B25Nut

Toyota Avalon Hybrid

Now I on the other hand, LIKED the Avalon Hybrid! If I could have afforded it I would be driving it now.

Has anyone else noticed the lower grill looks just like the Fusions?

Noticed also the lack of comparing to the Fusion. They bash the Toyota Hybrid drive train and say the VW Jetta is better, yet Jetta isnt even in the playing field yet. What those bozos need to learn is a Hybrid is not a sports car, never will be, and you better learn how to drive one to appreciate one!

However when it all boils down, I still like my HyTi over all the others and so glad I decided to gamble on it, it paid off.

Maybe because the Fusion is in a class all its own? I just did some online comparisons, feature to feature, and even the Avalon lacks some of the features that the Fusion comes with.

None of them have Lane Keeping, some have lane departure, but not lane keeping that steers you back in the lane.

Only the Avalon has auto high beams, a feature normally found on higher end cars.

Toyota now has its version of BLIS and CTA.

Honda uses cameras, but only if you use your turn signal, or manually turn on the camera, where the Ford system lights up a mirror any time someone is in your blind spot, so you know at a glance well before you even decide to make a move.

Some have Adaptive Cruise, like the Accord and Avalon, Avalon has collision alert and avoidance.

Rain sensing wipers are starting to become main stream now, but not that I see on the Accord.

While I get your point, there is this:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085012_audi-e-tron-quattro-diesel-hybrid-race-car-wins-le-mans-24-hours-race

And this:

http://www.dailytech.com/Porsche+918+Spyder+Plugin+Hybrid+Sports+Car+Gets+Official+with+Full+Specs/article33350.htm

Which would indicate that there will in fact be hybrid sports cars quite soon. They just won't be driven like we drive our hybrid mid-size sedans. Which I understand was your point.

Yep. Ours is the closest you can get to a good handling car in the Hybrids.

I saw a new Tri-white Avalon today, what a boat - it's a bit larger than our FFH's. We were in a parking lot and as it passed before my beady eyes the Rorschach Inkblot Test first thought was - "gaudy". As I kept my eye on it the definition of gaudy filled in: ostentatiously ornamented; garish.

The same co-worker who bought my old Prius (and still has it) also just bought a new Avalon Hybrid -- yes it looks a tad bigger, I think it's a decent looking car but really didn't care for the front grill as it looked like they couldn't decide on which type of opening to have... so they used both. Looks awkward to me.

I looked over the Avalon Hybrid at the New York Auto Show. The same day I tried to buy a Fusion Hybrid. While on price and style I preffered the Fusion. The interior comfort of the Avalon was the best of the entire show. Maybe too comfortable.

Everything in regards to posture, cushions and control heights was perfect for me.

I looked over the Avalon Hybrid at the New York Auto Show. The same day I tried to buy a Fusion Hybrid. While on price and style I preffered the Fusion. The interior comfort of the Avalon was the best of the entire show. Maybe too comfortable.

Everything in regards to posture, cushions and control heights was perfect for me.

This is what I liked about the Avalon, Exterior wise, meh, but I dont see the outside when driving unless I am behind mirror(like that happens). The interior is what held my attention, I really liked it.

I saw a new Tri-white Avalon today, what a boat - it's a bit larger than our FFH's.

We were in a parking lot and as it passed before my beady eyes the Rorschach Inkblot Test first thought was - "gaudy".

As I kept my eye on it the definition of gaudy filled in: ostentatiously ornamented; garish.

It looked like the Toyota 'Pimp my Ride' Team got carried away.

Well, now I am glad I did not get one! Last thing I would want people to think of me as being a Pimp. I do not look good with a feather in my hat! (Just looked, no Pimp Emoticon here, too bad, the one I was looking for would fit perfect here!)pimp.gif

My coworker bought an Avalon Hybrid after grilling me for months about my FFH. It is a VERY nice car and the only true competitor to the FFH (excluding maybe the new Accord) IMO. It is a bigger car in the interior, rides as nice if not nicer and the ICE is MUCH quieter. The switch over from EV to ICE is just as smooth AND they let the driver choose (within reason) to use EV over the ICE, something I wish Ford did. He got 39 MPG on his first highway trip @70+ mph, which is as good if not better than the FFH. I haven't talked to him about his other mileage, but he isn't bragging about it either. Of course it is winter weather.

It's a bigger more luxurious car that gets close to the same mileage without the driving needing to try. But I'm still glad I went with the HyTi. Ford's backup camera is better and has much better technology. Say what you will about MFT, but frankly I found Toyota's infotainment system to feel outdated and outclassed.

I have a 2004 Avalon. It has been an upscale car for some time even though it's essentially a slightly longer Camry. The hybrid must have the same system as the Camry which in the real world has always been within a few mpg of the FFH. They are old folks cheap limos ( me ).

I have a 2004 Avalon. It has been an upscale car for some time even though it's essentially a slightly longer Camry. The hybrid must have the same system as the Camry which in the real world has always been within a few mpg of the FFH. They are old folks cheap limos ( me ).

The other reason I didn't jump on the Avalon when I could have. I would need a Fedora to drive it.

I bought my 2004 3.0 L. Avalon in 2005 after the revamped 3.5 L. 2005's were introduced. I didn't realize that the 3.5 had been used on the Lexus for sveral years. The 3.5 actually had better EPA mileage and was a nicer car. They were always nice but the 2005's onward were really luxury cars. Soft ride, silence and rear seat leg room was exceptional.

I am seeing a lot of these trapezoidal grilles lately, and it seems like everyone is rushing to copy the Fusion. I agree with the way the front looks. It seems like you have the standard Toyota grille and then this thing below it that they just stuck on because it was trendy. I don't like it at all.

Oh and to add to the other comments about the Avalon being an old person's car -- this same guy said he found that the average age of Avalon drivers is 68, so I guess the perception noted in the above posts is correct.

I guess I have a few years to wait then! :) As far as CR ratings, they lost me years ago, I never agreed with their car ratings. The Prius, yeah right, if you like cheap ugly plastic and cheap cloth seats, go for it. I never had a car that could get the dash scratched up by finger nails. I was cleaning the passenger side dash and my fingernail got over the cloth and scratched the plastic, it left a mark.

There are still a lot of people that have the mindset that Toyota has top-notch quality (though I know the image has been tarnished a bit in recent years), however my co-worker just came in to say he had to run out today to drop his Avalon Hybrid at the dealer for the second recall in his couple months of ownership.

After owning two Toyota's, other than the Avalon, I wouldnt want another one. Now that I have a good functioning Fusion Hybrid, I wouldn't want an Avalon either. Other than forgetting to press the seat position 1 after my wife drives it, and finding I cant get in the car, it has been the best car I have owned in 30 years. My 1992 Crown Vic was the best up until now, it now holds 3rd place behind my 2013 Flex. Funny how out of all the cars I have owned, the top 5 are all Fords. Fusion, Flex, Crown Vic, Fusion, F350. I do miss driving that big MF truck, but dont miss the maintenance or fuel costs!