acdii

I "REALLY" hate cold weather, What to expect in MPG.

Sounding board. Its that time of year again when owners complain about poor gas mileage. Noticing the drop off already, last tank was just under 39 MPG. Not complaining, its the drive home thats killing it, our morning commutes have all been above 40, going home traffic is horrible.

However, so far it has been consistent, so not expecting it to go any lower unless we get a long stretch of below 0 days.

So, got a beef, want to know if what you see is correct, or just want to blow off steam, Here's your sign.

Edited title to show my current displeasure with our lovely weather.

Edited by acdii

I'm noticing the drop too. Hoping to keep the average for the entire winter above 40 MPG this year with all the knowledge I've gained about how the car works.

Should be easier for you due to the difference in our trips. Still seeing really good numbers when I drive on 45 MPH roads, its the hills by me and the lousy traffic between my office and woodstock that kill my return trip, Always did.

My average mileage went down about 5 MPG since weather got colder. :(

Listen, all you folks in Minnesnowta and environs North- if the worst you get is an upper 30s average just think of what many other regular sedan drivers are getting now. And, you still have a great driving car, right?

Just trying to do my bit to cheer you up.

If it helps, we did have one night last week where we had a little frost early in the morning.

:-)

Snowbirds eh? The only downside of getting less than 40 is having to fill up sooner cause of the small tank.

Temps around Boston have been around freezing and I've definitely noticed a lowered MPG. I was ~43.1 and now I'm ~39.9. Where's that grill cover?

My average mileage went down about 5 MPG since weather got colder. :(

Temps around Boston have been around freezing and I've definitely noticed a lowered MPG. I was ~43.1 and now I'm ~39.9. Where's that grill cover?

I should have Grill Covers ready the first of next week. I'm working on simple instillation that works good. So far It looks like about 2mpg improvement and big improvement in ICE temperature, You can start using your heater. YA! :)

Paul

Should be easier for you due to the difference in our trips. Still seeing really good numbers when I drive on 45 MPH roads, its the hills by me and the lousy traffic between my office and woodstock that kill my return trip, Always did.

But we also have mostly short trips. Since I've started logging all my trip data for my ScanGauge thread to try to gain more understanding of the car I have come to realize just how short most of our trips are. So far, since I've started tracking, I have 128 trips for a total miles of 679.4 which is an average of 5.3 miles per trip. 22 of the 128 trips (17%) have been 10 miles or more in length. Many of our trips are 5-7 miles in length. Those trips don't see very good MPG in the winter with the extended warm up time compared to summer.

Listen, all you folks in Minnesnowta and environs North- if the worst you get is an upper 30s average just think of what many other regular sedan drivers are getting now. And, you still have a great driving car, right?

Just trying to do my bit to cheer you up.

If it helps, we did have one night last week where we had a little frost early in the morning.

:-)

That's true. Since our FFH is at the dealer again we're driving a Ford Edge that they gave us as a loaner. Even trying hard to get good gas mileage I could barely crack 20.2 MPG. Right now it's closer to 15 MPG in the week we've been driving it. That's THREE TIMES as much gas as the FFH would burn.

So this morning when I left for work it was 19 degrees out. I auto started my car and it was running for a good 5 mins before I got it. Both my wife and I had our heated seats on (level 2) and the heat at 73. On a 23 mile commute (not hypermilling) the car said I got 41 mpg. I think that is pretty decent for the cold weather and all we had running.

You did a bit better than I did, only managed a little over 39 this morning. It was 23* and snowing, both of which dont help. :)

Still better than 32! LOL

Oh, the cold and winter blend fuel has hurt my Flex too, I can barely hit 19 in it now. :( That makes me a sad puppy too.. Oh well, screw good MPG in it, just have FUN instead! :) Make up for it with the Fusion.

Edited by acdii

I was only able to do 34 mpg on my comute this morning I had the heater on for half the trip where normally going to work I can pull between 41-44 its Cold in Chicago about 26 degrees, I have a question the best mpg on the hwy Ive been able to get is 38 mpg and that is with eco cruise at 70 mph over a seven hour trip from Chicago to Youngstown Ohio, what am I doing wrong I figure I would be mid 40s.

I was only able to do 34 mpg on my comute this morning I had the heater on for half the trip where normally going to work I can pull between 41-44 its Cold in Chicago about 26 degrees, I have a question the best mpg on the hwy Ive been able to get is 38 mpg and that is with eco cruise at 70 mph over a seven hour trip from Chicago to Youngstown Ohio, what am I doing wrong I figure I would be mid 40s.

What you're doing "wrong" is driving 70. 38 mpg is about right for 70 mph. If you want to see mid 40's, you'd need to slow to under 60 mph. At least that seems to be the consensus for most of the cars.

My highway mileage hasn't really dropped any because of the cold. That makes sense to me because of the amount the ice runs at 65+ anyway isn't much different. The annoying thing is that I now need to alter my routes again. Some routes I used to get 50+ mpg by driving an extra mile or so on back roads, I now get about the same as highway on those roads because of weather.

A longer warmup in the garage seems to help my mpg. I used to start it about 1 minute before walking out. The past few days that it's been in the 20's I've started it about 5 minutes ahead of time and achieved slightly better mileage driving to work (36-39 compared to 32-35). That is assuming that the idle time is included in the trip mileage report as long as the car isn't turned off.

The tires are stiffer, the oil and grease are thicker, the air is much denser, the winds are higher, the cabin needs heating in cold winter weather. There's no escape. There's nothing wrong with the cars or your driving. The EPA tests are done at 60-70 F.

Edited by lolder

Sounding board. Its that time of year again when owners complain about poor gas mileage. Noticing the drop off already, last tank was just under 39 MPG. Not complaining, its the drive home thats killing it, our morning commutes have all been above 40, going home traffic is horrible.

However, so far it has been consistent, so not expecting it to go any lower unless we get a long stretch of below 0 days.

So, got a beef, want to know if what you see is correct, or just want to blow off steam, Here's your sign.

Exellent Topic!..... and one that I will follow.

Purchased the car in July.... and learned NOT to use the AC and could get 40+ driving 20 miles or more. Problem is I drive 3 miles to work and most every other place I go.....

Now the Winter has set in.... and I noticed once the temp dropped below 50 degrees that MPG lifetime is dropping quickly. I baby this like a grandma and have learned how to keep it in electric for as long as possible,,,, car has never been over 55MPH... and always on ECO cruise when doing so.

Now I'm having hard time reaching 35MPG on a tank of gas. I don't use heated seats but the wife does. Climate is usually set to 73deg... to make if bearable to drive. Have been letting the car warm up for 5-10min in the morning as lately it has been in the 30's.... Am contemplating NOT using the heater but then I will just drive my other car. It gets 20MPG no matter what and keeps me toasty all of the time.

BUT,,, like someone else said, it is not the FUSION,,, and I have to admit.. I do like the car. But don't like the MPG.... And I do want to be comfortable driving my little 3-5mile drives in comfort.

So,,, here is my info... hard to achieve 35MPG now that the temp is below 50 degrees with the heater on. Also, I should add that I have not had the PCM update yet. Suppose this is something to do soon.

Exellent Topic!..... and one that I will follow.

Purchased the car in July.... and learned NOT to use the AC and could get 40+ driving 20 miles or more. Problem is I drive 3 miles to work and most every other place I go.....

Now the Winter has set in.... and I noticed once the temp dropped below 50 degrees that MPG lifetime is dropping quickly. I baby this like a grandma and have learned how to keep it in electric for as long as possible,,,, car has never been over 55MPH... and always on ECO cruise when doing so.

Now I'm having hard time reaching 35MPG on a tank of gas. I don't use heated seats but the wife does. Climate is usually set to 73deg... to make if bearable to drive. Have been letting the car warm up for 5-10min in the morning as lately it has been in the 30's.... Am contemplating NOT using the heater but then I will just drive my other car. It gets 20MPG no matter what and keeps me toasty all of the time.

BUT,,, like someone else said, it is not the FUSION,,, and I have to admit.. I do like the car. But don't like the MPG.... And I do want to be comfortable driving my little 3-5mile drives in comfort.

So,,, here is my info... hard to achieve 35MPG now that the temp is below 50 degrees with the heater on. Also, I should add that I have not had the PCM update yet. Suppose this is something to do soon.

You're better off using heated seats more and HVAC less. With the HVAC on the car will run the ICE to keep the coolant temp above 65oC. This is very hard to do in cold weather city driving. After the PCM update the car will allow the coolant temp to drop to 55oC with HVAC on. Prior to the update the ICE will not shut off until the coolant temp reaches 50oC, after the update the ICE will turn off when stopped once the coolant reaches 40oC.

Get the PCM update done. It will help on your short trips. I drive 1.3 miles to work (on the rare days that I drive to work) and my worst MPG has been about 38. Mostly I see trip summaries of 45+ MPG even with temps in the teens outside. I don't turn on the HVAC but just use the heated seat.

Check out this thread for more winter driving tips.

The tires are stiffer, the oil and grease are thicker, the air is much denser, the winds are higher, the cabin needs heating in cold winter weather. There's no escape. There's nothing wrong with the cars or your driving. The EPA tests are done at 60-70 F.

Don't tell me that the mileage ratings aren't real world! Oh the humanity!!

At least the seat heater is helpful. I miss the steering wheel heater on my previous car, which was amazing.

I reset my lifetime average in May when I started getting better gas mileage. Until about a month ago it was 48.9 MPG. It is now dropping like a rock and is down to 47.4 (most trips are in the mid 30's MPG).

When I was getting excellent mileage during the summer, after being quite disappointed all winter, I had no idea if it was mostly due to the car break-in period, the software update, learning how to drive a hybrid, or the warmer temperature. Well I'm now convinced temperature is a way bigger factor than any of the other variables.

I left sunny S. Florida and am visiting in E Texas. It's 38 F., rainy and windy. My 2010 is getting less than 30 mpg. I put the HVAC in "Auto" and it heats and defogs and defrosts automatically and is a luxury car in this weather.

Also, I should add that I have not had the PCM update yet. Suppose this is something to do soon.

You would have saved a significant amount of money (and frustration) getting that done three months ago. It also allows you to get great mileage at over 65 mph.

I'm still learning my car, but so far have been very pleased with the numbers I've been seeing considering it's a brand new engine and the temperatures have been at or below freezing. The numbers are obviously worst when the car is warming up, but after that is behind me I have no problem getting 40+ MPG. Today on the way to lunch I only recorded 30 MPG since the car was warming up for half the trip, but on the way back from getting carry out I got 60 MPG! That averages out to 45 MPG, or exactly what the car is rated at. I can't wait for winter to pass so I can see what the car is truly capable of.

I'm still learning my car, but so far have been very pleased with the numbers I've been seeing considering it's a brand new engine and the temperatures have been at or below freezing. The numbers are obviously worst when the car is warming up, but after that is behind me I have no problem getting 40+ MPG. Today on the way to lunch I only recorded 30 MPG since the car was warming up for half the trip, but on the way back from getting carry out I got 60 MPG! That averages out to 45 MPG, or exactly what the car is rated at. I can't wait for winter to pass so I can see what the car is truly capable of.

If you're seeing a 45 MPG average in the winter I would guess that you'll see 55 MPG in the summer like we did. We averaged around 40 MPG last winter and just shy of 53 MPG for the summer including the hottest months with lots of AC use.

After the PCM update the car will allow the coolant temp to drop to 55oC with HVAC on.

Correction to the above quoted post:

Last night I was driving with the HVAC set to 65oF and an outside temp of about 15oF. Watching the coolant temp on ET Mode during city driving the car allowed the coolant to drop as low as 51oC (123.8oF) before starting the ICE to make heat. This is the lowest I have ever seen the coolant get while in EV mode with heat blowing out of the vents.

I just figured out something new with the ScanGauge that IA(Intake Air) is the temperature of air in the engine compartment going into the ICE. For those with Grill Covers can monitor temps in there. I don't remember seeing temps higher than 125degrees during the summertime. That should not be a problem for Electronics under the hood :)

Paul

I just figured out something new with the ScanGauge that IA(Intake Air) is the temperature of air in the engine compartment going into the ICE. For those with Grill Covers can monitor temps in there. I don't remember seeing temps higher than 125degrees during the summertime. That should not be a problem for Electronics under the hood :)

Paul

Great point. In freeway driving the air intake temp with my upper grille cover is about 10-15 degrees warmer than ambient when the ambient is below freezing. In city driving the intake temp is 30-40 degrees warmer than ambient temp when the ambient is >32 degrees. I will pay more attention to the intake temp going forward to try to garner data about the relationship between ambient and intake temp.

One question, where is the intake? If it's right behind the grille then it will get more cold air than other areas under the hood. On the FFH I believe the air intake is up high, above the upper grille, at the line where the hood seals.