Howie411

2014 FFH Titanium 1 Week Review

So I've had my 2014 FFH Titanium 1 week now and I wanted to give my opinion on it. (Just a heads up there will be a bunch of comparisons to my old 2010 FFH and my previous 2013 Ford Escape Titanium.)

So anyways lets see where to start. I am still on my first tank of gas, I show a little more then 1/4 of a tank left on the gauge and averaging 41.1 MPG, over all I am pretty pleased with the gas mileage I've been getting, on a few trips to work in the morning I've managed to get around 48 mpg. It definitely requires some abnormal driving techniques to achieve close to the EPA rating of 47. Oddly enough on my old 2010 FFH I hit 50mpg on a few instances of driving to work, so I'll be interested in seeing if I can manage to do that with this car.

Let me talk about acceleration/speed for a minute. Going from 270 HP on the Escape to 185 HP is a major "ouch", going from a stop light to normal driving speed (on say a 35-45 mph road, I feel like I'm lagging behind and everyone behind me is waiting. Once I'm up to cruising speed though I have no issues or concerns.

Next we have the technology, this car is a packed full of technology goodness.

Adaptive Cruise Control - Not sure how I ever lived without this, we are 1/2 way towards automatic driving cars.

BLIS - Had this on my last 2 Fords, don't think I can ever buy a new car without it.

Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist - I've used the warning but not the assist feature. Still to early to comment really on this.

NAV System - As much as people knock it (I myself being one of them) the Ford Nav system is much better then most other car manufactures, I've seen a lot of different systems and the Ford system by far is the best looking, most of the other systems look like a system from 5 years ago. Still annoyed Ford charges $200 for Map updates though, in this day in age when your phone has free gps and portable systems include free map updates this business strategy needs to be changed.

MyFordTouch - This system has gotten a lot better. With version 3.6 there is a lot less bugs, I just hope they can keep putting out good fixes without breaking things in the process. By the way they did a much better job in the FFH integrating MyFordTouch then in the 2013 Ford Escape, its also much easier to press the screen while driving.

Active Park Assist - Still haven't used this yet, and never used it with my Ford Escape. One of these days I will be brave enough to try it.

Now for a few annoyances:

1. While the touch sensitive buttons is cool and futuristic like, I find myself accidentally pressing them sometimes when I reach over to the MyFordTouch system. On a side note they don't seem to respond when wearing gloves.

2. Occasionally there is a small jolt when switching from EV to ICE while the car is stopped, happens rarely but I never had this happen on my 2010 FFH.

3. I feel like I'm sitting very low in this car, it may just be how the center armrest is but I keep finding myself readjusting, especially my left foot which I feel needs to be completely stretched out to be comfortable in the car.

4. I can't believe my HD Radio is broken out of the box (ie bought broken) and Ford still has yet to issue a fix.

A few extra things:

I can't say how much I love the design of the rear tail lights, why oh why didn't they add LED's to the front too.

This is the first Ford I've owned that has a center cup holder with auto adjustments for different size cups. It seems so simple, not sure why every car doesn't have this.

Remote Start is awesome, didn't have it on my 2010 FFH, but I did on my Escape, nice to have it back on a fuel efficient car.

In general I'm really liking this car, great technology, great looking and great gas mileage. Its hard to get all 3 of those in a non luxury car (let along 2 of the 3).

Nice review. I agree with you on the touchscreen and accidentally activating buttons by grazing them.

I also find this very annoying, reach down to get something from the storage under the stack and you hear 'boop' your hand got too close and activated something, then it's time to figure out what got activated. I'll take the old-fashioned buttons any day.

Its funny, the car does feel like its crawling, but it does move out pretty good, its just most people floor it when the light turns green. I even have people jump ahead of me when I drive my Flex. My wife really doesnt go past 2 bars, yet she can pull away from me from a light.

2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2k miles

So, I'm one month in, and am very very disappointed with the car. Average about 35 to 36 MPG, and that's after reading every tip on the forum (ok, all of the stickies and many complaint threads). Once I saw 40 in stop and go traffic downtown, which is someplace unfortunately I visit about once a year. Much of my driving is Round Rock to San Antonio, on I-35 and 130 toll roads.

I've pulled together a list of my issues and driving tips here: (assuming I'm allowed to post links yet) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvdH0xJLcVIidGFmSDByd2poU05nbjh3cHE5dDJRMmc&usp=sharing

I'm open to brutal commentary, additions, corrections. I'm taking it in to the dealer today who is aware of my frustrations (as is the Ford Twitter account...).

Besides the software bugs and design defects, it may well be that the car is capable of "somewhere" near the mileage they claim, but in an area of 65-85 MPH roads (yay Texas), where it's near impossible to even stay in the slow lane, it's not performing as listed. If they disclosed that properly during purchase, it might be a different story.

Anyway, I'm less ranty today than last week, but welcome your comments :) Many things may be nitpicky, but honestly if they add up to an overall bad experience it's just not worth it. I wonder if the 2014 is due a major update like the 2013's.

Did you test drive the car before buying it? It seems that you should have known about all of your complaints if you had test driven the car before buying it. The test drive should have then caused you to look elsewhere.

Hey hybridbear!

First, let me thank you for all of your posts and tips in the forums. Believe me, I've been trying them :) I did test drive twice, but all they had on the lot was 2013's unfortunately.

Second, and I'm sorry I should have given more context re: buying experience (and I've detailed this to Ford):

1) When test driving, the MPG was about 30, but was assured by multiple people that it was "just because of how it was being test driven, jaunting around the dealership". Ok, I maybe buy that, but actually shorter trips seem to work better for folks anyway. Re: the optimal highway speeds and relation to mileage wasn't disclosed, they said to "drive it like a regular car" (which was why I picked this hybrid).

2) The Sync/MFT/design/physical issues: unfortunately, these can only really be tested during ownership, using them day in and day out. They demo really well (and demo'ed by the dealer), but you have to be able to use them in real situations, in the manner you will use the car, to really see the problems. Case in point: bluetooth audio worked great during the test drives, and when first used in the new car. But plug in some different audio sources (an iPod, the same iPhone over USB vs bluetooth) and things start stumbling. Song titles randomly display or not, both in the MFT or in the dash readout. Anyway, the Master Reset has helped the connectivity issue for now, but I don't want to plug anything else in and dork it up.

All my bitching aside for the moment, what are your thoughts on the numbers in the photos I posted? It seems like I'm doing everything "right" per the Coaches and so forth...is there some golden ticket I'm missing? If I could get decent mileage, I might be able to hold out for a Sync/MFT update. There are real bugs in there, though, not just my personal preference (losing heated seat control, getting stuck in reverse camera, nav taking too long (and randomly) re-computing.

Sorry for the blunt tone and lack of context joining. I really meant this is a request for help/verification, and to see if other 2014 owners "see" the same issues, or notice them over time. So please read it as such, not just a complete rant :)

Oh, and regarding the tip list I compiled, I don't want to seem like I'm knocking any tip/method anyone came up with. I was more listing them as things tried and kind of from the mindset of "if someone bought this car and didn't google this forum, and read various threads with tips and technical analysis, would they get the expected usage/mileage out of the car".

Ugh, yes I really did come in on a negative tone and was more looking for a discussion of 2014's which are still kind of few and far.

Edited by Richard Goodwin

Curses Flickr trying to embed a Flash box. Here are the photos:

http://www.richardgoodwin.com/skimages//Fusion_-_a_set_on_Flickr-20131202-162211.jpg

As far as a normal route test drive, it wouldn't have occurred to me to ask them to let me drive it 120 miles (a common trip of mine to San Antonio, or even halfway). Maybe that's something I chock up to learning the car buying process :) (This is my 4th or 5th I believe.) I did take it up and down 35 a bit but as mentioned it was kind of hand waved away.

The 2014s come with a new software drop, 4.x. Here's a picture of some of that data. http://www.richardgoodwin.com/skimages//Finder-20131126-162101.jpg

So it's possible it's an entirely new branch with its own set of bugs and optimizations yet to happen (depending on the computer components in 2014 vs 2013).

I totally get the bit about the break in, I just hate to do another few thousand miles on it only to find no difference (and the resale value has gone down).

Anyway, completely working to see what can be made of the situation. I hope that folks would be in agreement that before purchase of this car, they should disclose 1) it will take significant changes to your driving techniques to get the most of it, or 2) you will get mileage in the much lower range.

I'm again thinking of, for ex., my father in law. He's a professional, an "intellectual" if there was one, very high in the financial analysis sector, and has driven primarily Lexus for many years. Now, he marveled at the Fusion when he rode in it the other day, but would he have any interest if he was told "break it in, learn to coast and feather the pedal, accelerate slowly, and understand how the climate control affects the whole process". (I'm paraphrasing of course.) The answer would be "no way", I would think.

I'm still here, still reading, TOTALLY willing to admit being wrong and ready to learn if there is something that can be done to make me love it like the day I drove it off the lot, and as you guys and gals love yours! :)

I'll have some more data on a short ride later today when I take it to the dealer to be looked at, and then a few longer commutes (~ 60miles/day, 3 days in a row).

I've tried the "keep it in EV" with Empower, I've tried to go strictly by the Coaches, I've tried the pulse->drop off the pedal to kick to EV->try to keep controlled speed in EV. (Like another poster said, it tends to keep dropping in speed no matter how hard you try. Keeping in mind I have to do 65 minimum give or take, if that helps the equation.

Will read that thread, and now off to dealer for them to give it the once over. Continued thanks!

Hey dalesky!

Many good points! I wish I knew there if there was an update in the works for this one, since all you 13'ers seemed to love it :)

A question: besides the Trip 1, Trip 2 records, I can't seem to find any way to get to my Lifetime records. I've gone through the displays, and tried like the videos say to turn the car off and either wait for the Trip mileage data to disappear or push the control down. Neither work for me. I'd love to get in there, and hell I'll even do the reset of those figures if there is some inaccuracy.

As to the SOC reset, is that a big deal for a factory new car I wonder (no updates, yet ;) )? I'll keep reading.

Oh, and the dealer experience a few minutes ago. I mention to the service advisor that I'm seeing mid 30s, when people elsewhere have gotten plenty in the 40's; she looks aghast at me and says "I've never heard of anyone getting in the 40's!". I'm thinking she misunderstood what model I had.

Oh, and I'm not sure where the comment about torque or power came in. It definitely has both! I think I might have mentioned that I had trouble keeping it at high speeds in EV mode w/o the speed dropping. That could be a factor of the road, the wind, the electronics, who knows. Just an observation :)

Seems like your average speed would be fairly low (2k miles for just over 79 hours of driving would be somewhere around 25-26 MPH on average).

This may be a dumb question but you don't spend a lot of time idling for whatever reason do you? If the majority of your driving is at high speeds like mine, I would anticipate that number being higher. Most of my driving is around 65 MPH and my average speed on my last tank came out to be about 44 MPH.

Tough to say on average speed; the roads i'm on 90% of the time are 65+. As far as idling, once per day I idle for probably 5 minutes waiting to pick up my daughter from school.

Richard - The 2014s eliminated the Lifetime MPG Average. I think Ford felt it was better for their image if the lower mileage that drivers get during the initial break-in period wasn't always factored into the MPG that is displayed. You have the option of never resetting Trip 1 or 2 so that it will give you lifetime figures.

Your 2014 should have all the updates and improvements that were developed over the past year by Ford for the 2013. I personally don't think a SOC reset will change anything on a 2014 this early during ownership. Besides the break-in period, I think your lower MPG is related to one figure you gave - 85 mph. Most of us here have found driving over 75 mph will put you below 40 mpg, with 85 mph being closer to 30 mpg. Aerodynamic drag is a big factor in this, and it affects all cars. Prior to owning a FFH, I probably averaged 75 mph on the highway. Now my average is around 69 mph, and I still pass more than half the other cars on the road. Chances are you will be a more relaxed person after making this change, and with the FFH you'll enjoy the little more time you spend on the road.

One of the factors during break-in is the computer learning your driving habits. You just have to be patient and let this happen.

I never sacrifice speed on the highway to keep my FFH in EV mode. The computer puts it in EV when conditions are right between 65-80 mph and I don't try to force it to stay in EV with anything other than smooth driving.

B25Nut,

Well that's a shame about the Lifetime values. I reset Trip 1/2 this morning to clear that part up at least.

The problem with going 69 on a toll road of 80 and 85 (which means 85 and 88) is that 69 is likely to get you a) a ticket for going to slow / impeding the flow of traffic, and/or b) an increased time to commute. With 2 hours door to door I'm already up pre-crack of dawn, so adding on that extra 20-40 minutes from not taking the available speeds is a bit too much. I'm actually a quite relaxed driver, I avoid traffic/other cars if at all possible, and try to stick to the speed limits, with maybe 1MPH over. (Quite frankly at 85+ I get fairly nervous...)

I'm not a whiner (really?), but had they said to me at 75 I would lose any benefit of the FFH, I hands down wouldn't have bought it. I completely agree that the higher speeds are going to eat mileage on ANY car, but my gas guzzler TL (that I traded in for this) could pull 26+; there's a delta of ~5-8MPG or less there (based on my last trips), which wouldn't warrant any kind of premium for Hybrid in my book. I'd trade it back in a second if given the option. That's where I feel the strongest/most duped: I told them specifically my main driving routes, and the reason for trading up to the FFH for the long trips on the toll roads to recover that milage. I did read over the EPA ratings and their calculators now, and the 47/47 seems even more misleading. But on the flipside now I know how wary to be in the future :)

I'll keep an eye on the next longer leg to see the EV performance and usage at 80+. (I believe at 83 it cuts out completely? If so what is the fuel economy of the straight ICE?)

I'm actually pretty ticked that my "sales advisor" just passed me off to Service, where I am pretty sure they'll find nothing. He basically said "hey we didn't design it", and then the service advisor said what I quoted above; sounds like they are pretty much going to disregard any concerns. If I get the time to drop it off for 2-3 days I'll still give them the chance to go over it. I can't imagine what they'll find, but hey, I didn't design it either :)

As always, I thank you all for continuing the discussion. If you get tired of the talk, just tell me so I can stop bothering you all :)

When I bought my MKZh I knew going in that I would not see the 45 MPG EPA numbers. The majority of my driving is at 75 mph on the highway, so I average 37-38 mpg. It gets hot as hell in Texas so the A/C has to be used. It gets cold as a witches you-know-what in the winter so the heat has to be used. The best I have gotten has been 39 mpg on a 1400 mile road trip. I am not complaining about these numbers since my Explorer gets 16 mpg on a good day. My ex-Mustang GT convertible was lucky to achieve 23 mpg highway. :)

Rule of thumb I came upon while doing some highway driving.

45-55 = 47MPG+

65-70 = 43MPG

75-80=35 MPG.

You are getting what the car is going to get at those speeds. Try taking a casual trip on a weekend and keep it below 65 and see what it gets. Chances are you will see it in the 40's, then you will know.