dalesky

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid now being driven

You’ll notice that we didn’t talk about the new Accord hybrid’s transmission because, technically, it doesn’t have one.

Technically it "does" have a transmission, dork, doesnt realize that in order to transmit power from a store or generator it needs some form of "transmitting" the power. Journalists, hummph. Also noticed they compare it to the Camry as its arch rival, which is still an outdated platform. No mention of the Fusion, which is superior to the Camry in many ways.

There seems to be a concerted effort by some gear-head car magazines to describe the Toyota-Ford eCVT transmissions as "intricate". Nothing could be further from the truth. The eCVT is a very clever elegant design the basis of which is the planetary gear which has been around from the first vehicles and is a very simple, durable arrangement that is still at the heart of most automatic transmissions which have several of them each. The Honda system is certainly a "transmission" and the electric clutch which must engage at precisely the right time is certainly more "intricate" than our eCVTs. They also keep talking about the "rubber band" effect of the ICE. They're still wedded to direct gear drive antiquity. The computer is calling for the engine to produce the power you've asked for. The rpm just doesn't vary if you don't move you foot. The electronic control system of eCVTs is intricate but mostly bulletproof with nothing to wear out.

Edited by lolder

So true. The CVT's only drawback is how much power you can put through it before it grenades. It is a very efficient means of getting engine power to the wheels, and is used on quite a few other vehicles,like Snowmobiles, and go carts. The Ford Freestyle used one, and I did test drive one, It was smooth, and unnerving all at the same time since it was the first CVT(prior to me getting a Prius) that I drove, and I was expecting the engine RPM to drop as it shifted(it doesnt), and I look down and I am doing 45 in a 35 without realizing it. I do believe that is why most people are afraid of them, shifts are embedded in their brains. Now when I drive my Flex, I'm like, why is it revving so high?

You can design a planetary gear eCVT for any amount of power with well known methods. The Ford eCVTs are actually much bigger than Toyota's even allowing for the different weights and powers. The Ford systems seem to have been designed from the beginning for all EV higher speed plug-ins. The motors were big and powerfull even from the 2004 Escape. To get the higher EV speeds necessary with a plug-in, Toyota added a second planetary gear in the MG1-sun gear path to shift the MG1 speed lower when they went to 86 mph top EV speed. I don't think Ford had to do that. Toyota's are lighter and they get better mileage-different design target. Ford really got burned trying to take on the Prius V mpg with the C-Max. I wonder if they'll ever get serious and try to challenge the Prius mpg with a ground up hybrid design.