Craig

MPG "tanking" in the cold weather - others?

Sure is... I'm experiencing the same issue. It has to do with the ICE starting to create heat to warm the system. It is killing my MPGs... Are you running your heater immediately after you start the FFH?

Craig,

I'm trying to find the gauge to monitor the ICE coolant temp. Can you give me any help here?

I've found the heat system can really drop my MPG. One way I deal with this is to leave the heat system off for the first five minutes or so. I'll also turn it back off about five minutes from my destination. This helps a little. I also resist using the seat heater unless it is wicked cold out.

My biggest MPG hit is when it is raining hard or the roads are really slushy. Pure snow/ice isn't too bad because traffic slows down so much that the lower speeds make up for my loss in MPG due to the cold.

This morning it was 1*, and I noticed the car slows down a LOT faster when its this cold. Really strange how that happens, even with 80% charge, so must be the fluids or the tires doing it. Where I would normally be on the brakes slowing down, didn't have to touch them and the car was slowing quicker than when I had to use the brakes. I think this factors in more than the cabin heater since the ICE and EV have to overcome this friction or whatever the heck it is. To add to this I also notice about a 4-6 MPG difference on the same roads when on ICE with 80%+ charge. Normally its at or above 40 MPG on this one stretch, but with the really cold temps below 20, it is more around 37 MPG.

Do grill covers help, YES!!!!! With it being so cold out, the ICE does heat up quicker and provide more cabin heat, without them the ICE would stay cool and run more often. This morning was the first time ICE kicked on when I was nearly at my office and not because of low SOC, even in EV+ it kicked on, only to provide cabin heat.

Hey HB, if you have a place to plug in a block heater, why didn't you get an Energi?

We were in single digits today. Going to work I was able to get about 42mpg, but coming home I was less than 40mpg. In part I was a little less tolerant of cold this afternoon and use the HVAC and seat heater more. I was also driving a little faster on the trip home. Another factor may have been that my car sits in a garage that never goes below freezing so the car started a little warmer than in the afternoon where it had cooled down to the teens by the time I started it to drive home.

Supposedly we're supposed to get hit by a nor'easter this weekend. Thank goodness I have Monday off.

I am so done with winter and we haven't even reached the winter solstice.

After living for eight years in Alaska and 13 years in Maine, I can boil my winter survival skills down to two words: "stay indoors!"

Edited by MaineFusion

I agree, when its this cold, screw MPG, Crank up the heat for my feet! Whats funny is the past few days I have not been driving economically yet still managing to do pretty good. Still managing to hit between my expected 38-43 mark. This one is doing what I had hoped for, getting better then my 2010 in the cold and snow. Who would have thought 10 year ago that a 5 passenger family sedan could even GET 40 MPG, let alone 47! At best they got 25.

You should really try covering up your grill, you don't have to freeze. :)

BTW what happened to Fuelly numbers? :shift:

Paul

I'm not too keen to use something like a grill cover unless it is staying below zero for a long period of time.

As far a my Fuelly numbers go, ya dropping out of the 50mpg club kinda sucks.

I understand what all of you are saying about the ICE, but I think that part of the decrease in mileage has to do with the inherent inefficiency of batteries in cold temperatures. Batteries discharge faster, recharge slower, and store less energy when cold. Also Winter blend gas compounds the problem like it does with all gasoline engines.

This is a given fact, but if you were to do a comparison between grill cover on and off in the cold, it becomes quite apparent the benefit of the cover. It can make as much as a 60* temp difference, or more. There was one time after an hour driving in 5* weather that the coolant was as low as 128*. A hotter engine burns fuel more efficiently, and extended EV modes drop that core temp quickly so the ICE must run more often just to bring the temps up, even if you have a full SOC on the pack. When the ICE is off, coolant isnt flowing, and that cold air entering the grill cools off the coolant in the radiator, so when the ICE kicks back on it sucks in cold coolant until the thermostat closes, then has to make up that lost heat by richening the fuel. It's a viscous cycle since its one of the only ones that will shut off the ICE at high speeds, older Hybrids like the 10-12 FFH were always on at highway speeds, and didnt really need a grill cover, at least mine didnt, had I covered the grill it might have done better in the winter than it did, but I was content with the MPG it was getting.

Edited by acdii