carloscurti

Cannot enter data into Navigation while moving

For safety reasons, the system by default does not allow you to enter information on the screen while moving. Is there any way to change this setting?

Thanks,

Carlos Curti

2013 FFH Bourdeaux Red

No. Many items are disabled when driving on the screen for safety reasons. You can still enter addresses with voice commands while driving.

You can still enter addresses with voice commands while driving.

In theory, and according to the manual .. :read: :thumbsup: :hysterical:

Edited by rjent

In theory, and according to the manual .. :read: :thumbsup: :hysterical:

This sounds like the practice looks different.

This sounds like the practice looks different.

I've done it once. From 265 miles away the command "Destination Home", after I was underway, activated navigation correctly.

I used it once, only because the nav did not have a number pad for the street name. I noticed now that it does, so must have been the A3 nav.

I frequently use voice commands while using navigation....works every time for me.

Would you care to make a video of doing that? I think you could help a bunch of folks who are struggling with this? :) (including me)

If you have the address then use:

"Navigation, Destination Street Address" and the sync wench will walk you through questions to enter the destination. It's pretty straightforward.

If I remember, it's something like "Please state the street address including city name in the state of <default state>".

So you can say "One. Three. One. Three. Mockingbird Lane. Philadelphia."

If you are traveling out of state you need to say "Navigation, change state"

I do recommend stating EACH number of the address instead of one number (i.e. "One. Three. One. Three. Mockingbird Lane" instead of "Thirteen. Thirteen. Mockingbird Lane") as I've had better luck.

If you don't have the address you can try:

"Navigation, Destination P-O-I"

She'll then walk you through, but it's a bit more complicated and I've only had about 50% success rate with this. If it's a unique name like "Console Energy Center", it seems to work pretty well, but things like hotels are more difficult to get right. I never know whether to say "Double Tree Hotel and Resort" or just "Double Tree".

Would you care to make a video of doing that? I think you could help a bunch of folks who are struggling with this? :) (including me)

Video? Read the manual and use the voice commands exactly. It works. There is even a "cheat sheet" included.

The trouble starts when people insert words in the commands that don't belong. Within the first week of owning the car I realized that was my problem. Other than that make sure you have the newest 3.6 update.

Edited by hermans

I frequently use voice commands while using navigation....works every time for me.

+1

This is the best answer.

The trouble starts when people insert words in the commands that don't belong. Within the first week of owning the car I realized that was my problem.

This is the key! The voice command computer can't process speech like the human brain to interpret extraneous words. It is programmed to listen for certain words only and cannot handle other words. The first step is learning the commands. Once you learn the specific wording it needs then they work great, it rarely misunderstands me. Mostly the misunderstandings are relating to how the computer reads of names of contacts versus how the names are actually pronounced.

I use the voice to change destinations or add waypoints all the time. The big issue for me was the sync wench could not understand the words "post office". I found it was me. Once I slowed my speech down she got it with no issues

Hi everyone,

This link should be helpful if you're getting used to using voice commands for navigation on your MyFord Touch system: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/navigation-by-voice-sync-myford-touch

You'll notice that the screen in the video looks slightly different than your touchscreen displays probably do. The video shows a different software version, but the voice commands still work the same. :)

Kim

I hope this is a good place to ask this. I found a post somewhere that a destination can be entered into Navigation from the phone book. I had been looking for that for 11 months. So I dashed out to my care to try it. You go to Phone, Phone book, Options, set as Destination. When I do so it says the address is incorrect, please update your phone book. I cannot figure out what is wrong with the addresses - I have tried several. This would be useful. Interestingly, if I use the Android app, Sync Destinations, the same address will transfer to Navigation.

I hope this is a good place to ask this. I found a post somewhere that a destination can be entered into Navigation from the phone book. I had been looking for that for 11 months. So I dashed out to my care to try it. You go to Phone, Phone book, Options, set as Destination. When I do so it says the address is incorrect, please update your phone book. I cannot figure out what is wrong with the addresses - I have tried several. This would be useful. Interestingly, if I use the Android app, Sync Destinations, the same address will transfer to Navigation.

Hi jmellen,

Some phones will allow you to access destinations from the phonebook, however, there are many that do not. One thing I can suggest is checking the address listed in the phonebook. If you notice a section for a country, try removing it. You'll need to re-download the phonebook to your MyFord Touch system once this has been changed. Let me know the outcome!

Kim

Just a quick suggestion...

If you have an Android phone, I HIGHLY recommend you downloading "send to car". It's a free and open source app (it just adds a share option to google maps).

Any address/POI/destination can easily be shared by car within Google Maps/Navigation. It uses SYNC services.

The only downside to this is, after your 3 free years of SYNC services are over... you have to pay for the SYNC services. Without SYNC services, I don't believe this "send to car" feature works. Bummer.

Edited by Double-Tap

Just a quick suggestion...

If you have an Android phone, I HIGHLY recommend you downloading "send to car". It's a free and open source app (it just adds a share option to google maps).

Any address/POI/destination can easily be shared by car within Google Maps/Navigation. It uses SYNC services.

The only downside to this is, after your 3 free years of SYNC services are over... you have to pay for the SYNC services. Without SYNC services, I don't believe this "send to car" feature works. Bummer.

Hi Double-Tap,

SYNC Services does offer an option called SEND TO SYNC, which is actually done through MapQuest. Here is a good explanation of how it works: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/send-to-sync

Kim

Hi Double-Tap,

SYNC Services does offer an option called SEND TO SYNC, which is actually done through MapQuest. Here is a good explanation of how it works: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/send-to-sync

Kim

Hi Kim! Thanks for the info! It's actually a pretty easy and fast way to send directions to the car when using a computer.

The "send to car" app, actually utilizes MapQuest's servers to push the information from an Android phone to SYNC services.

I do have three question though:

1. This "SEND TO SYNC" is part of SYNC services? That does mean, after 3 years, we have to pay for this directions from MapQuest to our car...correct?

2. Speaking of Navigation, do you know the approximate cost of upgrading the maps for the 13-14 Fusions?

3. The upgrade process of the mapping software, is as simple as swapping out the old SD card for the new one...correct?

Thanks!

Kim, how do you add waypoints "on the fly". When on a long trip, I like to put city centers as waypoints then cancel them as we get close to force it to the next way point. With your destination at 600 miles or so when you start, you get to see your total trip ETA etc. You can do it manually, how do you do it by voice.

I am trying to get this. It is getting better, but there are still many "unsolveable" flaws yet.

Thanks in advance! :)

Kim, how do you add waypoints "on the fly". When on a long trip, I like to put city centers as waypoints then cancel them as we get close to force it to the next way point. With your destination at 600 miles or so when you start, you get to see your total trip ETA etc. You can do it manually, how do you do it by voice.

I am trying to get this. It is getting better, but there are still many "unsolveable" flaws yet.

Thanks in advance! :)

This is another feature I use a lot, especially on long trips, while looking for a rest stop or quick food break.

You add waypoints on the fly by using the "navigation destination" commands (Or maybe there is a "set waypoint"? I'll verify on my way to work this morning). Either way, once you "find" the location using voice commands it will say "Press the voice button and say 'set as destination' or 'set as waypoint'". If you specify 'set as waypoint', you are FORCED to press the recalculate route button on the touch screen. It appears that the voice commands aren't allowed to calculate the route if there are multiple stops on the trip.

I think canceling is simply "Cancel waypoint"

Quick tip. You can use commands like:

Driver: "Locate McDonalds"

Sync: "Search Where?"

Driver: "Along Route" (or "Nearby")

There's actually some really great voice commands and I don't remember all of them, but there's no harm in literally asking the car.

OK, that makes sense because that is the way the computer responds when you do it manually. However, the recalc issue could be bothersome. This system does "recalculate" in some very strange ways at times. If we are in an part of the country we do not know, then the recalculate of the route could send us where we don't want to go. (ask me how I know). I will try that. I have another long trip coming up in March. I will experiment. One thing I do like about the nav system is that it does let you highlight a point on the map, and then navigate based on that point, of course you have to be stopped to do that :(

I really do wish Ford would rethink the nanny state approach to this whole thing and let the "navigator" in the right seat .... navigate.......it would eliminate sooooo much frustration.

This is another feature I use a lot, especially on long trips, while looking for a rest stop or quick food break.

You add waypoints on the fly by using the "navigation destination" commands (Or maybe there is a "set waypoint"? I'll verify on my way to work this morning). Either way, once you "find" the location using voice commands it will say "Press the voice button and say 'set as destination' or 'set as waypoint'". If you specify 'set as waypoint', you are FORCED to press the recalculate route button on the touch screen. It appears that the voice commands aren't allowed to calculate the route if there are multiple stops on the trip.

I think canceling is simply "Cancel waypoint"

Quick tip. You can use commands like:

Driver: "Locate McDonalds"

Sync: "Search Where?"

Driver: "Along Route" (or "Nearby")

There's actually some really great voice commands and I don't remember all of them, but there's no harm in literally asking the car.

Edited by rjent

So I played around a bit on the way to work this morning.

"Set waypoint" was NOT recognized, but the destination commands worked great

Also "Find McDonalds" was not recognized either, it kept thinking I said "Find Tapas". I'm not sure if POI names are recognized from that level, but it seemed to recognize categories very well (i.e. "Find Bank" worked great).

Also "Cancel waypoint" works, and cancels the CURRENT waypoint. If you have multiple waypoints set, all the others are kept.

On a separate note, my biggest issue over the route recalculation is that it doesn't always update the turn list. I will have my navigator go in and avoid a specific route, but the turn list does not always update the names of the new turns until that turn becomes active. In other words, if I tell it to Avoid I-76 which is 3 turns away, it will recalculate the route accordingly, but the 4th turn might still say "Take exit 226 off of I-76" until it becomes the active turn.