acdii

I "REALLY" hate cold weather, What to expect in MPG.

Its the cold air it ingests that also has some impact on fuel economy. Denser air requires denser fuel charge.

Your average for the round trip was NOT 45 MPG, it was only 40 MPG.

If the trip was 20 miles one way (distance does not matter, the result will be the same) you used 2/3 gallon (20 miles / 30 MPG) to get to lunch. On the way back you used 1/3 gallon (20 miles / 60 MPG). Your total fuel consumption was therefore 1 gallon. So your MPG for the trip was 40 (40 miles / 1 gallon).

Thanks for correcting my math. I know it sounded too good to be true.

My job is 9 miles away from home. In my mostly city driving trip to work, I've been getting mid 30s to low 40s. I was getting mid 40s to low 50s in the summer. It's a little frustrating because I don't feel like I'm doing any less EV driving. I hope it won't get much worse. I got 422 miles out of my last tank. I can be content with that. I was getting 225 miles out of my 2010 Honda Civic during the winter.

I still dont trust a K&N to keep the intake clean, especially on a TC engine. When I had a 97 Exploder V8 I put one of those in, and 6 months later when doing a maintenance I found the intake coated with a fine dust after the filter. Needless to say that filter went in the trash. Any slight improvement from one is not worth the risk of a dusted turbo or worse a damaged engine. I have used AEM filters though and would recommend that over a K&N any day, had one in my 99 F350 Powerjoke and never had a dirty intake over 130K miles of use.

And now back to the topic, Today 13*, snow on the roads, stupid drivers, and me not caring if I get good MPG or not, still managed to get 40.7 MPG this morning to work.

What you can expect when driving more than 10 miles in this car, on hilly rural highways, and some suburban city traffic, right where I expected it to be last year when I bought the first 13 FFH, between 38 and 43 MPG this time of year. Of course YMMV, and I know there are still a few out there who are stuck with a brother of the Blue Devil, and I feel for you, been there done that, have the financial scars to prove it. Was it worth the loss trading it in for another, just for a few extra MPG? Some may not think so, but stopping the anger and frustration factor to me was well worth it. I know it will never get 47 MPG going from my house to the nearest town which is less than 10 miles, but I do know that under the right conditions it exceeds 47 MPG, been there and done that many times.

My car seems to be settling in around 35 MPG (according to the computer) in the cold snap we are currently having. I have yet to fill up for the first time to do a manual calculation, so it will be interesting how far off it is.

A K&N doesnt really filter anything until it gets dirty, up until that point anything that can get past that filter gets sucked into the engine. take a magnifying glass and look through the new Ford and the new K&N with a light behind them, every where you can clearly see light, dirt will get through there, and the fine dust that gets through is the worst kind of dirt for an engine. This is why you NEVER should use one on a turbo charged engine, it will eat the turbine blades. If you dont believe this, jsut gogle dusted turbos, and you will find plenty of instances of this happening.

If you do use a K&N, dump a bag of dirt from a vacuum on it, shake it out then put it in. Then you will be protected. I am not blowing dirt out my butt on this, I saw it first hand in my 97 Explorer.

Edited by acdii

I'm in Indiana.... we haven't had 0 degree weather..... but now having a hard time getting 30MPG on this current tank and might not make the 300 mile club on this one........ or much better.... Check my Fuelly for Geremy13 and see what you think.

Only thing I can figure is after the oil change in late October everything went to crap....... of course the weather went under 50 as well,, but this kind of mileage on a brand new car is starting to get to me... real bad.

If you check my Fuelly you can see that I know how to get in the 40+, but now even under the most conservative driving I can't get much over 30......

Bummed!....

Need someone to help me,,, give me some direction on what to do next. Haven't bought a new car in 10 years and now these payments are not justifying the decision that I made when my other car can do 30MPG...

Just Bummed!,,,,

Like the Topic said.... blowing off some steam.