Howie411

2014 FFH Titanium 1 Week Review

Hey Steve, another TXan :)

When I bought my MKZh I knew going in that I would not see the 45 MPG EPA numbers. The majority of my driving is at 75 mph on the highway, so I average 37-38 mpg. It gets hot as hell in Texas so the A/C has to be used. It gets cold as a witches you-know-what in the winter so the heat has to be used. The best I have gotten has been 39 mpg on a 1400 mile road trip. I am not complaining about these numbers since my Explorer gets 16 mpg on a good day. My ex-Mustang GT convertible was lucky to achieve 23 mpg highway. :)

Absolutely right on all counts. Hot as hell, or cold as hell, either way you need good climate control! Glad to hear you're getting 37-38, I'll keep an eye on things next trip as mentioned (but minimum 80 on toll 130). My Escape and my TL were definitely not the most efficient, but value-wise their cost was much more palatable :)

Rule of thumb I came upon while doing some highway driving.

45-55 = 47MPG+

65-70 = 43MPG

75-80=35 MPG.

You are getting what the car is going to get at those speeds. Try taking a casual trip on a weekend and keep it below 65 and see what it gets. Chances are you will see it in the 40's, then you will know.

Thanks acdii! Those are the new numbers I'll have tattooed on my mind for sure.

Again, if this is just the design/nature of the car, I totally understand that, . But the implication (and sales process) suggests you're going to get much better mileage than a standard vehicle, so I went Hybrid Titanium and figured I'd make up at least a chunk of it. (Not all, certainly) I'd probably have gone something a bit smaller and less expensive but with overall similar mileage.

Richard, I was not responding to anything you wrote regarding acceleration, but rather to another comment from someone else. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, not meant to be critical or defensive, just my opinion based on my driving.

Years ago I had a boss who said that there is no such thing as brutal honesty. It's one or the other, but not both. Honesty does not require being mean spirited, so I hope my posts fit that model.

Your posts are definitely always in the spirit of the forum.

I find that this forum is a great place for supportive and honest posts, with little to no negativity, and no sniping.

Cool, I didn't really take it badly, just making sure I didn't mix words trying to describe my "ailments" ;)

I've never heard that quote on brutal honesty, I actually want to read up on that. It's used far too often where I work, and being able to point out the difference between the concept and the actual meaning of the phrase would be an interesting exercise...

hybridbear:

All good points. I'll try to keep it around 65 tonight when I drive home and see if I see a difference. The 80/85 debate is more about me getting there in a shorter amount of time; on regular roads that usually ends up being a wash (being the speedy guy, having to contend with other drivers, etc) but the toll roads here are like a wide open Autobahn :)

Been busy, trying these tips over the next couple of days. Downside is since I reset the trip meters things are currently looking inflated. FWIW the trip meter last night and this morning, mostly stretch and go traffic, are about 43. LOTS of regen, and lots of slow speed stretches that keep in EV. It is definitely tiring as you mentioned, I notice I'm gripping the steering wheel with a death grip, and my foot is locked in a tense range of motion allowance ;)

So, still need a more open run to test. These routes are rarely used (1-3 times a month), so we'lll see how it keeps averaging in. I did notice the Avg MPG is different than the reported Trip mileage when you turn off the car, too, something I never looked for before.

OK, I signed up for Fuelly now too. Just a silly question:

They say send in info as:

MilesDriven GasPaid GasAmount

So, where does the MilesDriven count start from? I have about a quarter of a tank left right, so would I start counting from there, then send something like 112 3.85 13 when I fill up next? I.e. is the MilesDriven the "previous" MilesDriven and it normalizes over time? I can't imagine it's sent right before you NEXT fill up because you'd (I'd) forget the price I paid by that point :) (Although this is what the video suggest, saving your receipt, but that looks like if you use the Odometer vs Trip Miles method.) Since I reset my Trip B the other day in the middle of a tank I'm just not sure where/when to start.

Anyway, trying to be a good sport about all of this, as you can see :)

Been busy, trying these tips over the next couple of days. Downside is since I reset the trip meters things are currently looking inflated. FWIW the trip meter last night and this morning, mostly stretch and go traffic, are about 43. LOTS of regen, and lots of slow speed stretches that keep in EV. It is definitely tiring as you mentioned, I notice I'm gripping the steering wheel with a death grip, and my foot is locked in a tense range of motion allowance ;)

So, still need a more open run to test. These routes are rarely used (1-3 times a month), so we'lll see how it keeps averaging in. I did notice the Avg MPG is different than the reported Trip mileage when you turn off the car, too, something I never looked for before.

With time the death grip will go away and your foot and leg will become accustomed to the new driving style. It doesn't happen over night. Hybrids are a whole new world, and being that the FFH gets twice what its non hybrid 2.0 gets, it is well worth the difference in price.

One day you will have some "Walter"* ride your butt, then floor it to go around you, only to be stuck behind the person who was in front of you, going the same speed you are, and you will think to yourself, so, stupid, was that really worth the gas to pass me that I can go 5 miles on? :D Happened to me this morning, I am doing 60, have this "Walter"* in a Challenger ride my butt, then pass me, and ride the guy in front of me. We were both going the same speed, I just keep several car lengths between me and the guy in front.

Guess what, we both made it to the next light at the same time, and I passed him while he made a turn.

* Jeff Dunham fans will know this one. Dumba$$

Oh forgot to say that I love Walter ;)

JATR4: stock from dealer, will have to check later. I miss the tire pressure reading from my Acura; I guess the FFH just warns if something is too low?

JATR4: stock from dealer, will have to check later. I miss the tire pressure reading from my Acura; I guess the FFH just warns if something is too low?

Try setting at 44PSI, its what I have been running(which reminds me that I need to check now that is cold out)

Picked up my new 2013 Energi 9 days ago. When I checked the pressure after driving a few days, it was 30 psi--underinflated. I went back to the dealer and had them put 40 psi in the tires. Not a big factor with an Energi but definitely makes a difference in a FFH. I have been running 44 psi in all my vehicles for 8 years with no problems--except better mileage. I let the pressure drop to 40 psi in the winter.

The FFH only tells you if the pressure is low. My Pacifica would also tell me if the pressure was too high, which came in handy twice while driving through a hot desert. But if the FFH did have this feature, then Accdi would be getting a constant warning. I chose a compromise pressure of 39 lb., which I feel improved my MPG slightly without any detectable change in ride quality or tire wear, while still leaving a pressure margin for very hot days.

Thats where the tiny long drill bit comes in handy to kill that light forever! :) The Veracruz didnt tell you tire pressures, but did tell you which wheel was low.

So, the door sticker that shows my tire types etc says "Cold tire pressure" of 34PSI. Given I'm at 37ish already, seems risky to me to push it up further?

So, the door sticker that shows my tire types etc says "Cold tire pressure" of 34PSI. Given I'm at 37ish already, seems risky to me to push it up further?

There are several threads on this, is mostly personal preference unless you want to really push the limits one way or another (which is probably not a good idea). I went through 3 sets of tires on my 2010 FFH and drive with very few turns and at 40 psi was still showing more wear on the outside edges (both edges, not just one) rather than in the center. So I've continued with going 40 psi on my 2013 FFH, I think the max listed on the tire is 44 (not sure but I think so) but don't see the need to drive around with a ride like the Flintstones for 1-2 MPG... so I stick with 40.

Edited by jeff_h