So the manual states the following (see below)

Does this mean I don't need to release the electric parking break and I can just drive off? On 2 occasions I've tried this both forward and reverse (gently stepping on the accelerator) and the car doesn't seem to go. Am I reading how this works wrong?

Automatic release - drive away release
Note:
The driver's door must be closed and
the driver's safety belt must be fastened
before this feature will operate.
Note:
If the electric parking brake warning
lamp stays illuminated, the electric parking
brake will not automatically release. You
must release the electric parking brake using
the electric parking brake switch.
Note:
The engine must be running and the
accelerator pedal must be pressed before
the drive away release feature will operate.
Note:
On hybrid vehicles, the vehicle must
be Ready-to-Drive as indicated by the green
Ready indicator light.
The brake system warning lamp will go off
to confirm that the electric parking brake
has been released.
Note:
The electric parking brake drive away
release makes starting on a hill easier. This
feature will release the parking brake
automatically when the vehicle has
sufficient drive force to move up the hill. To
assure drive away release when starting
uphill, press the accelerator pedal quickly.

No you are correct it should release automatically. Maybe you need the step on the accelerator a bit faster as stated in the manual in the last point.

Sorry internet connection too slow > double post

Edited by corncobs

It should release when you step on the gas like the manual says. We always use the parking brake when parked, but we don't count on it to release automatically for two reasons.

1. When you let off the brake with the parking brake on when in gear the electric motor tries to move the car and fights against the parking brake. The idle creep still happens and I can't imagine that this is good for the car.
  2. The fact that number 1 happens means that electricity is wasted fighting against the parking brake.

We consider this feature to be for emergencies or forgetful moments only and not for every day use. I've also observed when I have a forgetful moment that it doesn't always work. More than once I've put the car in D and have stepped on the gas only to have it lurch against the parking brake and not move. In those cases the parking brake didn't release as designed. After re-reading the info above from the manual it's possible that I was shifting into gear before putting my seat belt on in those cases and that this was the cause but I'm unsure.

Good info, I thought I had read the whole manual. Yea, I just leared about a new feature.

Yes it definitely works driving forward. There is a slight delay between releasing and moving, when you press the accelerator it won't initially move, but rather it releases the brake (which takes 1-2 seconds). That is usually enough time for me to think that it didn't work, but if you're in a quiet area you can clearly hear the brake release.

I did not think it worked in reverse, but I could be wrong?

Yes it works in reverse and yes it sometimes doesn't release at all, not very often though. I can't figure out what the sequence is that causes the brake not to release.

Edited by gkinla