Craig

MPG "tanking" in the cold weather - others?

Blocking the top grille will help, Ken. Even if the temp isn't below 0 the amount of time the FFH spends in EV mode has a big impact on temps. Watch the coolant gauge on MyView like Paul recommends. You'll see how in winter the temp gauge never makes it to the middle (>180F) when you have the heat on in winter. A cold ICE sucks down more fuel.

I did add the temp gauge to MyView and it is amazing how long it actually takes for my FFH to get to any type of temp that is useful for generating heat in the cabin. I'll be buying one of those grille covers after Christmas. Fortunately, between working from home and time off, I don't have to commute to my office until Jan 2nd. This means my weekly fuel consumption will be way down this next week or so.

That's nice to work from home. Try the foam for grille blocking first. If you're consistently below freezing you can block all of the top grille and perhaps half of the bottom to start.

Whatever I do, I don't want there to be any risk of it becoming litter along the side of they highway.

In the old days when I lived in Alaska, we'd just slip cardboard in front of the radiator for the winter. It at least made it possible to get enough heat into the cabin.

Make sure you put a placard on the instrument panel that says "GRILL COVER ON" or something like that so you don't forget it if the weather ever gets warmer again. ( 82º in FL today ).

Edited by lolder

My FIL saw my grill cover and wondered what it was for, when he found out now he wants me to make one for his Cmax. Is the Cmax grill taller and narrower than the Fusions?

I'll say it again. There are two more radiators there for which you don't have a display of the temperature. Be careful.

I highly doubt that the inverter would ever got too hot in the winter, even with all EV driving. It takes a lot of electron flow to generate heat, and with the cooling system added in, it will take quite a bit of juice to get it hot enough to be damaged, IE a dead short.

Thanks for the info on the Cmax Grill, I can take the one I have on the bench and use it as a template then for his. Going to get the lexan for this and make me a new tighter one for my Fusion too now that I know it is a definite improvement.

BTW, had my car in the other day to fix the wiper pivot and not one mention of the grill cover. Besides, Semis have been using them for decades! I dont know if anyone has noticed, but the Prius has a tiny grill, about 1/8th the grill opening of the Fusion, and they never have cooling problems. There is also more open grill area on the 13 than the 10-12, which is probably why I never considered one for it. Then again, that one was rarely used in city driving, so never had to worry about going 60 MPH with the ICE off.

This is why I left the lower grill alone and didn't make a replacement for what I sent you, I decided that covering the main grill should be more than adequate, and so far it has been with temps down to -11. I will be taking it off and adding foam behind it and remount it though for a better seal. With the lower grill being so small with the ACC panel blocking half of it, not really worth the time and effort. It is only about 24 square inches of opening.

Well I've finally done it.

I just got finished installing the grill cover I bought from Paul. Our wicked cold sub-zero temps as of late convinced me I really needed a grill cover.

No photos yet because the car is in the garage and it is now dark out. Overall, the install went well and I like the bolt attachment Paul came up with. It is way better than using zip ties. The Velcro blocks at the ends seems like a good idea as well. I just have to see how well they stick to things.

Working in Maine's cold temps and limited light in my garage made the install slow going. First I had to clean the grill of all the dirt and grime. It has been a good three weeks since we've had decent enough weather to go to a car wash without ending up with a rolling Popsicle. One thing that Paul didn't mention on his instructions, that is a good idea, especially when it is cold, is to take a hair drier to any adhesive (e.g. Velcro and two sided tape) as well as any spot the adhesive is being adhered to so that it sticks properly. Making everything good and hot helps makes adhesive stick better.

An addition I made was to take five 1" thick XPS foam insulation and cut it into blocks that I wedged between the grill slats to hold the grill cover off the grill so that the grill doesn't get scratched. Because the foam was pink, I wrapped it in electrical tape to make it black. I threaded the bold Paul provided through one of the foam blocks and then spaced the other four blocks out to the outer most vertical slats that hold the grill in place.

The only issue I had was the grill cover was about 1/3" too long so it overshot the grill area and wanted to rub against the paint job. I simply used the summer grill Paul provided as a template and cut the winter grill down to size.

I don't commute to work until Tuesday, but I'll report back how much it improved things.

When its sub zero like it has been for 7 days here, I dont even bother looking anymore. Even my Flex is taking a huge hit, down to 17 MPG during this cold spell. -18 this morning.

The grill cover has helped to stabilize cabin temps and at highway speeds my coolant temp no longer bounces up and down as the ICE kicks in and out. At low speeds where I can be in EV mode for longer periods the car is still having problems keeping the engine up to temp which means limited cabin heat. I really wish the FFH had an electric heater as the Energi does. When starting off in lower speed city driving, the FFH just can't get the ICE up to a temp sufficient to heat the cabin in near zero temps.

I also wish there was a little more insulation in the floorboards near the firewall where feet tend to rest. Those spots of the floor can get wicked cold when driving. Once I get the cabin up to some semblance of non fridge temp I turn all the air to the feet to warm them up.

I've found pockets of cold air in the cabin too. There are a few spots on my legs that get very cold even with the heat on.

Of course with this arctic blast we've been taking, I suspect a lot of normal ICE cars are also having a hard time heating the cabin as well. My wife says her Elantra isn't heating up so well. Maybe we're just spoiled and expect too much from our FFHs. ;)

The Fusion warms up a LOT faster than the Flex does when using remote start. Both cars can be started the same time, but the Fusion is pushing warm heat out the vents while the Flex is still blowing cold. My mom is in the hospital so one of us has to stay late to put the kids on the bus, my mom usually does it, so we are taking two cars every day this week. I am seeing a big impact in consumption from the constant sub zero temps, best I can get is around 17 in the Flex, while the Fusion is around 38(taking my wife's word I haven't looked).

I can see it on the instant gauge, it is much more difficult to get it to, let alone above, the 20 mark while cruising. It also takes a long time to warm the cabin up(it is huge though inside).

Has anyone noticed when you make a quick turn that you get a cold breeze in the car? There are pockets of cold air in the car, probably from the windows. I also have cold feet in the Fusion, and wind up switching the defrost on and off as we drive. If I turn up the blower then the ICE runs more, so its a compromise of temp vs MPG.