GrySql

Prime steak and Tesla

We're on an emergency 2,000 mile round trip to Oregon but thought I'd share an unusual sight.

Approximately half way between Silicon Valley and Los Angeles on I-5 there are few gasoline fueling stops and an electric car would not have the range to make the 500 mile trip. At the C-198 off ramp lies the giant Harris Ranch Beef feedlot with 10's of thousands of cows waiting to be made into steaks.

Harris Ranch wisely built a very large motor hotel, Olympic sized pool, bar and 3 restaurants, than serve dry rubbed Prime steaks and has some real nice bathrooms. You can smell the cows (and the money) in the air.

It's a must stop on that long desolate drive.

Tesla thought so too, so after some negotiations the Harris Ranch parking lot has a Tesla electric charging station.

While you are having your prime rib-eye steak french dipped sandwich for lunch your Tesla is having a fill-up too.

That is a smart company.

photo1_zps563c36c3.jpg

photo2_zps63656bd9.jpg

photo3_zps6585a83a.jpg

Edited by GrySql

I kinda like what Tesla is doing. I do hope they get their fire problem sorted. I've done that drive before as well, but did it overnight so I didn't get to see much or enjoy it (other than the fact that driving overnight helps to avoid the Lion's share of traffic).

Not sure why I need to make an handstand to view the picture but it's a very cool story. ;-)

Hopefully more station like this will pop up and range anxiety will no longer prevent electric cars from going mainstream.

Not sure why I need to make an handstand to view the picture but it's a very cool story. ;-)

Hopefully more station like this will pop up and range anxiety will no longer prevent electric cars from going mainstream.

?? My computers show the pictures right side up, the one Supercharger picture is sorta vertical, but that is the way it's stuck in the ground.

Tesla has other charging stations:

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

--

Yesterday morning's trip north featured 200 miles of non-stop 20-40mph head winds, then up and over the Siskiyou/Shasta mountain range which put a real dip on my overall mpgs. Ugh..

Edited by GrySql

No pictures of prime rib?

Ate it.... essen.gif

Not only do they have the foregoing facilities they also sell their beef from a meat store in the gift shop.

You select what you want in the case, they bring out trays of freshly cut pieces for you to choose from, then they wrap, vacuum seal and place it in a special dry ice package for your travel convienence. The travel packs are good for 2 days.

They have a cut just for you Texan's too:

steaks02.jpg

Here is what the pictures look like for me

That's because you are half way around the world from me... :)

Yes - but can I charge my Energi there??? :)

I would stay a few feet away when you plug it in...;-)

That's because you are half way around the world from me... :)

That would be true if I would be in Australia ;-)

Just to return to topic. I actually saw a Tesla test driver car in Munich the other day and this poor BMW really had no glue what he was up against on the Autobahn with no speed limit.

The Model S continues to have a large power drain when parked:

"Since the Model S was introduced in 2012, this "vampire" power drain from the cars sold so far has consumed roughly 15 gigawatt-hours of electric energy, nearly a day's output for a mid-size nuclear power plant. It's enough wasted energy to drive the cars 50 million miles."

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1088648_life-with-tesla-model-s-even-after-update-vampire-draw-remains

That kind of takes away from the amount of 'good' you are doing by driving an electric car.

That amount of waste and its ramifications are huge.

Follow the money...

Nothing a physical disconnect switch wouldn't cure. Even our run of the mill Fusions have one of those.

OK I went to the Tesla site and priced out a car like I want it, $85k after rebates... I was all ready to order until I read the above about the power drain thing, but now you've steered me away from it.

Well, that and the fact that I bent over and $85k didn't fall out.

It appears that the majority of the drain on some of the Teslas may be caused by bad 12v batteries. The HVB has been forced to constantly charge them.

It appears that the majority of the drain on some of the Teslas may be caused by bad 12v batteries. The HVB has been forced to constantly charge them.

Gee, did they use Ford batteries?

Come on now, 15 Gigawatts, to charge 12v batteries? How can that be, even with Ford batteries?

JT

I think I set a record today, spotted 2 Teslas, 2 red and 1 black -- first one was on I-95 this morning as we were jammed up. There was an '85' emblem on the right side on the rear which I think is the extended range package. Pretty nice looking!

Tesla_20140512_zpsf4366efc.jpg

I got caught in traffic in metro Vancouver in January and saw at least 5 Tesla's in a 4 block stretch of the main road heading out of Stanley park. First time I spotted on in the wild, and suddenly I was in a pack of them.

I got caught in traffic in metro Vancouver in January and saw at least 5 Tesla's in a 4 block stretch of the main road heading out of Stanley park. First time I spotted on in the wild, and suddenly I was in a pack of them.

When we were in Vancouver last summer we saw quite a few around the city.

Isn't Stanley Park a beautiful place to go? My wife & I took the city bus to get there and the city bus was electric too!