficient on the highway, where you're basically going a constant speed? Is that really due to the radius or some other difference?

EDIT: Also, one thing my dealer told me and I never double checked was that the passenger side was a 10 way power seat. He made sure to point that out! Guess the 15's finally actually get it :-X

Edited by ChrisAshton84

I've attached the 2015 Hybrid Ordering Guide here: attachicon.gif2015 Fusion Hybrid Order Guide.pdf

I did not previously know how to attach files but figured it out.

That's not the real order guide, that's just some of the marketing guides that are sent to dealers. Note they reference the official order guide, which hasn't been published yet. I would expect when the real order guide comes out, you will see optional 18in wheels.

I'm curious what the physical cause of lower mpg with larger diameter wheels is. Don't larger diameter wheels cover bumps easier? I would have assumed that would lead to better mpg, not worse, once the wheel is rolling. I do see how they probably weigh a bit more and have a larger moment of inertia, so starting and stopping could be more expensive. But they're also more inefficient on the highway, where you're basically going a constant speed? Is that really due to the radius or some other difference?

The tire design, construction and compound has more to do with fuel economy than the weight effects of a larger wheel. Because of the way the EPA rules are set up, Ford can choose one tire to optimize for fuel economy (the 17in) and another to optimize for steering/handling (the 18in). You certainly could create an 18in tire that gets just as good fuel economy as the 17in, that's just not what Ford chose to do.

Edited by Waldo

To add to what Waldo said. The wheel weight does play into it a bit, rolling mass, that few extra pounds of the 18" wheel has to be overcome by the ICE/EV, so it does take a little more energy out of the system, so a 1-2 MPG overall affect could be seen. Mainly though its the tire itself that makes or breaks FE. Michelin doesnt have a tire for the 18" wheel (at least not the last time I looked) in the same design as what they have on the 17" wheel. They do make other LRR in the 18" size, but they are twice the cost of the 17" model.

To add to what Waldo said. The wheel weight does play into it a bit, rolling mass, that few extra pounds of the 18" wheel has to be overcome by the ICE/EV, so it does take a little more energy out of the system, so a 1-2 MPG overall affect could be seen.

But most, if not all, of that rolling inertia can be recaptured by the regen system.

But most, if not all, of that rolling inertia can be recaptured by the regen system.

This is not correct. You need to read what Larryh has posted about regen efficiency. In some scenarios the regen efficiency is only around 50%.

That's not the real order guide, that's just some of the marketing guides that are sent to dealers. Note they reference the official order guide, which hasn't been published yet. I would expect when the real order guide comes out, you will see optional 18in wheels.

I've updated my above posts to give the attachment an appropriate name. Thanks for pointing that out because it clears up some confusion I had where my local dealer told me the ordering guide was not yet available.

This is not correct. You need to read what Larryh has posted about regen efficiency. In some scenarios the regen efficiency is only around 50%.

True, some days regen is aggressive, other times weak. Sometimes the system can't recover the energy fast enough due to limits on the HVB, either having a near full charge, or temperature out of range, so service brakes get applied. One of the things to note about larger wheels, the mass of the wheel is further out from center so more centrifugal(sp?) force.

I used to be a mechanic and part of the job was mounting and balancing tires. The larger the wheel/tire the longer it took to spin up and slow down on the balancer. The 30 size mud tires were the worse, they needed manual intervention to get started.

Waldo was right, according the the 2015 Fusion Order Guide 18" wheels are still optionally available on the FFHs. Corncobs, you can sleep soundly again.

Waldo was right, according the the 2015 Fusion Order Guide 18" wheels are still optionally available on the FFHs. Corncobs, you can sleep soundly again.

:) thanks for being concerned about my sleep but I'm not sure if that is correct. I didn't see optional 18" wheels under the Hybrid section but I could have easily missed it. ;)

:) thanks for being concerned about my sleep but I'm not sure if that is correct. I didn't see optional 18" wheels under the Hybrid section but I could have easily missed it. ;)

I agree, looks like I was wrong, I don't see optional 18in wheels on any of the Hybrid packages. I do like the new 17in wheel though.

I agree, looks like I was wrong, I don't see optional 18in wheels on any of the Hybrid packages. I do like the new 17in wheel though.

Which are only available with the appearance package or terracotta option.

No options for the luxury package as far as I can see and that would be a disappointment.

Edited by corncobs

I think you are right. I was looking at page 16 and made the wrong assumption when I saw 18" wheels on SE appearance package but that appears to be for the gas models only. Sorry, Corncobs.

Maybe Lunesta is an option for you? ;)

Edited by Texasota

As long Ford realizes their mistake before MY2017 and beyond I will remain very happy with my current FFH.

Nice 18" wheels and still great gas mileage nothing more I need. :)

Edited by corncobs

I don't see the big deal with having larger rims. It's not like they only have one option, there's still an upgraded wheel available, it's just now also 17 inches. Why are 18 inch rims considered superior?

Edited by hybridbear

I don't see the big deal with having larger rims. It's not like they only have one option, there's still an upgraded wheel available, it's just now also 18 17 inches. Why are 18 inch rims considered superior?

I think you meant 17" as I edited above?

It is my understanding the overall diameter of the tires with 18" wheels is almost identical to the 17" wheels because the 17s have a taller profile tire. Is that correct? Is this a matter of personal taste (and that is fine) or is there technical reasons why a larger wheel and lower profile tire is superior?

Texasota you are correct!

The tire makes the difference. The 18" version has less sidewall height and is also wider which should provide more grip (less MPG).

Overall it's not that much in this case but larger wheels improve handling, cornering, braking and looks which is like you said personal taste.

The Fusion is such a good looking car it just makes it look even better. Just like a good looking woman on high heels to enhance all proportions ;)

I think we are getting way of topic :) has anyone seen samples of the new colors?

Edited by corncobs