Craig

MPG "tanking" in the cold weather - others?

One thing that probably helps on really cold days is to recycle cabin air so that the heat system doesn't have to bring super cold air up to temp to heat the cabin. I tried recycling air today and it did seem to help both cabin heating up and keeping the engine warm as the heat system wasn't drawing off so much heat.

One thing that probably helps on really cold days is to recycle cabin air so that the heat system doesn't have to bring super cold air up to temp to heat the cabin. I tried recycling air today and it did seem to help both cabin heating up and keeping the engine warm as the heat system wasn't drawing off so much heat.

The only drawback of that is moisture builds up and when you have a long trip like mine, the glass starts to frost, but it does help with heating.

Funny, the Flex feels sluggish in this cold air. Either that or I have just gotten used to the power.

Intercoolers working too well? Boost melts frozen vapor, intercooler refreezes, intercooler gets minor ice blockage?

Is that even possible?

No, that is something I would notice right away, called stumble, fall flat on your face, hit the steering wheel with your nose. The F150 is prone to water collecting in the Intercooler and doing just that when you step on it. I think I am just used to it now after having to drive it every day for the past week and a half. All I know is I filled it 3 times this week already, ready to get back into my HyTi. I love the Flex, but man the gas is killing me!

The only drawback of that is moisture builds up and when you have a long trip like mine, the glass starts to frost, but it does help with heating.

Well on long trips, every now and then recycling air would have to be turned off for a bit to flush out the cabin air.

It's interesting that the car is programmed to automatically do this in the summer to save energy, but not in the winter...

This is probably because in the winter condensation on windows is a bigger issue than in the summer. As pointed out above, we periodically have to turn off the recycling of air to clear out humid air.

This is probably because in the winter condensation on windows is a bigger issue than in the summer. As pointed out above, we periodically have to turn off the recycling of air to clear out humid air.

With the Fusion having a higher instance of fogging up than most other cars, this is exceptionally true! The only other car I have owned that was this bad was a tiny compact somethingorother(I owned so many cars I lost track). I think part of the reason is that the ICE doesn't produce as much heat as the non hybrid does.